Break a third string.......OK But break a 10th string?????

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Lang

Post by Chris Lang »

Obviously the tenth string is the closest to you. So, it would naturally seem that you will strike the tenth string harder, than the rest.
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Some time back I had a 10th string break and was not playing it at the time it juist went pop. Since going to Jagwires on 5 different guitars have never broken a string in 2 1/2 years.

ernie

PS I use Herby's Jags.
Loren Nelson

Post by Loren Nelson »

The first 7 years of playing pedal steel I anchored my palm on the 10th string to get my hand position. I would push too hard on that 10th string and they would unravel or break from time to time. For the past 26 years I've been resting my palm lightly over strings 4 through 10 and have never broken a tenth string since, and I can leave a tenth string on for 6 months or more.
Keith Ballmer

Post by Keith Ballmer »

My steel guitar teacher slaped me in the face with his 10th string last year when it broke ...its really loud when it dose bust...
MARLEN S10 with a Crate V50 with custom speakers .. Local Artist 💪💪
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I just broke one last night. Winding came apart.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jack Mattison

10string

Post by Jack Mattison »

Thanks guys for all the replys........ Just got done changing my strings, useing "Ricky Davis" Jag's. We will see how they work for me, as many of you say they work real well for you. I think I need to watch my right-hand positioning as some of you have suggested. Also as some have said.... It just happens!!. Once again thanks for the help. Can always depend on you guys and this forum for help and answers. Thanks again. Jack<><
Little Round Mound of Sound. D-10 8/5 ShoBud "The Professional" Pevey NV400.
Richard Sinkler

Forgot to mention, I also use Jagwires. Strings were not that old, so it can happen even to Jagwires.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I had a 10 [.036] go on me just a couple nights ago same as Richard. I've had just about all of them break at one time or another. All major brands and various alloys. I pick with some authority, but I don't lean on my strings when playing. I'm not very good at changing complete sets. Maybe every 6 mos. or so, whether they need it or not. ;-)

Not such a big deal at today's prices. Actually, I think they're cheaper now than several years ago thanks to the packagers and dealers aimed specifically at our market. If they get to be 5 or 6 bucks a string, then we can start worrying.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

On E9 I've never had any string break except the 3rd. On C6 I've never had a string break.

My question about the 10th string breakage would be whereabouts on the string did it break, and what is your procedure for fitting strings. Some people are rough handlers when they fit new strings, and those people sometimes induce breakage at the tuners. Some people have sharp metal thumbpicks, and that induces breakage where you pick. A sharp nut will induce breakage there, but that's more prevalent on lap steels than pedal steels, as pedal steels usually have roller nuts. Again, a sharp bridge will induce breakage, but that's more prevalent on lap steel than pedal steels, which don't usually have a fixed bridge.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Back in the 70s when I played Sho-Buds and ZBs I used to break strings 3 a lot,1,4,5,6 and 10 occasionally. That got a little better in the 80s when when I was playing an MSA. Strings got better around then too. All that got a lot better when I started playing a keyless Sierra and it completely vanished when I went to an Excel keyless and Jagwire strings. I don't even think about it now and I got some hellacious 3 fret pulls on the 9th & 10th strings of my U-12 which I pump like Ralph Mooney on pills in certain rhythm and blues vamps.
Richard Sinkler

Mine broke when I wasn't playing it. I've broken other strings in the past without having any hands near the strings, just pressing the pedal. I actually have had a 10th string on my C6th break, actually the winding came apart at the bridge). That's the only string on C6th I can ever remember breaking (maybe string 1 when I used to tune it to G and raise it to G#). On E9th, I have had most of them break at one time or another. The one's I can't remember breaking are strings 2 & 9.
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Metal Fatigue or simply a bad string - happens to all manufacturers
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

I've never had a low B string break with a "snap". I only remember a very unceremonious breaking of the inner wire.
The outer windings kept the string from separating completely.
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Back when I played a "regular" E9/B6 Universal I broke a couple of B strings which were in the 9th slot instead of the 10th. About 5 or so years ago I dropped the low 12th string B and added a C# string in the 9th slot which moved my B string to the standard 10th string location. Since then I haven't broken any. I wonder if it might have been the added tension of having a longer string length when it was in the 9th slot that might have contributed to the breakage?........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!