question about instructional material

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Joseph Salesi

question about instructional material

Post by Joseph Salesi »

When purchasing books on, oh, let's say C6 tuning Hawaiian style, is the material based on an 8 string, 6 string, or both?

Thanks
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Depends on what you're purchasing. :)

I would say by far the majority of instructional material is for six string guitar, no matter what tuning is used.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Joseph Salesi

Post by Joseph Salesi »

Brad Bechtel wrote:Depends on what you're purchasing. :)

I would say by far the majority of instructional material is for six string guitar, no matter what tuning is used.
The problem is that when reading the description of the instructional material, it never tells you how many strings the instructor uses.
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

ALL the material for six string LS will work on 8 string, too, but the other way round might pose a problem, esp. for beginners who can't work around that by transposing 8-string stuff for the 6-string...

Which books / DVDs specifically are you looking at, I have quite a collection of instructional material, maybe I can tell you what stringing it was written for...?
Joseph Salesi

Post by Joseph Salesi »

Roman Sonnleitner wrote:ALL the material for six string LS will work on 8 string, too, but the other way round might pose a problem, esp. for beginners who can't work around that by transposing 8-string stuff for the 6-string...

Which books / DVDs specifically are you looking at, I have quite a collection of instructional material, maybe I can tell you what stringing it was written for...?
I haven't really looked at anything specifically. I'm just trying to find out which books/DVDs would be best suited for me. I'm going with 8 string, and I like the sound of C6 tuning... but I don't want real noobie books because I've been playing guitar and upright bass for 30 years. I'd like something to teach me the basics but then jump right into more advanced techniques and lots of songs.
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

Then the two Cindy Cashdollar DVDs should be right for you!
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Roman Sonnleitner wrote:Then the two Cindy Cashdollar DVDs should be right for you!
Meaning.......Cindy's 2 DVD's on Western Swing. She also has 2 DVD's on Dobro...which I will be using for one of my steels that I keep in Open High G tuning (lo to hi; G-B-D-G-B-D)