Reccomendation for a JBL D130F Recone

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marc Krueger

Reccomendation for a JBL D130F Recone

Post by Marc Krueger »

I figured you guys would know who is the best at repairing a JBL D130F. Thanks for the help!!!
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

They do all the speaker work for Ocean Way Studios here in L.A. They can use all JBL parts, or aftermarket for considerably less. No difference I can tell.

Woody Woodell in Nashville also does great work.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Woody Woodel in Nashville area, covers all the Nashville cats. Good enough for Lloyd Green and Buddy Emmons, good enough for me. Plus his services are very reasonably priced.
John Bresler

Post by John Bresler »

Marc:

Get in contact with some of the Portland area pickers and find out where they send their repair jobs. Might be a little more reasonable and closer considering shipping charges.

8)
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Woody is as close as your Fedex pickup, and probably would cost you around $15 to ship one way.

It ain't about "how cheap", it's about quality. Woody's been in JBL speakers since the early '50s. There are probably very few that even come close to his ability and experience. woody.33@comcast.net
Rich Hlaves

Post by Rich Hlaves »

Peter Freiberger wrote:http://www.speakerrepair.com/

They do all the speaker work for Ocean Way Studios here in L.A. They can use all JBL parts, or aftermarket for considerably less. No difference I can tell.
Over the years these guys, Orange County Speaker Repair, have reconed about a dozen speakers for me. All the work was top notch. They know their stuff.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

I love Woody's work. I've also had good luck with Weber VST.

Brad
Lee Jeffriess

Post by Lee Jeffriess »

There are a lot of very skilled recone tech's out there.
The problem is the cheap lumpy sounding after market kits, or the incorrect JBL E series part.
I think the only option out there is the Weber.
They totally nailed the non F gap paper to the edge hifi kit.
They also gave it greater power handling (60 watts)the original was rated for 20, and that was going down hill with the wind behind you.
Its a great option if your using a 50's Standel or a tweed pro/twin.
They also do the Fgap kits for 12's and 15's, I think there conservatively rated for 75 watts.
Lee
Marc Krueger

Post by Marc Krueger »

The problem is Weber is not reconing speakers at this time. I just picked up a JBL D130F that looks mint but does not work. I just want to get it fixed. The original cone looks great but I'm not sure they can save it after any repairs that are needed.
Ken Widdall

JBL repair

Post by Ken Widdall »

I use Orange County Speaker, here in Orange County, CA. They're well known, handle the biggies,and do free estimates if the speaker is out of the cab.
They recently reconed a D130F for $130 using aftermarket parts which sound fine, though they have the original parts as well for a few buck more. Obviously, your problem is in the wire "turns" or leads.
kw
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

What Lee said...but although they are not reconing they can recommend someone. You want a reconer who specializes in INSTRUMENT speakers, which many don't. Also, you want someone who will re-mag the speaker as well

I've had mixed results with OC speaker. Weber did all my work, but that's not possible now.

One other thing - you might consider a paper dust cap; it really rids JBL's of the harsh top end.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

James Morehead wrote:Woody is as close as your Fedex pickup, and probably would cost you around $15 to ship one way.

It ain't about "how cheap", it's about quality. Woody's been in JBL speakers since the early '50s. There are probably very few that even come close to his ability and experience. woody.33@comcast.net
I guess Woody Woodell is too big of a "secret".

I've seen folks step over a hundred dollar bill to go pick up a twenty dollar bill. But I guess that's their buisness.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Jim Sliff wrote:
One other thing - you might consider a paper dust cap; it really rids JBL's of the harsh top end.
It's in how you eq your amp. Ya have to eq paper, too. Eq'ed right, metal dustcaps sound phenominal. But like any of them, you can make them harsh, like you can make a paper dust cap harsh, too. JMHO
tomsteel

jbl recone

Post by tomsteel »

Im telling you from my own experiance.Woody has reconed a jbl d130 for me.He really does a great job,and personally I dont think anybody can do better.I put it in the 1975 ltd and it rocks.He is the man for you.He,s also repaired a session 500 and ltd,,the old small one.. and an old73 fender super reverb.He does great work.......Thomas Malugin
Lee Jeffriess

Post by Lee Jeffriess »

Boys, The point of my post is that no matter how skilled a tech you are, you are only as good as the kit your using.
If its not right its going to give you something different.
If you have a D 130 and you want it to sound like a D 130, the generic after market and E 130 kits arent it.
Weber did 2 years of RD on this, they knew there was nothing on the market that was totally correct.
So they filled that void, the only changes they made were, adhesives with better heat handling and a Kapton coil former that was manufactured to weigh the same as the original cardboard one.
Also pulp thickness for the cone, is period correct.
If it was me, I would plead with Weber to sell me the parts, and have Woody or who ever you like to do the work.
Lee
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Lee, no disrespect intended, but I wouldn't just assume Woody uses inferior parts. In his over 50 years in the buisness he has a bigger clue than you'd think. Why do you think he has won over guys like Green, Emmons, Beavers, White, Bouton, Atkins, ect. That's good enough for me.

If you got to dig up the "correct" parts for them to do a correct recone, you might think about using somebody else.
Lee Jeffriess

Post by Lee Jeffriess »

James, I am aware of Woody's reputation concerning JBL's and working with the Cain Sho Bud amps, and let me say I don't for one second doubt his abilities.
What I'm trying to convey is that Weber has I believe taken the time to correctly replicate the early Hifi and Fgap/K kits.
I believe its been about 4 years since they started making this kit, I had a D 130 reconed by Neils in Sac CA.
We used the paper to the edge 4 ohm kit for my Standel Artist I was using at the time.
After running tones through the speaker Mr Neil commented that's the best after market kit I have heard.
Believe me he was initially very skeptical, he didn't think Anything was up to the specs of the original.
Right there was a valid expert verification.
Now everything I have said about this kit or that kit doesn't mean jack, if your happy with the sound of a new JBL or Waldham part.
I'm not saying that Waldham or JBL are inferior.
I truly believe that's in the ears of the beholder.
All I'm saying is there is another more correct,option in your choice of parts.
If Weber will let guys buy there kits, then wouldn't it be great to have a totally period correct replacement and have Woody install it for you.
That sounds like win win to me.
Lee
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Like I said, Lee, no disrespect to your opinion, but I do not believe Woody would improve the recone jobs he does by using a Weber kit. I have A-B'ed his recones for me against originals I own, and Woody's sound as good, if not a little better. YMMV Wouldn't that be a kick if he WAS using Weber kits. :lol:
Lee Jeffriess

Post by Lee Jeffriess »

None taken brother, hey like I said its in the ears of the beholder.
I just think its cool that the folks at Weber made the effort.
To be totally honest Im a 418B man myself, but as Jed Clampett once said " thats what makes for horse racin"
All the best
Lee
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Hey Lee, Those 418's are a real sleeper--awesome tone!! I had played them for a couple years, but K130's edged them out---barely. The thing that I liked about those 418's was the string seperation--crisp as a new hundred dollar bill!! But the JBL K130's have got me by the heart strings. I have a pristine pair of original cones, and Woody is about to recone a K130 to 4 ohm for my twin. Peace, Brother Lee. 8)
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Allen's Speaker Reconing is where all the pro's go in Houston area. Talk to Ronnie Machac 713-852-2747.

Thanx,
Jim
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Marc,

I see you're in Anacortes. Might I recommend "Around the Sound" at 323 N. 105th St in Seattle. 206-782-7975. Carcel D. Balzer is the proprietor.

I just took in a JBL K-130. He knows what he's doing and has been doing it a long time.
Marc Krueger

Post by Marc Krueger »

Thanks Brian and everyone else that chimed in. I just got back from Around the Sound. I got lucky and it was a broken wire. I bought the speaker on Craig's list for $25.00 knowing that it did not work but it looked like new so I guessed it would be worth getting it reconed. Carcel replaced the small braided wires and did a great job of cleaning the speaker up while I waited. He tested it and said it should be good for a good number of years. He charged me $17.50 and told me to keep the receipt and if it needs a recone down the road he will credit me the cost of the repair on the recone job. I'm stoked!!! I can't wait to try it.
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

KAA-CHING!
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Hey Marc, wanna double your money?? :twisted: