New Beard/Goldtone (solid) squareneck acoustic?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ben Sims

New Beard/Goldtone (solid) squareneck acoustic?

Post by Ben Sims »

Noticed this listing on Elderly:

BEARD GOLD TONE PBKG HAWAIIAN GUITAR SQUARENECK - Sweet smooth acoustic Hawaiian slide guitar, designed by Paul Beard and produced in Asia by Gold Tone. Features include laminated wood back & sides, solid spruce top, square mahogany neck, bone nut & saddle and gloss finish.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/BGT9S.htm

Sounds like an import version of the Beard K Model - i.e. a standard flattop guitar with square neck set up for playing Hawaiian style. Nothing on this at Beard or Goldtone web sites yet - anyone have some inside info? I prefer this style to the hollow neck for the music I play, so it's nice to see another option out there, particularly in this lower price range.
Beard Guitars

Post by Beard Guitars »

Inside info"? :D
Beard Guitars, LLC
21736 Leitersburg Pike
Hagerstown, MD 21742
301-733-8271
pbeardguitars@hotmail.com
Ben Sims

Post by Ben Sims »

Did I say inside information? I meant poorly-informed speculation, gossip, or paparazzi photos. :)
Beard Guitars

Post by Beard Guitars »

Oh..well, none of that for sure :lol:

I think I'll have an example of that guitar at Dallas, along with the new Gold Tone 8 string resonator guitar. The pricing on both guitars is meant to attract attention (it has) and eventually drive new customers up-market to our "K" and Auldridge models

I think both new models are great values.

It'll be a while before we do photography. You can always drop by and fondle them in person. Along with some new model hand crafted guitars.

h
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

8 string! cool - you got my attention!
can't wait to see it
Chris Kennison
Rhythm Cats - steel, guitar, banjo, dobro
Gold Canyon, AZ
www.rhythmcatsshow.com
www.seldomfed.com
Mark Deffenbaugh

Post by Mark Deffenbaugh »

What's the string spacing on the 8-string dobro? (Drool.)
Beard Guitars

Post by Beard Guitars »

We're shooting for the same 9.75mm bridge spacing that Mike Auldridge uses on his 8's.
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

Nice, so if possible bring one set up for C6, pretty please?

c
Chris Kennison
Gold Canyon, AZ
www.rhythmcatsshow.com
www.seldomfed.com
Will Jaffe

Post by Will Jaffe »

I had the chance to play the 8 string reso at NAMM this past January. I'm strongly thinking about picking up one. You can't beat the price.

Howard, any word on the 8 string Fishman pickup?

I'm curious if an 8 string reso, tuned in high C6 would have enough tension to load the cone for good tone?
Beard Guitars

Post by Beard Guitars »

Howard, any word on the 8 string Fishman pickup?
Actually...Yesterday I would have said "no". Today I hear that the Gold Tone PBS-8 is changing some attitudes. I can only keep y'all posted.
I'm curious if an 8 string reso, tuned in high C6 would have enough tension to load the cone for good tone?
That is precisely the question. I've played the Auldridge 8 and my older E body 8 tuned to C6 and they sound "OK". Tune it back to G6 and you realize how much more the resonator responds to those fatter strings. A significant difference.

I'm pretty sure any guitar I bring to Dallas will be tuned G6. The guitar will just "show" better. That should not preclude anyone from using the guitar as a C6 axe, especially as a recording tool.

I'm gratified there is so much interest in these guitars. Hopefully that will translate to demand :lol:

h
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

and drive you upward and onward to a more expensive purchase from us...as he says...
Will Jaffe

Post by Will Jaffe »

Howard, could you or Paul please keep me posted about the pup?

I sure hope Fishman goes for it.

My decision to order the 8 stringer hinges on the Fishman. Thanks!
Ben Sims

Post by Ben Sims »

seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

hi,
That is precisely the question. I've played the Auldridge 8 and my older E body 8 tuned to C6 and they sound "OK". Tune it back to G6 and you realize how much more the resonator responds to those fatter strings. A significant difference.
I've played Mike's 8 too at TSGA - sounds really nice. I'm excited to see a lower cost option - (that yes, may entice me to spend more in the future on other Beard products!:) )

So this then begs the question - why not develop a resonator cone (or setup) that responds well to C6 (and related tuning tensions). Why does G major tuning have to be the lowest common denominator for reso guitars?. Ok, Bluegrass is nice music and banjos are tuned in G..., and some early Hawaiian instruction was low bass G, but then what happened?

later, c
Chris Kennison
Gold Canyon, AZ
www.rhythmcatsshow.com
www.seldomfed.com
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Uhh...maybe because it's a tiny market, and someone could spend a lot of time and expense to develop a different "gauge" cone more suitable for lighter strings and only sell 50 cones in a year?

Actually, I've never figured out, beyond the obvious association with 5 string banjo tuning, why a G based steel guitar (or dobro) tuning is often presumed to have something to do with bluegrass.
Mark
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Why was the acoustic guitar version limited to only 6 strings??
Beard Guitars

Post by Beard Guitars »

1. I'm not aware that an 8 string was ever made.
2. Structurally..I'm doubtful.
3. I don't think there's much of a market.

It is what it is.

h
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Beard Guitars wrote:
1. I'm not aware that an 8 string was ever made.
2. Structurally..I'm doubtful.
3. I don't think there's much of a market.

It is what it is.

h
8 string dobro type instruments were not the norm either and yet you came out with one because of the added potential and I would say you must have seen a market potential.

2. "Structurally" there is no problem. Flat tops with 12 strings are common.

3. See 1.

I like the concept of your instrument so much. I have a recording session to play next week and was asked to bring a flat top for slide stuff looking for a sound that is not dobroish. I am looking at the 6 strings on yours and wishing it had 8. I know several players who have asked me to convert 6 string dobros to 7 and some who have had 8 string dobros built. I really believe 8 strings is a viable market. Perhaps an 8 string might be an option sometime.
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

Here's my 1947 Harmony 7 in DGDGBD w/E as the 7th string.
Beard Guitars

Post by Beard Guitars »

1.8 string dobro type instruments were not the norm either and yet you came out with one because of the added potential and I would say you must have seen a market potential.

8 string dobro type instruments were not the norm either and yet you came out with one because of the added potential and I would say you must have seen a market potential.

2. "Structurally" there is no problem. Flat tops with 12 strings are common.

3. See 1.
Well respectfully,

1. There have been 8 (and 10 string) Dobros made for years. Mike Auldridge really helped drive that market for us with his recordings and appearances with the 8 string resonator guitar. We don't see that happening with a non-resonator.

2. The 12 strings I am personally aware of are round neck guitars with different bracing requirements.

3. What can I say...We have a different view of the market and the risks involved in introducing new models.

And Bob..Thanks for the photo. What a cool guitar!!!

A gentle reminder...These are NOT BEARD GUITARS. These are Gold Tones and they have market requirements for manufacturing in quantity.

Call me if you are really itching for an 8 string sq. neck acoustic. If it is at all feasible we'll quote you one...

I never like to disappoint a potential customer. Just sharing our experiences and thought process.

regards to all

h