What's your favorite "small" amp for PSG?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Greenberg

What's your favorite "small" amp for PSG?

Post by Mike Greenberg »

I imagine that this topic has been covered before, but I can't seem to find the posts on it.

I have a NV400 that I really love the sound of, but it is often just too loud for many of the situations that I end up playing in.

What amp do you look to when you need good (great?!) tone at a relatively low volume??

Thanks for your input in advance!!
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Nashville 112!
JE:-)>
Emmons D10PP 8/4 -75'
Emmons S-10PP 3/4 - 79'
Emmons S-12PP 3/4 -78'
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

Nashville 112
John Groover McDuffie

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

Fender Deluxe Reverb and/or Fender Blues Junior.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Technically, I don't think of a NV 112 as a small amp, since it has ample power for most jobs. I have used a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on low volume church services and really liked what I was able to get out of it.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Nashville 112 :D
Mike Greenberg

Post by Mike Greenberg »

Wow!! Thanks for all the replies. Looks like it might be time for me to look for a Nashville 112.
Richard Chapman

Post by Richard Chapman »

I use my Princeton Reverb. My NV112 is the big amp.
Paul Crawford

Post by Paul Crawford »

The Fender Blues Jr is hard to beat. Small, light, great tone, enough power for small venues.
Brian LeBlanc

D-Luxe Reverb

Post by Brian LeBlanc »

...must be a 72
'Frenchy' LeBlanc...
ShoBud & Twins
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

If you come across an old Yamaha G100-112 you may want to check it out. They're seemingly bulletproof, and go cheap. I like mine even better with a JBL D120, although it does add to the weight.
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

I dont even own a NV 112 yet,
but that's what I would use if I couldnt use my NV1000.
You didnt say how small,
but these are my favorite really small amps for steel:

Peavey Blazer 128
Single channel 15 watts with a Blue Marvel and reverb.
Headphone jack disables speaker which is nice for practice.

Peavey Solo

This old Solo outputs 10 watts using 8 "D" cell batteries (for those afternoon jams in the park), or 15 watts AC powered. It doesnt have reverb, but its got two channels: a line input and an XLR/line input.

Needless to say, but I will...they're light!

Clete
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

I just repaired a friend's '67 Princeton Reverb. I happened to have my Sho~Bud at work today, so I played through it before he picked it up. Now, it's certainly my favorite.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Flat SICK about getting my BLues Jr with upgraded tube sockets an OLD from end tube and a Weber Blue Dog stolen. Probably 700 bucks alltold.. Best amp I've ever heard my stuff through.

My fave for what you mentioned is the Fender Frontman65r.

I just bought two of them to replace the stolen stuff, and am gonna BlueDog one of them for miking.

They're the best amp for the 200$ pricetag that I've found.. Light, lots of bass, and I haven't seen of heard a downside to them yet. A little trebly maybe.

JMHO

:)

EJL
Jeremy Steele

Post by Jeremy Steele »

Another vote for the Fender Deluxe.
Robert Kazee

small amp

Post by Robert Kazee »

5D3A Fox Vintage
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I just used my Peavey Studio Pro 110 for my onstage amp in the "Stand By Your Man" stage show at a Theater in Va. Beach. It's a little jewel with 65w RMS and a 10" speaker. I just looked at the speaker and it has no name on it so I don't know what kind it is.

I had only used it at home before the show but I took it to the first rehearsal only intending to use it for that. Then in the second week I went to rehearsal and they announced that we'd be moving to the main stage for the rest of the rehearsals. I didn't have another amp with me and to my surprise and delight, the little 110 just totally shined in that situation. So much so that I used it in all the performances and it sounded great. They put a Shure Beta 57 in front of it and ran it through the sound system and monitors.

I don't know what they cost new but I got mine from a private party a few years ago for about $50........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
John Gould

Small Amp

Post by John Gould »

Here's one that works great for steel but it's pricey.
When I was messing around with chord melody guitar playing I picked one of these up. I tried it for steel and was very impressed.

A couple of guitars
Nashville 1000 Fender Mustang III Boss Katana MKII 50
Emmons LeGrande II and Sho Bud Pro II
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I like class D bass amps from Eden, Acoustic Image, and Genz Benz, driving 12" or 15" Neo speakers. The whole rig weighs about 25lbs, and by being two pieces it's really easy to carry around.

Here's an Acoustic Image SL-R, 350 watts at 2 ohms, plus a great sounding digital reverb. The head is smaller than a cigar box.

Here's an Eden WTX260 with a Holy Grail reverb, a great sounding combination. 260 watts at 4 ohms.

I have a couple of other models of Acoustic Images, as well as a new Genz Benz that puts out 600 watts. I have a Nashville 112, but use these amps a lot more.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Peavey Special 130 is great for small to medium venues, one 12-inch speaker.

Darvin, do the Genz Benz amps truly sound good with PSG? A local music store has all their GB amps for sale, half off, and I can probably get a deal on top of that, so maybe I should consider that route. More details, please, and model recos.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Best tone ever for me with steel is achieved with either my BF or SF Deluxe Reverb.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

No question,

my '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb with a JBL K120.

Brad
b0b

Re: What's your favorite "small" amp for PSG?

Post by b0b »

Mike Greenberg wrote:What amp do you look to when you need good (great?!) tone at a relatively low volume??
Relatively low is relative. ;-)

I did a small room concert once with a Roland Micro Cube, miked into the PA. It sounded great!

The traditional Fender Princeton Reverb tube amp works very well for most small rooms. As a Peavey fan, you'd probably prefer the Nashville 112 though. The N112 is more powerful than a Princeton.

I use my Mesa/Boogie Maverick for almost every gig. It's 40 watts and with an alnico speaker in the cab it's not heavy. For big gigs I carry an extra speaker.

A lot of people who own an N112 find that it meets all of their needs. Nowadays, most of the loud venues insist on miking the amps anyway, so you don't need as much power on stage as you did 20 or 30 years ago.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Lee Holeman

Small Amp

Post by Lee Holeman »

I use an AER Compact 60/2 with a "dual" 8" speaker with my EXCEL U-12. Sold my NV400 due to weight (and old age).
Lee Holeman