Bill Staffords New CD - Smooth Melodies

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Floyd

Bill Staffords New CD - Smooth Melodies

Post by John Floyd »

Mr Smooth puts another one out of the park again.
I Luv it all, but my favorite is Ashokan Farewell. http://nashpropicker.com/forum/music/Ashokan.mp3
It takes a great Deal of Confidence and ability to let another artist (The Great Clinton Gregory) Introduce and play that much on your CD.
I've never heard any of the So Called Greats ever doing that, not even Curly Chalker.

Last edited by John Floyd on 14 Dec 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

I can only re-iterate John's enthusiasm regarding "OLD SMOOTHIE'S" latest CD. BILL STAFFORD plays such a soothing style, his tone is unmatched by other pedal steel players, whose tones for the most part are so similar to one-another. Bill really strives to bring out a wonderful quality to his instrument ... this new CD is yet another fine example of his Masterful playing. Hopefully, it is available in a retail outlet near you, but if not, I would urge many of you reading this thread to order a copy from Bill directly....You'll love it ! :D
John Floyd

I had Plans Of Putting a Sample on here

Post by John Floyd »

I had Plans Of Putting Samples on here, But it seems the majority of members on this forum are just interested in the Twangy E9th Generic bag of licks. This probably wouldn't be your cup of Tea.

Bills playing is certainly NOT generic, never has and never will be. I've been Friends with and have played a lot of music With Mr Smooth in the Last 42 years. He has always Done it his way and After 42 years it has become my preference to appreciate and play music this way too. He has always encouraged me to set my standards a little higher than than the majority.

Thanks for teaching me this lesson, Mr Smooth.

John
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I recall first hearing Bill play at Saluda ten years ago(back when I was an Asheville, NC resident) and, despite the fact that John Hughey and Herby Wallace were playing that day, Bill Stafford instantly became one of my all-time favourite steel guitarists. I don't think I've ever heard quite so much musicality and good taste on the instrument.

He was also kindness itself, and took a long while explaining his unique set-up to me. Lacking the courage to make such a change, I'm still soldiering away on my D-10s, but I often wonder what it might have been like had I done so.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Kenneth Farrow

Post by Kenneth Farrow »

Order how?? where?? how much $?? tell me all!!
thanx
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

http://mrsmoothu14.com/public_html/my%20Products.htm
You Can go to the above link and specify that you want The Smooth Melodies CD on the Order Form. The Pricing should be the same as the previous Cd's. $15 plus $2 shipping. Click on "Order Form" on the main menu

I Haven't been able to add it on the website because of some problems with finding the latest version of the website files to update. I have a new computer and have recently upgraded to Windows 7.
We will have this corrected soon.
Thanks for your interest in Bill's Music.
norm mcdaniel

mr Smooth

Post by norm mcdaniel »

John--I know a lot of guys like the E-9 stuff you spoke of but I long ago got over that. Mr Smooth is definately a great picker and I really love his style. Thanks for the Heads Up.

Norm McDaniel in Waco Tx