Carter Steel Guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dwight Lewis

Carter Steel Guitars

Post by Dwight Lewis »

IS it true, Carter Steel Guitars out of business?
Dekley (PRS-10C), BMI S12
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

I somehow missed this news too, but it looks so.
My condolences to The Fabians and all at Carter.

Jan. 29: John Fabian passes - OnLine Memorial Service

Feb. 2: OnLine Memorial Service for John Fabian (CarterSteelGuitars)

Feb. 8: Carter Guitar closes doors (Feb. 8 )

Clete
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

All I have read posted on this forum from the only person I trust to know, which is Ann Fabian, was that they are "CLOSED" (due to John's passing).
I don't want to go into interpretations or try to project anything, but I seem to remember that they used to be "closed" over Christmas too, most every year, if I am not mistaken.
We were also informed that all parts have been sold to a yet unnamed trained person, but no word about the company.
Until Ann or the person who has apparently bought the "parts" makes a more definitive statement, which has been promised for April, I am not inclined to give much attention to rumors from thirds and rather just hope for the best.

John's passing is a tremendous loss to the SG community. Carter steel guitars ceasing to be produced would be an other most regrettable loss, IMO.

... J-D.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

From comments by Ann, Bobbe Seymour and another contact I have (that dealt with Carter as a vendor) they are out of business. The parts have been purchased by an individual or company in Canada. Whether someone else will buy the Carter name and continue manufacturing them ????
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

I agree with J.D. Rumors are just that. Nothing more, nothing less.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I don't think it's a rumor. Ann pretty much spelled it out right from the beginning:
We are now CLOSED due to Owner John Fabian's passing.

EMPLOYEES ONLY permitted in our shop at this time!

All inventory has been sold.

No more sales, service, information, or tech support will be offered from our shop.

No exceptions. Please respect this.
I added the bold to the one section.

We'll just have to wait to see if She sold the business, brand names, and patent rights to someone to carry on the name.

As a longtime Carter player (11 years), I am devastated by this news. I was even getting ready to sell or trade my 1-1/2 year old Williams because my Carter is a far better playing, and more comfortable guitar (people I play with like it's sound better too, as do I). With the current situation with Carter, I am hesitant now. With my luck, something will happen to my Carter and I won't have a backup.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Walter Bowden

Post by Walter Bowden »

I am curious, if what I'm reading from usually well informed and respected steel guitar players who, I don't believe, would spread rumors is true, it might mean the loss of the extensive resources, tips, tech/setup info and other steel guitar knowledge on the Carter website. It would be a shame if it becomes unavailable to the steel guitar community.
Other members are closer to those at Carter and I'm certain the family has much more to deal with right now than this. I wish them peace and God's grace.
I'm just hoping this part of the Carter legacy survives intact and open for all.
Emmons S10, p/p, Nashville 112, Zion 50 tele style guitar, Gibson LP Classic w/Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe De Ville and a Rawdon-Hall classical
John Burton

Post by John Burton »

Walter Bowden wrote:I am curious, if what I'm reading from usually well informed and respected steel guitar players who, I don't believe, would spread rumors is true, it might mean the loss of the extensive resources, tips, tech/setup info and other steel guitar knowledge on the Carter website. It would be a shame if it becomes unavailable to the steel guitar community.
Other members are closer to those at Carter and I'm certain the family has much more to deal with right now than this. I wish them peace and God's grace.
I'm just hoping this part of the Carter legacy survives intact and open for all.
+1 and well said.
:(
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

April isn't all that far off. But parts are always available, when needed, one way or another.

I'd say Bud would be the man to answer the questions pertaining to parts.

Carter is truly, a World Class Steel guitar, regardless of the other makes and models, they will hold their own with the best of the best.

I'd say things happened too quick, far to quick for all the answers. But the world lost a real fine man.

RIP John
Rick Winfield

Amen

Post by Rick Winfield »

AMEN Don
Rick
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I too will wait until April for a definite answer but the answer has nothing to do with my keeping my Carters. I just cannot fathom the brand disappearing maybe changing names but no going completely away.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

There hasn't been a functioning Sho~Bud company for almost 30 years, and no one is wondering if it's "risky" to own a guitar with that brand.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about owning a Carter guitar. They're as bullet-proof as any guitar currently on the market, and there's most probably an ample supply of parts in the hands of a knowledgeable steel mechanic who can handle the repairs.

Finding parts and support for Emmons PP's and Sho~Buds is now, and will be, far more problematic than getting Carter parts, I'm certain, once things get sorted out in the wake of John's untimely passing.

What would be a shame to lose is the excellent informational material that is on the Carter website. I'm under the impression that Ann is planning to keep the site going, minus the guitar ordering and purchasing information. I certainly hope so; we'll see what the future brings.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Marke Burgstahler

Post by Marke Burgstahler »

4 years ago my wife bought me a Carter S-10 as a Xmas gift - she knew I always wanted one. I love my guitar. Ann and John were always so wonderful and helpful. Ann took special care of my wife - she didn't really know anything about PSG's, just that she wanted to get me a pro instrument. I used to run into John at NAMM shows. I always went by the booth and thanked him for my guitar.

Sad day indeed. We've lost a great part of the community, and the Fabian family has lost a loved one.

I know this is a no-brainer, but Tom Bradshaw lives here in N. CA, and he is a real resource for parts and service.
"It Don't Mean A Thing If It Aint' Got That Swing"
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

I certainly don't have ANY say in this and I haven't had any insight in how the company was doing for yars.
Still, I think that if there is ONE steel guitar company which has a product which could be carried over by a professional minded person, it would be the Carter. The guitar was designed with many aspects in mind, including an effective production, repeatability... an industrial design. Many would be competitors and would be endorsers of these tried to pull the company, the people behind it and the exceptional final product thru the mud exactly for that fact; Carter produced a solid quality guitar at an aggressively competitive price in record times (for that "industry").
Many parts others still machined one by one, where extruded and just cut to length. You need a solid design to risk investing in dies. Bud and John had that. Really, I don't want to say that building Carters now "just" or "only" boils down to "assembling" them from parts coming from the various vendors. Let's not forget that WCS also broke some major new ground (again in this industry) on how to treat ALL customers and a proper use of the internet, beyond just sales or as others would, having a banner saying they build the world's best...

Therefor, from my limited point of insight, I would not see, why that guitar could not continued to be build by a knowledgeable, professionally minded and serious person. It would be utterly regretful that the company would fade away, again not just to many current owners but to future steel guitarist. Then, that "little" company has done more for the future of steel guitar than many companies.
Then again, what Bud, John and Ann built was more than a guitar.

... J-D.
John Groover McDuffie

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

Well said, J-D.

I love my Carter S-12, and, until the recent sad news, took peace of mind from the fact that I could always get another one if needed. I hope the company comes back somehow.
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

I agree with JD. Take whatever amount of time is need for mourning/healing. Then procced to assemble the person or persons required to reconvene the operation. If there was one steel guitar company I thought would withstand the ravages of time, it would be Carter.
This suggestion is in no way meant to sound like a simple solution nor to minimize a very sad, emotionally devastating event.