Which Mic is best ?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Bull

Which Mic is best ?

Post by Jerry Bull »

I'm needing to mic my NV112's. Which kind is a really good quality for that? I don't want to break the bank, but I'd like to get something that's suitable for live and recording. Thanks in advance for everyones feedback ! - Jerry
www.psgpicker@gmail.com (Sierra Crown D-10 keyless)2-Nashville 112's, Steelers Choice, Hilton VP, Digitech RP150, Bobro, GeorgeL's cables, BJS Bars and Picks.
Gary Jones

Post by Gary Jones »

My favorite is still A Shure SM-57($99 from Musician's Friend).
I thought that the NV112s had an XLR direct out. Wouldn't using that be better than using a mic?

Gary Jones

With a sufficient amount of thrust, pigs fly just fine.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Sennheiser 609. Made to hang over the amp.

:)

EJL
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I am a fan of the Sennheiser e609 also. For around a $100 they come in very handy, sound fine and are sturdy. No need for a mic stand.
Bob
Jerry Bull

Post by Jerry Bull »

There is a model right above the e609, is it worth the extra few bucks?
www.psgpicker@gmail.com (Sierra Crown D-10 keyless)2-Nashville 112's, Steelers Choice, Hilton VP, Digitech RP150, Bobro, GeorgeL's cables, BJS Bars and Picks.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I use the Sennheiser e609 and the Shure SM-57. Both are excellent but the Shure picks up a little less noise off axis, like pedal clatter and other mechanical noises. If you record other instruments you may find the Shure a bit more versatile as well. It can take really loud sounds without overloading.

Greg
Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 4 Mar 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pit Lenz

Post by Pit Lenz »

The form factor of the sennheiser x09 mics is great: no mic stand,sturdy and lightweight to carry.
But if you have the chance, check out the older 409 or 509 (Sennheiser changed the capsule design at the later updates).
They sound a lot clearer and less muddy but still warmer than a 57. When you hang a mic right in front of the speaker grille, the proximity factor boosts the low end pretty much, and the older versions compensate that very elegantly.
If I use a 609, I attach a folded up mic clip to create a little distance to the grille to get around this effect.
If you want to buy new,I recommend to spend the extra few bucks and get a 906 instead of the 609.
This one has a switch to change the frequency response to match different situations.

pit
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

I agree with Pit. If you can find one, get the old 409. The Beach Boys even wrote a song about it... :)
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

SM-57
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

Ditto on the sennheiser!!
Ron Bryson

Post by Ron Bryson »

Audix i5
Wayne Franco

I agree with Eric and Bob

Post by Wayne Franco »

Sennheiser e609 is a great mike that doesn't break the bank.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

If you are wanting to record or play live, save your money on a mike and plug straight into XLR jack on back of amp. I get a better sound into a recording board or a live mixer with the line out than I do a mike. JMHO
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jerry Bull

Post by Jerry Bull »

I haven't had any luck using the XLR jack. I alway get real thin sound that I can't get rid of.
Gianni Gori

Post by Gianni Gori »

Sennheiser e906 or Shure SM57.
Sometimes an old Sennheiser MD421 too, the light grey one...
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

I mostly agree.

The new Sennheiser 906 and the classic Sennheiser 421 are great mic's for steel.

The Sennheiser 609 is ok but not as nice as the 906. The 906 is more like the original 409 which is the best of that bunch.

Brad
Jeff Valentine

Post by Jeff Valentine »

Sennheiser 421. I got to do some recording at Loud Studios in Nashville recently and that's the one they used on me. They said it's what Paul Franklin uses when he comes in.

-Jeff
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I'd say that probably 80% to 85% or more of amp miking is done with a Shure SM-57...... There must be a reason for that don't you think.....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Gianni Gori

Post by Gianni Gori »

I see two reasons for his... LOL
1) SM57 is one of the cheapest professional microphones available;
2) as long as people see amps miked with SM57 and get convinced it's the best way, without trying anything else, we'll all see 57's in front of 80-85% of amps!
Joking of course (or almost...) :D

SM57 is not bad but is not certainly the best "hard" dynamic mic. Is very popular because is cheap and sturdy and... not too bad.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

ditto on the Sein. I use a 609 or a 409.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.