Carter owners tell me about your strings !

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Shane Glover

Carter owners tell me about your strings !

Post by Shane Glover »

Hi Guys I found out the hard way what a plain vs wound 6th string will do.For you new players the pull does not tune correctly, at least on my guitar it does not .

So my question is what strings are you guys using and where do you get them.I would like to buy the gauges suggested by the manufacturer. but I am finding if you get a plain 6th string others in the set are the wrong gauges.Any suggestions?

Thanks
Shane
Buncha CRAP !! But someday Ima get me some good gear !!
b0b

Post by b0b »

-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Shane Glover

Post by Shane Glover »

Hi b0b

I bought a couple sets of those strings from you. At the time I did not know a wound vs plain 6th string would make a big difference. So I am trying to find the correct gauge strings in a set. The problem I am finding is. The sets with a plain .022 6th string usually have 1 or 2 other strings in the set are the wrong gauge.Do you sell a set with these guages? 12-15-11R-14-17-22p-26w-30w-34w-36w for E9 I could not find a set like this when looking under strings on the Forum. But I could have just missed them.

Thanks for your help !
Shane
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

b0b, we were discussing this in another thread. Shane has a Carter Pro S-10, not a Carter Starter. Apparently the only difference in what the factory recommends for the Pro model is the plain 6th string.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Oh, sorry, I thought you were having the opposite problem. I can substitute plain .022 for the wound .022, if that's what you need. Same price.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Pit Lenz

Post by Pit Lenz »

Shane,
I´s recommend b0b´s string as well!
As stated above, you can have your personal customized set with no extra charge.

Fast delivery (even to Europe), and it supports this forum, too.

What a service!
thank you b0b
Rick Winfield

strings

Post by Rick Winfield »

I've been ordering from b0b, and adding plain 20's to whatever set. Usually the Jernigan stainless, for my Carter.
Rick
Last edited by Rick Winfield on 22 Feb 2010 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Never much thought about it, I have been using packaged sets , currently the Cobra Coil set has a plain .020 for the 6 ( Premium set ).
The Custom set has a plain .022. I have been using the same strings ( packaged ) for easily 5 or 6 years now. My Carter is a 04 /D10. I have had two Carters previous and used the same strings. Never any issues.

Not sure if this helps but it is more data !

t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Thomas Cepek

Post by Thomas Cepek »

Hi Shane !

I´m using George L´s strings on my Carter since I bought it new 11 years ago and never had problems with them. I use a wound 6´th string and always buy them from Al Brisco in Canada.

Regards... Thomas
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

I purchased 7 new Carters sometime ago, when I was playing there guitars. I always used a .020P on the #6 G#. This was S-10D's & D-10's. On the 3 12-U's I had, I found the 7th string,F# note would not tune true past the 12th fret. I switched from a .026W to .024W and fixed that problem. I really liked Bud Carters' designs and work.
Billy Carr
Restricted

strings

Post by Billy Carr »

Forgot to mention about the string brands I used on the Carters. I rotated between SIT's, Cobra Coils, Frenchy's Steel Mills,GHS & George L's. I couldn't really tell much difference except with Cobra Coils. I've been using nothing but Frenchy's Steel Mill strings since 2006 when I became a dealer for them.
Marke Burgstahler

Post by Marke Burgstahler »

Hi Shane,

I had the same misfortune when I subbed a wound 6th.

FWIW, I really like the Paul Franklin sets that bOb sells. Some of the strings are pretty darn heavy, but I get great tone out of them. I also prefer the nickel wraps - I like the sweeter tone.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and objects in mirror are closer than they appear... ;-)
"It Don't Mean A Thing If It Aint' Got That Swing"
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Shane, i had almost the same problem as Billy...i've used SIT EMMONS stainless for years and always had cabinet drop tuning problems with the 6th strings 22p and 7th 26w, i've bought a couple of Jagwire Strings set Stainless E9th (12-36) with a 20p and it helped alot with my problems, i never tried cobra strings but i really like Jagwire strings, i quess it all depends on how you pick the strings it took me a little while to get the sound i wanted out of the 20p 6 string compared to 22p, i've tried 6th wound and didn't like it for my kind of playing. :)
Comeau SD10 4x5, Comeau S10 3x5, Peavey Session 500,Fender Telecaster,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Precision,1978 Ovation Viper electric. Alvarez 4 strings Violin electric.

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Shane Glover

Post by Shane Glover »

Thanks for all the replies. Man am I learning alot about strings !! Hey Marke do you have any intonation problems with the heavier gauges in the Franklin set?
And thanks for the info on string substitution b0b.

Thanks
Shane
Jerry Bull

Post by Jerry Bull »

Shane, I use the Jagwire (Paul Franklin series)
I have used wound strings (6th string)in the past and had to re-adjust the rod on the bellcrank(and use a different changer position) to compensate for the different tuning characteristics of the wound vs. plain. However, after using the wound strings a while and discovering that I didn't like the wound string, I flipped it over and put everything back the way it was and went back to a plain 6th string. I like the heavier gauge of the PF series, but..... when the bar gets down to the 1st fret I have to adjust my approach because I get a little string buzz due to the difference in string thickness. To me it's worth the trade off, because I have a pretty heavy string attack style and the tone is much better with the heavier strings. JMHO
www.psgpicker@gmail.com (Sierra Crown D-10 keyless)2-Nashville 112's, Steelers Choice, Hilton VP, Digitech RP150, Bobro, GeorgeL's cables, BJS Bars and Picks.
Marke Burgstahler

Post by Marke Burgstahler »

Shane Glover wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Man am I learning alot about strings !! Hey Marke do you have any intonation problems with the heavier gauges in the Franklin set?
And thanks for the info on string substitution b0b.

Thanks
Shane
Hiya Shane,

I'm not noticing any. They make my C pedal pretty stiff, but I've learned to compensate for it. I love the tone of them. For a while I switched all of my 6 string electrics to .11 through .48....big ol fat tone and great for slide, but a real motha to bend!
"It Don't Mean A Thing If It Aint' Got That Swing"