Wow! Never seen one of these before.......

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dave Zirbel

Wow! Never seen one of these before.......

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Click here!
Wish I could have it. I have a feeling it sounds good.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Ray Montee

Well now.......................

Post by Ray Montee »

I know a couple of gents here on the Forum who own such an instrument.

ONE lives near Dallas, Texas.........

and the SECOND lives in Portland, Oregon......

It would be interesting to hear, I agree.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

I think that NATIONAL is a real gem. I recall seeing a chap playing one of these when I was a kid. He had a 'hawaiian' trio at our local fair and in those days I thought he sounded really neat. Anyway, that was some 60 years ago.
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

the late OT Coffin had one of these. I wanted to buy but OT wouldn't sell. cc
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

Here's mine: National Electric Hawaiian http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

I had to rewind the coil around the blade so mine may not sound original. The pickup is Charlie Christian type with a big magnet underneath. Big advantage to the all metal body is the shielding. There is no hum.
I bought mine at a guitar show in Nashville for $250. Although, mine is a 6 string. Long long scale. Mine is tuned in G but I want to change it to C6.

It has major coolness factor on stage. Catches everybody's eye.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Obviously Mark isn't responding to having a seven str. like the seller's (but still a nice guitar). Are the rest of the Nationals mentioned above 7s, or the way more common 6 stringers? 7s are exceedingly rare.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Cuz of a "no cash" situation, I had to pass up a 7 string just like that about 10 years ago. It sounded great, and I favor 7 stings for lap.

Edited to add; The one I couldn't buy was $600.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

http://www.notecannons.com. Scroll down on the left to "Electrics."
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

I've got one exactly like it. It's a 1935 model. It has a height adjustable pickup and a nice long scale with real frets. It's a really great blues axe thru a distorted tube amp.

Dave, if your back around this side of the pasture, come check it out.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Thanks Danny!
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

My friend Gurf Morlix used to have one and maybe still does. They sound pretty cool.
I have an original hardshell rectangular case for one of those things if anyone's interested.
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

I'm interested Michael! Check your email, please.
Thanks
b0b

Post by b0b »

Surely the date is wrong. Electric guitars didn't exist in 1930, did they?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

b0b,
Ro-Pat-In started selling electric guitars in 1932 They introduced the "Frying Pan" in 1932/33. I guess National jumped in fairly soon thereafter. Great series of articles in Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Edited to add; The "frying Pans" were cast aluminum. I thought I read somewhere that the Nationals were cast of a different metal. Magnesium?
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

Mine sure feels heavier than aluminum. I should ask my brother the metallurgist.

Somewhere I got the date for mine being 1935. The pickup resembles the Epiphone Electar I have, big horseshoe magnet with a blade. My Electar is 1937.

7 Strings would be nice....

So these Electric Hawaiians are 26inch scale? I haven't measured but it is long...
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

John Billings wrote:I thought I read somewhere that the Nationals were cast of a different metal. Magnesium?
Zinc. Supro 'pans' as well.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Ah! Zinc! That's it!
Marty Smith

Post by Marty Smith »

that one is a 1936, I had a 35 a few years I sold for 700. It was good sounding but I prefered the tone of my 39 Electar at the time.I got it on ebay for 300.
M
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

I got lucky finding my old Electar. It was in a bucket at a Hamfest (Amateur Radio flea market.) I bought it for $15. Cool part of guitar history. It is not the fancy Electar, though. It is simple, wood body shaped like a Gibson. That pickup is also a blade with a large horseshoe with the original coil and kinda sounds a little dark. Signal is a little weak too even though Rick Aeillo recharged the magnet. (A very nice thing to do... Thanks Rick!)

When I rewound the Electric Hawaiian pickup, I used #38 wire but the coil got too big so I then used #41, I think. The sound is nice. More Pedal Steel than Lap Steel. Clear and chimey. It has very nice sustain, too.

I think Zinc is right. And no corrosion even on unpainted areas underside.
C. E. Jackson

Post by C. E. Jackson »

I have one which I purchased in 2004 from Charlie Norris, Texas Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Member. Charlie bought the instrument new for $67.95, and sold it when he went into the army. After the army, he owned Norris Family Music in Mesquite for many years and when a customer came in wanting to trade the instrument for a pedal steel in 1985, he repurchased it again. Charlie did some recording with the instrument and tuned it basic C6 with a G 1st string, and E7. He became a member of the Texas Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 1995. I am very fond of Charlie, and many of you probably know him. My instrument was made in 1935. I tune it to A6 and it sounds good. You can see the instrument on my website. http://users.telepak.net/~cejjrpe/guitarpage.htm
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

Wow, Mr. Jackson, very nice collection! I enjoyed your site.

Michael Johnstone was very kind to offer me a case but unfortunately my guitar is too long. I guess these came in different scales. Does anyone have an original case to fit an EH that is 38" long? I know... long shot but....
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

that little hunk-o-metal is kinda cute. a leetle pricey methinks.

danny..so you've got lots of little hidden treasures, huh? is yours a 7 string? how do you tune it? it would look cute next to my 37 bake-a-rick..6 string..my buddy has it's 7 string brother.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Chris, It's a six string. High to low it's E, C#, B, G#, E, D

I've got a Ric too... It's tuned E, B, G#, E, C#, A

One of these days you're gonna have to take a road trip down here for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. (notice I didn't say "Jam" ???) Haahahahahahahaahaaaaaaa !!!

We'll crank up the amps and scare all the cats out of the hood. :lol:
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

that's interesting on the ric...bottom of an a6 and top of an e tuning. i might just have to try that, lazy as i am.

somehow i'm sure we'll meet in person eventually whether we like it or not. i've enjoyed our e-relationship.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

I think you meant A major seventh... try Sleepwalk with this one. For a guy like you it's like going back to kindergarden. Especially with that fat ending chord on the 3rd fret.

But you better watch out Chris... this chord is so sweet you may get a cavity. Remember to always consult your dentist before playing this tuning.... :whoa: :)
somehow i'm sure we'll meet in person eventually whether we like it or not
I hope it ain't at Pelican Bay! :lol: