Any More Buddy Emmons Surprises?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Thanks for chiming in, E'ster. :)

Forumites, it's stuff like the above posts by Buddy that make this Forum a very special place, serious information from the source of a good part of it.

I pity the fool steel player who misses out on this site.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Is this the "I took her off your hands" you are referring to? At about 2.05 there is a brilliant solo on steel guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRp9TwEvsmI
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Frank Harris

buddy emmons surprise

Post by Frank Harris »

really enjoyed recent picture thank you for that buddy and you look great
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Buddy,

Thanks for the posts. I want to share something concerning the split pedal story.

The last time I saw Jimmy was at ET's record shop....I was telling him how much I admired the friendship the two of you shared....IMO there is nothing more spiritually rewarding than having an extremely talented friend sharing musical ideas. I was lucky enough to have that same type of relationship with Mike Smith and I told that to Jimmy.....Anyway he told me that night that there wasn't a jealous bone between either one of you. He went on to say "Buddy always shared the split pedal discovery with me"...He told me it was "you" that gave him the idea to split the pedals. He also said later in that conversation that he wished he had pursued the single string playing approach that you perfected. I could see that he loved you like a brother and I cherish the memory of that conversation.

You were truly blessed with the gift of music. Your imprint on all of us is gigantic! I believe every living steel guitarist has been influenced by something you've played or discovered.

All the best to you,

Paul
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Paul: Thank you for putting into words what I could not !! It's so real and true it could hurt you !!

Regards, Paul
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Buddy Emmons was born to be exactly what he has been, the greatest steel player and inventor we will ever see for the pedal steel guitar. His contributions will never be matched. I always considered him to be the "Total Package". He has been qualified on both tunings, with speed, tone and being clean and smooth as well. He has invented so many licks that some of us are still looking for. I can say his music has blessed me for so many years. Seeing him play that steel with Speedy West holding reminded me of what I saw in St. Louis one year at the ISGC. Speedy West walked on the stage while Buddy was playing a frying pan. Speedy pointed down at the floor. They laid the guitar on the floor and Buddy got down on his elbows while someone held his legs in the air like kids playing wheelbarrow. It was one of the greatest memories I have at a steel show.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Buddy, thank you so much for all your music over the years. Thanks also for personally answering some of my questions in the earliest days of the forum.

I think this is one of my all-time favorite threads in almost 13 years on the Steel Guitar Forum.

The important historical content in this thread makes me wonder how all this information will be saved for future generations. b0b, maybe we need to chip-in for you to clone a hard drive for the library of congress?
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

It was a few years ago at the Dallas show, thursday night, I was sitting next to Buddy s table, I don't know Buddy on a personal level, and was just looking at him , thinking, Wow, The big E, felt like a kid looking at one of your Hero's, he got up and came over to me and said, Hi David, how ya doing, I thought, Holly Shi# he knows my name :whoa: I said , be doing a lot better if I could get my picture taken with you!!...and the picture was taken... :D

Buddy, I two would like to thank you for all you have done for Steel Guitar...as Paul said, you have influenced every player on earth....
Buddy Emmons = "B"est "E"ver
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

1983. In this world, how many people get to meet their heroes and watch/listen to them play their guitar. It was a powerful experience and I think that was where I got the "$10 bill".
Last edited by chas smith on 6 Mar 2010 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

(Deleted)
Last edited by Alan Brookes on 6 Mar 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

chas
I have one! From the mid-80's vintage.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I met Buddy in St. Louis '06. He handed me an ashtray in the lounge because I had an ash on my smoke about two inches long. (I've since quit, ha.) I had nothing original to say so I just said thanks. :)
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Lloyd Burl Brown

Post by Lloyd Burl Brown »

I first heard him in a live setting at the Big Fresno Barn around 1960-61 (with E.Tubb). My dad and I were posted at the PSG corner of the bandstand as we were most Saturday nights if there was a big star in town.

Like most of you at first listen, I was stunned (I was a kid of 15 or 16), I didn't know that the instrument could even do that stuff. But, even more than the amazing music he made; he was so kind to me, the bedazzled kid and my dad. He gave us the Madison address for ordering a Sho-Bud (permanent)ending my Bigsby dream.

He even gave us his father's phone number, imagine that, because I so wanted one of the "giant" aluminum bars he was using that night. His dad was a machinists/lathe operator in Elkhart as I remember it. I called his dad and he was just as nice as Buddy. He suggested rather than him making it for us that we should purchase a certain alloy bar stock and have them turned/nosed/polished locally to save time and money. We did. I had the black aluminum oxide hands for years to prove it. Long after Buddy Emmons had moved on to better bars, I playing with various configurations of those bars imagining I might one day play like him.

I just wonder how many thousands of kids have had their dream personally nurtured by his inherent kindness. I'm 65 now and have long since accepted the fact that I will never play like him. But then, will anybody? I don't think so. That's why he can lay the picks and bar down... and we can't.
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Wechter-Scheerhorn Resonator McIntyre + Sennheiser MZH 908b
Fishman LB100
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

when I saw him play in St. Louis and Dallas, it was amazing to watch other steel legends transfixed on his playing. Truly magical moments for sure.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

<< I believe every living steel guitarist has been influenced by something you've played or discovered. >>

Yes, all of us.
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

Buddy,
I was just thinking that you would be right in style on the CMA awards show these days with those mohawk hairdos
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I'd like to add, Buddy, that I imagine that on some level despite your pride in all your accomplishments and world-wide recognition for your efforts on some level, all this public attention must seem strange because after all, you were just living your life. You followed the things that interested you, tried to make a living , paid your bills, brushed your teeth, loaded your car for the next gig and somehow, along the way and now years later thousands of people want to tell you how much you influenced them.

Life is finite and ultimately, we wonder what legacy we will leave and if we will be remembered. You have that rare combination of a personal legacy in your family and a public legacy that will remember your name and contribution to American music for years to come. Not bad for a steel guitar player!
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Having read Paul Franklin's post about his friendship with Jimmy Day reminded me of the first time I saw Buddy at the '76 ISGC. It was Sunday nite and we were just about to leave. Buddy and Jimmy were watching Paul and Mike play from just off the side of the stage and I came up and babbled something incoherently to both of them. It was a Kodak moment, too bad I didn't get a picture of that.
Marcel Parijs

Post by Marcel Parijs »

Buddy,

Thanks for the story. We all miss you.

Marcel Parijs
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Buddy, I am shamelessly begging you to do a book, soon, while I'm still alive, ha. Man, I literally hang on every word you print. It gives me such a great insight to some of your thinking and the history of the psg. IMO, you are the musician that did it all and I personally have benefited just by listening to your music with this beautiful instrument. You and Ernie along with our grandchildren have been a great help to me as I get over my prostate cancer treatments. I know that sounds heavyl but I just don't care, I am a believer in honesty. Again, thank you and Ernie.
Donna Sherrard Williams

Post by Donna Sherrard Williams »

WOW what unbelievable history... Mr. Emmons, you ARE the steel guitar.... and that grin... well, that grin was another one of your gifts to us all :)God bless you in your retirement... and Boogie says to tell you hello :) and thank you for everything he learned from you... HUGS!
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

From the 1998 ISGC, this speaks volumes...

<center>Image</center>
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Donna Sherrard Williams

Post by Donna Sherrard Williams »

yep... that grin :D
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

I was at Scotty's convention in the 80's, and Buddy was playing. Next to me was Gregg Galbraith, an amazing guitarist, as most of you already know. I mentioned to him that it seemed like the music came directly from God and through Buddy's fingers. Gregg agreed completely.

Joe