Guidance re. shopping for a National

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Peter Goeden

Guidance re. shopping for a National

Post by Peter Goeden »

I'm a neophyte when it comes to National resonator guitars. What are the the variables that I should keep in mind when chosing between one National model/year and another? Did National make wood bodies? Did they have both round and square necks? Are there other resonator guitars with the same 'gritty' sound? Are they still being manufactured by someone? Thankyou!
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Your questions may be answered here, here, and here in more detail, but as a quick response:

1) Yes, National made both wood and metal body models.
2) Yes, National made both round and square neck models.
3) Depending on what you mean by "gritty" sound, there are many manufacturers who make biscuit-cone guitars (vs. the Dobro®-style spider-cone guitars).
4) They are being made by National Reso-Phonic Guitars in San Luis Obispo, CA. Get their catalog for a good overview of the various models they sell.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
John Dahms

Post by John Dahms »

If you haven't got years of experience with Nationals there is a lot to learn the hard way. It might be right to think about a new (or used) National Resophonic version. They are every bit professional grade, play in tune, are built by people who genuinely love old Nationals and want to do the name proud. They make many styles, tricone, single cone spider cone, metal, wood, etc., and they sound better than any resonator made in the last 70 years.
The old National market has a lot of worn-out, abused, mis-represented, poorly repaired and seriously in need of restoration guitars, just waiting to hook into somebody who is unprepared.
Of course there are real gems, wonderful pieces out there too, but do you want to play guitar or gamble?
I am not saying this to turn you off to choosing an old National (hell I can't help myself, I'm hooked),
I just want you to go in with eyes open.
If you become addicted to cone, you can buy an old one someday after you know how to drive one.
Time flies like an eagle
Fruit flies like a banana.