Microsoft Vista & Windows 7 for BIAB?

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Bob Kagy

Microsoft Vista & Windows 7 for BIAB?

Post by Bob Kagy »

I have BIAB for Windows XP - I'm wondering what the future options are when and if I convert to Vista or Windows 7.

Is there any info yet on what possibilities there are? Are there BIAB's for Vista & Windows 7? Are there upgrade options for present XP versions? Is it worth upgrading to BIAB 2010 XP or would that be a dead end?

Any info appreciated.
Thanks, bk
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Should not be a problem. Check the BIAB website to be sure. www.pgmusic.com
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

COuldn't find anything on their website, so I've sent pgmusic a question about this. I'll post an answer when it comes. Thanks Rick.

bk
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I think you overcomplicating things. BIAB comes in two versions: Windows and Mac. Windows versions should run on all windows. There's not XP, Vista, etc... versions. If you have an older version you should upgrade, it's not expensive.

10. What are the recommended system requirements for Band-in-a-Box?
Band-in-a-Box runs on Windows 98/NT/ME/2000/XP/Vista, and requires a minimum of 256MB available RAM. Without RealDrums or RealTracks, you need a minimum of 300MB (for the Pro version), 500 MB (for the MegaPAK/SuperPAK versions), or 1 GB (for the UltraPAK version) of free space on your hard disk. More hard disk space is required for the RealTracks and RealDrums, about 100 MB for each RealDrums Set and 1 GB for each RealTracks Set. A MIDI sound source is required. This could be a sound card, a MIDI keyboard, MIDI sound module, or software synthesizer. We include a software synthesizer (Roland VSC-DXi) with Band-in-a-Box.
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

You may be right.

That being said, I've read some things about the XP to Windows 7 migration that suggest that there may be complications.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Bob Kagy wrote:You may be right.

That being said, I've read some things about the XP to Windows 7 migration that suggest that there may be complications.
That's why I went to Mac. You'll find that a lot people that are doing serious music and graphics applications are using Mac. I know why now.

:)
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

I sent a question to pgmusic on this topic. Here's their reply:
The current version of Band-in-a-Box is supported on Windows 7.

Thanks,
Dave
PG Music
Hope this helps any others wondering about Windows 7 compatibiity. As noted, Vista already works.
bk
Gil Berry

Post by Gil Berry »

I have windows 7 on a desktop and vista with my biab on a laptop. Windows 7 is so much better than vista you can scarcely believe they both trace their roots to the old digital research op system. Anyway, windows 7 has a "virtual" xp mode in which windows xp "virtual mode" runs as an app under windows 7 - and you can run your old xp programs in that window. I haven't tried to run biab on windows 7 yet, but I'm sure it'll do just fine. BTW, I just received biab 2010 today - WOW. It generates realtracks fast enough to actually make them USEFUL! The literature says three times faster; I'm thinking ten times faster.
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

Thanks, that's very encouraging. I have a very capable but aging PC that's outlasted its expected lifetime by quite a bit, so I'm looking at what would have to be done to upgrade and preserve all the accumulated stuff.

Sounds like there's nice bright light at the end of the upgrade tunnel.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I just had a new computer built so I would have the hard drive capacity to run all of the new BIAB material. I told the computer geek to stick with Windows XP. I didn't want to experience a compatability problem with some of my older programs.
Arthur Manning

Post by Arthur Manning »

I have a new computer with Win 7 and Virtual XP and BIAB 2009.5 Omnipak with hard drive it will boot-up in Virtual XP but has no sound. I placed a phone call to PG Support and thy could not fix it and the person that built the Computer said that Virtual XP my not support all Midi files. If some one knows how to fix this I like to know? I just ordered the 2010 with hard drive, maybe it will have the Midi sound for Virtual xp Thanks, Art M
Gil Berry

Post by Gil Berry »

Have you tried to run 2009.5 directly under Win 7 ? I have a hunch it'll work 'cuz most things that will run under Vista will run under win 7. I know 2009.5 runs under Vista ok....Anyway, it's worth a shot..... Gil
Gil Berry

Post by Gil Berry »

Erv, you may regret that...I don't believe Win XP can address as much memory as can Vista 64 or Win 7 64-bit and new programs demand more and more memory to run. On the other hand, though, if you have to upgrade later on, it's not a big deal....Gil
Arthur Manning

Post by Arthur Manning »

Gil Berry wrote:Have you tried to run 2009.5 directly under Win 7 ? I have a hunch it'll work 'cuz most things that will run under Vista will run under win 7. I know 2009.5 runs under Vista ok....Anyway, it's worth a shot..... Gil

Gil, BIAB will run in Win7 OK and will run in Virtual XP but the Virtual XP will not have sound. The V.XP has no driver for Midi and I can't install any drivers for the Midi on V.XP. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT Art M---NOTE: I just received my new BIAB 2010 hard drive and it will do the same as noted above.
Mike Hoover

Windows 7

Post by Mike Hoover »

I am running 2007.5 on home built computer running win7 64 bit with no problems, i forget what built the BIAB is, latest for 2007. system is Gigabyte MB, Intel Q6600 quad processor, 4 Gb ram.

Mike
chuck abend

mixer window

Post by chuck abend »

IHow do I get my mixer window back on the upper rt corner of my display

Chuck abend