OnLine Memorial Service for John Fabian (CarterSteelGuitars)

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

Meriul and I have been out of the country till last night and just learned of this terrible news today. A shock to us as well. John contributed much to the steel guitar community and we will miss his presence. Our sincere condolences to Ann on behalf of not only ourselves but the Southwest Steel Guitar Association as well.

Billy and Meriul Easton
Las Vegas, NV
David Biggers

Post by David Biggers »

I am also shocked.
John always seemed so healthy and in good shape to me. Very active.
I bought 2 brand new Carter from John direct. He was all business all the time and I understood that of him. I was treated fair and with respect. Therefor he earned my respect right back.
We were not good friends but I thought he was a good guy to me. He was always friendly and said hello to me every time we saw each other.
Ann, I am very sorry for your loss and wish you well.
David and Gail Biggers
The Colony, Texas.
DFW Texas
chuck abend

Johns passing

Post by chuck abend »

My deepest condolences Ann
John was a good friend and would always do a favor
if you asked him.He used to record off the peavey
sound mixer in the 80's.
I sent him a case of cassettes and he made a copy of the 1984 steel guitar convention complete.
It is a treasure I'll always enjoy.
sincerly,,Chuck Abend
Jay Kardong

Very Sorry

Post by Jay Kardong »

I had no idea about John's passing until I got word in the newsletter from Steel Guitar Nashville this morning. I was shocked and deeply saddened to say the very least.

Although I was not what I would consider a great friend of John, he always treated me with the utmost respect and courtesy. He graciously took an hour of his time a year or so ago to walk me around the Carter factory, showing me with pride all the details and processes required to make a Carter.

He was a true renaissance man in every aspect, his knowledge and understanding of multiple facets was unparalleled, and I was in awe of all the ideas and plans he had.

I will proudly continue to play my Carter knowing I had the pleasure of "hanging" with John, even if it was only a short time.

I am sharing a picture I just revisited from that day when he introduced me to his world. Johns smile tells it all.

Best and Deepest Regards
Jay Kardong
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

Dear Ann,

What do you say to someone who has lost their best friend and partner in life? I've read your post every day, but emotionally have been unable to put my thoughts into words. I'm not even sure I can now.

Ann, we spent some time talking privately at Scotty's several months ago. Our conversation had nothing to do with John's health. But, as I replay it in my mind, I so clearly see and feel your respect and protection for the man you so dearly loved. That conversation touched me in many ways, Ann. Thank you for that time.

Now, I join the others in saying farewell to a very special man. I always enjoyed listening to anything John had to say. His comments were intelligent and insightful. His smile said it all.

Ann, I pray for you and your family as you continue through these difficult times. Please accept my heartfelt condolences and love.

Donna
Last edited by Donna Dodd on 6 Feb 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

Every time I sit down at my Carter I will think of John. It will be my private memorial to him.He was so helpful and the Carter website helped me find my way. The void in the steel community will never be filled. My deepest heartfelt condolences.
Thom Ferman

Post by Thom Ferman »

I'm just finding out about John's passing and like others am in complete shock. My deepest condolences go out to Ann and family. This a great and tragic loss to the entire steel guitar community.
Thom Ferman
----------
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

In the earlier days of Carter Guitars John would call me, even at work, ask me questions or give me hints of upcoming Carter product changes etc. I guess he saw something in me and my take of all of it that he liked, probably because we saw a look of it alike and he was looking for support.

Anyway I always loved talking to John and seeing him (and Ann) at the steel shows. I miss his out of the blue calls already. Ann call me whenever you want to hear a familiar voice.

Larry Behm
Damir Besic

John Fabian

Post by Damir Besic »

from everyone at Promat our deepest condolences. We pray for you Ann, as well as for the rest of your family...

Promat
Novi Sad
EU
Ole Dantoft

Post by Ole Dantoft »

Dear Ann,
I don't check the Forum very often these days, so I have only learned about this tragedy now and I'm as shocked as everybody else.

Please accept my sincere condolences in this very difficult situation !

Best regards
Ole
basilh

Post by basilh »

Sincere heartfelt sympathies to family and friends from this family.
Bill McKillop

Post by Bill McKillop »

Ann,

So sorry to hear about John's passing. Any dealings I've ever had with you and John were dealt with in the most friendly and professional manner. John and Bud also made me a great guitar that I use in every gig to this day.
John was always pleasant to me when I phoned and when he promised something,he delivered on time.

Our thoughts are with you at this time of loss.

RIP John.

Bill
Bob Taillefer

Post by Bob Taillefer »

Dear Ann and family,

We are very saddened by the passing of John. Please accept our condolences. May he rest in peace.

Bob and Debra
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

Dear Ann and family,
Our prayers are with you. I always enjoyed talking to John about the web, guitars, and music. I apprecited how he would take time to talk to me at the shows, even though he was very busy. ( both of you did), even though I'm only one of your many customers, you both made me feel important and valued. He'll be missed.
Chris
Chris Kennison
Rhythm Cats - steel, guitar, banjo, dobro
Gold Canyon, AZ
www.rhythmcatsshow.com
www.seldomfed.com
Bob Kindy

Post by Bob Kindy »

Ann & Family,
So sorry for your loss. May the Lord give you confort during this time.
Bob Kindy
Conroe, Texas
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I am remembering when I bought my Carter, I was in somewhat of a bind, needing a guitar to replace my Sho-Bud for a show that night. John had about six guitars on the floor so I asked him to play the same phrase on all of the guitars while my back was turned, and I selected the one that was most pleasing to my ear.

I played that guitar without any practice on the show that night, and there was no issues with it's performance.

John and Bud are the pro's of the Steel Guitar manufacturing business today.
Lonnie Bennett

Post by Lonnie Bennett »

To Ann Fabian and the Fabian and The Carter Steel Guitar family, we are lost for words of this sad news. John is a very inspiring person to be around. Carter Steel Guitar Co. was the first company to take an active interest in the Sacred Steel convention and community, we certainly learned a lot from him. On behalf of Chuck Campbell, Myself and the entire Sacred Steel community we wish to extend our prayers and condolences to Ann and her family.
Big Ben
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

I'm pretty sick. But John would call, out of the blue, and we'd talk politics, I'd whine about how sick I was, and John would be telling me about what a wonderful guy Charles Reece was. Never ONCE did he mention that he was sicker than me, or that he had anything wrong at all. What a lesson. What a guy! I miss you, John.
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

I just heard this news. I am saddened, and I pray the best for you, Ann.
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Louis Vallee

Post by Louis Vallee »

My condolences to Ann and John's family.
Louis

'08 Magnum D-10 8&5 * Hilton VP * Lemay MK-1 * Peavey NV 1000 * Rick Johnson Cabs * Walker Seat.
Steven McCauley

john

Post by Steven McCauley »

My condolences to Ann and John's family.
Pick in peace .our freind
Steven
John Gretzinger

Post by John Gretzinger »

I recently heard of Johns passing and am greatly saddened. I never met John, but spoke to him on the phone enough that I purchased an instrument from him, sight unseen. He was very patient answering all my questions (probably several of them more than once) and got me just the right guitar at the time. I was looking forward to dealing with him again on a new steel.

RIP - you will be missed but never forgotten.

jdg
MSA D-10 w/Nashville 400
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

Dear Ann, I am so very sorry to have just learned of John's passing. I am stunned! I was fortunate to have met John at a Jeff Newman's five day seminar in Fresno,CA back in 1991. We were pals the entire time and he kept ribbing me about my old MSA as he had the all black Marlen that he adored at the time. She was a beauty. He stayed in touch with me and I have to admit; although I hadn't purchased a Carter, I always put your Christmas card sent every year at the top of our collection. It meant that much to me. John was one of a kind and he will be sorely missed. We will all meet again in a much better place. Please know Ann, should you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

I am just now finding out about the passing of this fine man. I have known John for many years and never knew about his illness.

John was one of the good guys.

My extreme condolences Ann.

Rest easy John
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
DeWitt Scott

John Fabian

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I think I've known John as long as anybody. I remember him coming to the Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis when we were at the Chase Park Plaza hotel 34 years ago and he was always friendly. This friendly attitude was evident all through his life. He will be sadly missed. Scotty