Are Misdoubts Typically Archaistic?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

Are Misdoubts Typically Archaistic?

Post by Bill Hankey »

There is something brewing that suggests from my outlook a misdoubt that is typically archaistic. After a quick check of recently practiced songs, my eyes came to rest on one song in particular. For one fleeting moment, I was overtaken by an unreasonable misdoubt involving my abilities as a steel guitarist. I resisted the urge to skip the song, and learned shortly thereafter, that is was "a piece of cake". This definitely points to archaistic tendencies in the civilized human race. It may have bearings on differing CONFIDENCE levels among steel guitar aficionados.
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Probably. :?: :?

Arch.
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Indubitably.

Richard
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Arch,

I've seen samplings of your writings. It is my hope that one day you will feel the urge to move away from your concise style of writing, by producing the skills that have betrayed you. "You can "fool" some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time". Lurking behind closed doors, as the song goes, is a rough sport. It shares with the popular habit of peering through keyholes. I'm not particularly fond of keyhole reports. The forum is basically a place to grasp new methods that carry far by adding to a player's acquired skills. Offered through instructional commentary, it dwarfs some of the earlier instructional programs.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Bill, it's been my experience here on the Forum that you can fool some of the people some of the time. :)
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Bill -

Your post implied a simple question. Arch and I gave simple and succinct answers.

There's a book written in the early 60's - and now long out of print - entitled "How To Say A Few Words". Many others have addressed the theme in an effort to promote effective communication. Must all responses in a discussion approach the voluminous breadth of, perhaps, a doctoral thesis?

Is there no room for compromise in possible permutations?

Richard
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Richard,

Certainly not, if the permutation jumps out at you as if to intimidate, as you turn the page. Propositions are just that, propositions, nothing more.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Bill, When are you going to learn how to communicate clearly? You certainly come across as a very confused individual. You have my sympathies! I think you are in the need of help.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

tbhenry,

I find it very interesting to be confronted by an individual such as you, who did a wonderful job of hiding under a rock whenever there is someone requesting assistance. I haven't a clue of what makes you tick, but at this point I'm better off not knowing. Come out, and stop taking potshots! If you have a problem with my writing style, let's hear more about it. This will give me a chance to view your infallible commentary.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

b0b

Re: Are Misdoubts Typically Archaistic?

Post by b0b »

Bill Hankey wrote:For one fleeting moment, I was overtaken by an unreasonable misdoubt involving my abilities as a steel guitarist.
I don't understand. Is an "unreasonable misdoubt" the same as a "reasonable doubt"? If not, perhaps you could explain the difference. What exactly is a "misdoubt", as compared to a "doubt"?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Hankeyspeak.......

SS

BTW Bill, you were looking for tracks to showcase your playing. email me and I'll send you a few of the classic shuffles, but only if you promise to record with them, otherwise it's a waste of time.

SS
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

I just wish I had more than a sixth grade education so I could understand all this assintotic logic.
I am however smart enough to know when some one is covering up thier insecurities with artificial intellegence.
BD
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

'Archaistic', the word, is an adjective and must then refer back to the word 'misdoubts'.
The word means 'imitative of something in an older style' or, more simply, 'old fashioned'.

'Misdoubt', the word means 'having a lack of trust or confidence in'.

The thread is then about whether it is old fashioned to have doubts.

What is the point of a communication that is couched in such language that it can not be readily understood by those at whom it is directed? Making a mistake of this nature once or twice is acceptable, as one assesses the general mode of communication within the target group. Continuing to communicate in a manner which causes confusion and doubt within that sector smacks of elitism or a deliberate attempt to cause dissent. If ones aim is to engage in discussion around the very semantics of the message, as opposed to the content of the message, then there must surely be a more suitable forum in which to do so. If the intention is to introduce a point of discussion on the forum subject, then doing so consistently in a manner which is simply not generally understandable, is pointless and boring.
Surely, if one wants the SUBJECT to be discussed, then,said subject needs to expressed in a manner acceptable and understandable within the target group.
If the aim is to have the semantics discussed, since this is a steel guitar forum, the post is completely off topic.

Allan.....
Last edited by Allan Munro on 13 Feb 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Richard D.,

It appears as though I've struck a nerve in one Mr.Schlotzhauer. That duck portrays the essence of ignorance. It encourages others to display scorpions, spiders, and snakes. I had previously described the present day jukebox scene. Music? I think not. The graphic displays have crept into the homes of young America. There will be no winning this one. Mr. Schlotzhauer will see to that.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

b0b,

I would address your inquiry, for reasons of sincerity on you part. For the moment, I choose to disregard Allan Munro's flippant off the mark (Common with instructors) methods of setting about twisting a message written in household English. b0b, I pondered for at least 15 minutes with the same curious notion, that they've become an either or form of speaking and euphemisms.
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Bill Hankey
There is something brewing that suggests from my outlook a misdoubt that is typically archaistic. After a quick check of recently practiced songs, my eyes came to rest on one song in particular. For one fleeting moment, I was overtaken by an unreasonable misdoubt involving my abilities as a steel guitarist. I resisted the urge to skip the song, and learned shortly thereafter, that is was "a piece of cake". This definitely points to archaistic tendencies in the civilized human race. It may have bearings on differing CONFIDENCE levels among steel guitar aficionados.
Translation
Simply
I thought I couldn’t, tried it and found out I could..
Conclusion
This is not only a trait of the civilized human race but is most often associated with a little choo choo train.
The only thing that is archaistic here is the use of the word “misdoubt”.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Oh well, so we are to see threads by this poster as being in 'household english'. OK, then I will assume that most of us do not live in typical households then. Wait, I am probably wrong in making an assumption there. Perhaps the rest of you are in an environment where communication is carried out in the style of this OP's posts. I don't. Where I live we make an effort to be understood!
I would suggest that this thread is so far off topic as to be pointless within the stated scope of this forum.
I would further suggest, just possibly, that the OP sees the forum as a form of entertainment in and of its self. I base this on the obvious fact that he is sitting waiting and watching for responses.
Since the forum does not have an off topic section I think it is now time to call a halt to the 'look at me and all the big words that I know' way that things are going. Looks like a good archaistic ego trip to me.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Bill Hankey wrote:...There will be no winning this one. Mr. Schlotzhauer will see to that.
And there we have it! It's a contest of 'big words'. And we all know that a picture is worth a thousand of those. Nope, sorry, 'the big words' have to concede defeat.
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Alan, you have hit the nail on the head with an outstanding analysis of hankeyspeak. This has become annoying at the least, but humorous at the same time.

I suggest it get moved to Don't Understand where it belongs.

SS
Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
Marke Burgstahler

Post by Marke Burgstahler »

Sometimes when I turn on the TV, I see a show that I really don't care for. I just change the channel. Then, next time I see the name of the show on the guide, I remember that I didn't like it, and the plot and the acting is probably still just the way I remembered it.

*CLICK*
"It Don't Mean A Thing If It Aint' Got That Swing"
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

*CLICK*
JCFSGC member 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Fender Stringmaster D8,
"83" Emmons LeGrande 77L SKH D10 8 & 5,
"67" All Original Telecaster & Original Owner
"86" Peavey Factory Modified NV 400,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10"s, RV-3, Upgraded chip set GE-7 EQ, CH1 Chorus, DS-1, Hilton, BJS Bar.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Bill's writings put me in mind of something I once saw:

"I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I didn't have time to write a shorter one."

An odd concept, but it actually makes a lot of sense.

b0b - thanks for asking the question I was going to pose.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Bob closed a topic sometime ago,about not being able to understand it, the words not being in English. Words about some plants he said where not English,so that was it. Boy I'm happy Bills use of English is so understandable. Joe
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Sesquipedalian effluvia.