#1: Nothings News

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Paul Sutherland

#1: Nothings News

Post by Paul Sutherland »

First tab: Something simple E9 in the key of C: Let me know if this makes sense, or if there is a better way to do this.

[tab]

4 8~8k
5 8~8 8 ~8a~8 15a~15
6 8 15b~15~15b 15
7 15
8 15

3 13
4 13 13 15
5 13~13a ~15a 15 15~15a~15 ~15a~15
6 15b 15b~15
7 15

[/tab]
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I notice on your tab you have a K for knee lever, this may seem like a dumb question,but I would like to know which lever it is?
Tommy Shownf
SMFTBL
Paul Sutherland

Tommy: Lower the E 1/2 tone. Next time I'll try to label things better. Paul
David Weaver

Post by David Weaver »

I don't have the tab for this so let me try to describe how I play it. It is a little different than you tabbed and I think it is easy.

I start where you did on 8 but instead of going to 15, I stay at 8 and pick 3-1-3-3KLower-3 - then I slide to 10 and voice it on strings 5 and 6 using the AB pedals to voice the phrase there.

Then I go to 13 and pick(3 ,4) then (4,5) together as shown. Then I finish on 15 with the voicing of the phrase using AB pedals.

I hope that you can figure out what I am talking about. If not, email me and I will tab it out.
Paul Sutherland

David: I had no trouble following your modification to the second phrase. Either way the notes sound correct to me. Your way seems a bit easier to play. I am not sure which way the studio guy played it. Probably best to know both ways, and then go with what works best for you and/or the band.

Thanks for offering your input. Paul
Dick Sexton

Tab?

Post by Dick Sexton »

Hi Paul,
I hope you got my "Blank Tab File" and it has been of some use to you. I find it easy to pull it up in Word, print a copy of the blank sheet to do the rough tab on, then transfer it to the tab sheet in the computer. When done, I use the "Save as" function in the "File" pull down, "Rename" and save the file. I've done this with most every tab I've written. Email me if you have any questions.

"Tab" has for the most part, never become standardized, with the exception of A,B,C pedals and E & F knee levers. One reason is, all players steels are not set up the same. I've found that if I use the note the change is pulled to in the tab, it is less confusing for myself and most people I've sent tab to. An example would be the "F knee lever", which raises the E to F. One other point of interest, I use "All Capitol" letters for the changes unless it is a 1/2 tone change on a full tone pedal, as on the "A" pedal, which would be "a" for a 1/2 tone. Instantly recognizable and less confusing.

By the way, I played both of your tabs and they are great. Thanks for putting them up.