Case replacement for PSGs?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

RD Bennett

Case replacement for PSGs?

Post by RD Bennett »

Ladies and gentlemen, I just rescued an old 3/3 Dekley student model in very nice shape from the clutches of a local pawn shop, where it had been sitting in the corner for a number of months. I fought them a bit and walked away with it for about the price of a Hilton pedal. Not too bad. It should be a great platform for my continued and continually humbling learning experience.

One little catch: No case. I don't anticipate the guitar will be moving around a whole lot, but on further reflection I'd like something to protect it when I do have to throw it around.

Has anyone built their own PSG case or come up with a creative solution to a similar problem?
Steven Dingle

Post by Steven Dingle »

ask Fred at http://www.fredjusticemusic.com/. He makes a case that would stand up to "United Breaks Guitars"!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Another vote for Fred's cases.
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

I too love Fred's cases. I have 2 split cases, a 4 space rack, and some speaker cabs. What great quality stuff he builds. He is also one heck of a nice guy.

On another note,
I have a D-10 Emmons case in pretty good shape. I dont use it anymore. It would be a little bit big.
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Hi RD,
I built a case for my first ZumSteel. If you have a table saw it isn't at all hard to do. I built it as a box and then cut the lid part off on the table saw. Just be careful and take your time.
Mike Dudash

Post by Mike Dudash »

I built a case also, not very nice but useable and very heavy. Next time I would buy one. For what I have in this one I could have. The hardware and good quality foam are the expensive parts.
Doug Rolfe

Post by Doug Rolfe »

Just let Fred do it. It'll be better than what you can make and just as inexpensive. I built one for my SD12 Dekley but would not do it again. It has good hardware on it but is way too heavy to carry very far.
Bobby Burns

Post by Bobby Burns »

Post in the wanted to buy section, and maybe someone will have a used one. A few times I've seen an old case listed free, just pay shipping and a forum donation.
Patrick Laffrat

Post by Patrick Laffrat »

Build it yourself, RD!
$60 and some hours for my WBS student.
Last edited by Patrick Laffrat on 19 Jan 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Take a look at Kevin Hatton's cases.
Split cases w/wheels...very cool.
Bobby Burns

Post by Bobby Burns »

I've built several cases, and It's a fun project. If I count my time at about Taco Bell wages, I could have worked at Taco Bell to pay for the case, bought one from Fred or Kevin Hatton. and had money left over at the end of the month. If I count my time at my regular repair rate, I'd lose money building it. I still build a case every now and then, but because I want a spare time project, and not because I think I'm saving money. A good free or cheap used one, is the only way to save.
RD Bennett

Post by RD Bennett »

Thanks everybody. I'll consult with Fred and/or ask around on the classifieds board.