Floormat for your Steel Guitar

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Tonnesen

Floormat for your Steel Guitar

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

I always carried an Industrial grade floormat with the rubber backing on the bottom and a type of cloth on the top. It was big enough to set the whole steel on and your volume foot pedal. When playing Casuals you never knew what kind of a slippery slope the Stage or Floor was going to be. The Mat really stabilized everything. Drummers also usually carry a Mat to set up on.
Robert Leaman

Post by Robert Leaman »

I use the extra nice mat out of the trunk on my Caddy Deville. It works well and came with the car at no extra cost. Deville is good basic transportation and all my equipment fits well into the trunk.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

The new McLaren http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/uk/def ... x#/gallery doesn't have a trunk mat, so I might not get it after all... :P
Paul Crawford

Post by Paul Crawford »

Well you can easily solve that! Just get a Bugatti Veryron http://www.thesupercars.org/bugatti/bugatti-veyron/ instead.

Since I had more modest goals, a rubber backed mat from a Big Box store for $5 works just great for me. I also made sure that it was wide enough for the seat as well as the steel which keeps you from sliding around when you overly exuberent with a knee level. (DAMHIKT)
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

I use a second hand 4x5 Persian rug. I'm just a classy guy. LOL
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

I use my old Navy Hammock....issued in the 60's...er 1960's that is...not 1860's...starting to look a bit Grotty though !
My daughter Jodie was also using it for Drum mat.....but band reckoned it looked so crook that they bought her a proper drum mat for Xmas
Tony :D 8)
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I used a Toyota floor mat for awhile, but it kept getting stuck under the accelerator and then I would play too fast and couldn't stop. ;)
Marc Mercer

Post by Marc Mercer »

Dang - !

Floormat...

Pack-a-Seat...

Drink Holder...

Bar & Pick caddy...

No wonder I can't play - I ain't got the right ACCESSORIES! :cry:

(I *was* thinking about a tonneau cover to keep the sun/wind/rain offa me)
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Dang.......

Floormat

Pack Seat

Drink Holder

Bar & Pick Caddy

Whew! I got all that stuff & I still can't play!

Back to the subject though, I have some of those 3' X 4" rubber backed rugs that the rental companies rent out to businesses. A uniform rental deliveryman I know sold a few of 'em to me for $10 each so now I take them to the gig(s). I use one for myself, the lead singer, & the bass man. They're nice and all the same color.....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Jim Cohen wrote:I used a Toyota floor mat for awhile, but it kept getting stuck under the accelerator and then I would play too fast and couldn't stop. ;)
Thanks for the tip Jim !!! I’v been a halffast steel player all
my life -- this may be a help :lol: :lol: :lol: :\
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I used to carry a piece of 5/8" MDF, covered with that kinda carpet-like stuff you sometimes see on cases. I cut a "monkey grip" hole on one end so it was easy to carry if needed. It was great on stages with long shag carpeting that had been there since '62. Also great for outdoor gigs, hay bale stages, etc..
Curtis G. Greene

Post by Curtis G. Greene »

Does the floor mat under the steel on hard wood floors give a different sound. If so, do you think the sound is better? Thanks, CGG