Fender PSGs - which came first?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Leslie Ehrlich

Fender PSGs - which came first?

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

When I see pics of Fender PSGs with the cable puller mechanism (e.g. 400, 1000, 800, 2000, etc.) I'm a little stymied as to how electronics evolved in these guitars.

Some models have a real skinny single coil pickup (kind of like a Strat pickup), while others have a wide single coil pickup (looks somewhat like a Gibson P90 or Fender Jazzmaster pickup).

Which version came first - the one with the thin pickup or the one with the wide pickup?

And as far as sound goes, I imagine that the thin pickups sound very bright and twangy while the wide pickups have a mellower tone.
Sho-Bud Pro III + Marshall JMP 2204 half stack = good grind!
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

The jazzmaster style pickups came first on the long scale 400s and 1000s.The skinny one came around the mid '1960's when the switched to the rocking cam bridge and shorter scale.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

This has come up before on the forum. Here are links to a couple of threads on the development of the Fender PSGs:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

I've got what I can only assume to be a '64 'transitional' model: It's got the shorter scale, new style changer and pickup, but the older stamped chrome pedals and pedal bar. It seems like, even though a new model was out, Fender wanted to use up any old parts still in the bins.

HTH.
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
b0b

Post by b0b »

The "wide" pickup is really a skinny pickup with a wide plastic case around it.

-๐•“๐•†๐•“- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

b0b, either that's a transitional model or someone swapped out the pickups from the covers. All my Fender pickups look like this. Sorry for the crummy photography!

My guitars are late '59'/'60 with no rollers.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
b0b

Post by b0b »

I think it's original, Dave. It's a perfect fit for the casing, and nothing else on the guitar had been modified. Maybe it was transitional. I don't know the year of the guitar.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

b0b.. I would do some research.. Those don't look like the original Fender wide "Jazzmaster" style steel pickup , unless indeed they did some sort of transition where they used up all the remaining square plastic covers.. Interesting.. The original rectangular Fender steel pickups under the cover look much like P-90 pickups under the cover.. Don't know whats in your 1000. Perhaps just a later "Jaguar style" pickup under a plastic cover that needed to be used up???? bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

b0b wrote:I think it's original, Dave. It's a perfect fit for the casing, and nothing else on the guitar had been modified. Maybe it was transitional.
Yes, that's an original (transitional) pickup. They made them like that for only about 3-4 months so they could use up all the bodies they had stockpiled that had already been routed for the larger pickups. Despite the differences in the design of the two (narrow/tall and wide/short) pickups, they are quite similar, soundwise.
b0b

Post by b0b »

What year was that, Donny? It would date the guitar pretty accurately, I imagine.
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Out of all the PSGs I've heard, the old Fenders have the brightest and twangiest sound I've ever heard. They are the Telecaster equivalent of a PSG. I wonder if Leo and his engineers had that in mind when they designed the thing?
Sho-Bud Pro III + Marshall JMP 2204 half stack = good grind!