Steelin' From The Masters DVD giveaway (The winners)

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Neer

Steelin' From The Masters DVD giveaway (The winners)

Post by Mike Neer »

Drawing is finished.

In the future, I will be donating 20% of my sales to the Non-Pedal Room at the TSGA for 2011. I want to go back and I want to see this continue. Money is a big consideration for the proliferation of the Non-Pedal room.
Last edited by Mike Neer on 19 Mar 2010 10:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jason Anderson

Post by Jason Anderson »

Cool! Got my name in :)
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

Great idea Mike. Many people probably don't know that Rick Alexanders legacy financed the room this year, and perhaps all the other years he supported it(it was my first). So ideas like yours are what it will take to help keep it going.

Great playing by the way, you make that Clinesmith sing. Hope to see you there next year.
www.deluxe34.com lap steel stands, Clinesmith, Gibson Console Grande, Northwesterns, The Best Westerns
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestWesterns
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Mike,....that's very generous and thoughtful of you....

We (Jeff & I) are brainstorming ways in which to fund The Rick Alexander Pedal Sessions for 2011 and to keep it going......we will be posting information on this a little later on......and I have high hopes for all of us (forum members) banding together to keep this in existance and the success that it has been.....
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

I would definitely be entering my name in the drawing, but I've already got mine.
And thank you again, Mike.
It's a great instructional DVD. Lots and lots to chew on for a long time.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Don't be shy, send me an email.
Brian Powell

dvd raffel

Post by Brian Powell »

hi my names is in as well :eek:
show pro SD 10 4/5 thomas SD10 3/4.2NV400. fender twin amp. evans fet500.proflex 2.boss super chorus ch-1 digitech digital delay.goodrich v/p elite pack seat.1962 fender tele.1961 kay guitar.epiphone mandolin .1945 0016 MARTIN.
Laurence Pangaro

Post by Laurence Pangaro »

So let it be written.

LP
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

So let it be done...

Nice one Mike!
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
Mark Giovanetti

Post by Mark Giovanetti »

There will be three very happy winners, for sure! I took delivery of my SFTM DVD 2 weeks ago and my wife hasn't seen me since! It is a VERY detailed look at a classic tune. I cannot recommend it highly enough for the many of you out there who began with Cindy Cashdollar's Western Swing, vol's 1 and 2. Mike's video covers more advanced techniques and has really helped me kind of break through a personal plateau. I am REALLY excited about the last chapter of the video, in which, Mike suggests ways you can use licks that you've learned in the solo in other styles of music. Very cool!!

Hey Mike - Any chance you will post a performance of the song on youtube?!?! :D
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Thanks, Mark. I'll have to watch the video again to learn the tune. :D

I may do that, but I'm starting another project right now.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Thanks for your submissions, everyone. Sorry I have not responded to your emails, but I've sent them directly to a folder made for the entries. Odds are still pretty good at this point (about 1 in 15).

I will keep it open until midnight tonight (12:00am EST) and then tomorrow morning I will have each of my 3 kids pick a name from the hat, fair and square. I wish I could give one to everyone, believe me!

I'll announce the winners here.
Mike Neer

The WINNERS

Post by Mike Neer »

My kids drew the following names from the hat this morning:

Peter Den Hartogh
Jim Cohen
Neil Cameron

If you haven't sent me your mailing address yet, please do so and I'll get these in the mail tomorrow morning.

Sorry to all those whose names weren't picked. I had 60 entries altogether.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Wow! That's great. Thanks for doing that, Mike. (And tell your son I'll send his check out in the morning mail. lol.)
Cory Dolinsky

Post by Cory Dolinsky »

That's not fair doesn't Jim play one of those steel guitars with some kind of a pedal contraption. :D
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Well, hey, you wanna just be preachin' to the choir? Maybe this'll inspire me to forego the pedals and learn some slant technique. Anyway, I'm makin' my debut on dobro this very weekend, so I'm kinda halfway there already... Hah!
Norman Markowitz

Post by Norman Markowitz »

That's not fair. I never even had the chance to bribe your kids!! Congrats to the winners. Grumble, grumble.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Jimbeaux......if you're in Dallas next year.....we'd love to have you perform in the non pedal room.....please give it some consideration.....
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Howard,

Surely you jest.
But thanks for the notion, just the same.

JC
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

You played well at The Reece Anderson Non Pedal Workshop that I hosted 2 or 3 years ago.....
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Mike, that's very thoughtful and generous of you to do that for Rick, and the cause. I know Peter, Jim, and Neil will be happy.

There are lots of great licks and teaching in this video, with nice camera angles and sound. All levels of players will gain something from this. He really breaks down a complex song, showing how it can be played without pedals.

Thanks, Mike. 8)
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I just finished watching this fine video from start to finish and Mike has done a superb job on it! He really takes you step by step (i.e., bar by bar) through the entire Emmons rendition of this popular tune, clearly demonstrating (with 3 simultaneous camera angles) how to play everything. And then, in my opinion the best part, he then shows you how to take some of Buddy's cool licks and use them in other places and in other ways. I think that's probably the most valuable part of all, since otherwise, hey, after you've learned to play one tune, what have you got? One tune! Unless you learn something more general from it that you can use in lots of tunes in the future, including ones you're not even thinking about right now. So, my hat's off to Mike for including that 3rd part of the video and not stopping at just teaching the one tune (even though it's a great one and you'll certainly have to master a lot of technique to be able to play it cleanly at tempo.)

Highly recommended!

Jimbeaux