GFI U-14 ***No Longer Available - Close It Up***

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Lloyd Burl Brown

GFI U-14 ***No Longer Available - Close It Up***

Post by Lloyd Burl Brown »

GFI U-14 Keyless 8&5 plus Wrist Lever
GFI U-14 on double frame. 14 string neck width narrows pad in an attractive way. Pad looks and is neatly fitted... doesn't look like an add-on like most others. Keyless Tuning, Lawrence 14-string Humbucker, a truly amazing and unique pick-up.

Mica is a grey/black simulated birdseye wood grain. Will include the Deluxe GFI PacSeat finished in matching Mica. Custom fitted D2F padded cover and the GFI (Cush style) case. All in pristine, as new condition. Never gigged.

This is a slightly amended U12/U14 E9/B6 Copedant in that it plays much more like a conventional E9 because the F# (8th string) is still there. It also creates very interesting voicings when playing B6.

Because I also play a D10, finger-roll muscle memory has led me to drop string one (G#). At first I felt feeble about that, then I heard Robert Randolph also plays 13 now... so I can feel better about it (LOL). On the other hand, many Universal players really like the G# on top of the chromatics (voicings again).

Now asking $1850 Free Ship Lower 48...was asking $2650 + Shipping... Bobbe said no way :( Yikes! But gotta sell, gotta pay for another. Deduct $150 if you don't want GFI PacSeat. Will give thoughtful consideration to all offers. As is the usual case, this guitar is also for sale locally and may in fact be traded with Bobbe Seymour (we're still dickering, LOL).

Last edited by Lloyd Burl Brown on 20 Oct 2009 8:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Wechter-Scheerhorn Resonator McIntyre + Sennheiser MZH 908b
Fishman LB100
Lloyd Burl Brown

Bump for price reduction (obviously needed vis a vis "zero interest")
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Fishman LB100
Lloyd Burl Brown

BTW, regarding the offer of FREE SHIPPING for lower 48. If picked-up here in Mountain View, Arkansas you may deduct $100 for combination of Steel with PacSeat or $75.00 if Steel only (just in time for our annual big event "BEANFEST"!)
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Fishman LB100
Lloyd Burl Brown

TTT --- Not very much interest. I'll give it a few more days before closing the listing. Could it be that the Universal's are losing the level of popularity they once garnered at the hands of Reece and Jeff?
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Fishman LB100
Lloyd Burl Brown

Pertinent quote from a private message:

"I think all the GFI guitars in general are hard to sell.. Alot of people just dont like the box look it has. They do sound very good. But to look at them they don't have much character."
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Fishman LB100
Lloyd Burl Brown

Pertinent reply to private message:

Yeah, I think you're right about the GFI "boxy" styling. Also, I think there is a general lack of "cache".

I think the image of "the working Man's steel" is sort of OK, but the key features, before tone and playability are even considered, seems to be "light weight and value pricing". Both good, but without snob appeal.

The fact that they are on average in the $3K's and not the $5K's (new)affects perceived and real resale prices. I'm asking less than half of what I paid for mine. Granted it was born in 1999 but is as "new" as the day I picked it up in Ft Worth (Arlington).

This while some elite brands have held or appreciated in value (perhaps worth it especially when rarity is factored, i.e., Emmons Wraparound, Franklin, JCH, et al).

Legendary player associations certainly contribute as well. But, at the end of the day, it only serves to prove the adage, "perception trumps reality".
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Fishman LB100
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Would it not be more E9ish with the tenth string `D` there, which would annoy a B6th strum? Nice looking guitar, though.

Arch.
Lloyd Burl Brown

Actually it's not as strange as it might seem on paper, that is unless you are prone to strumming or or commonly drag the thumb across the bottom of the open B6th, which to me is not something I would have want to do.

Moreover, I don't do a lot of open B6/C6 chordal playing WITHOUT pedal movement... and I rarely use the thumb for more than two notes with two fingers to produce 4-part harmonies... It's not often I play two notes a half tone apart, rare exception would be a raised 9th (or+2) sound, but the D becomes a bit more interesting with the "Bob White" pedal changes. I don't find it an annoyance... but at times it might require some natural avoidance... but I don't find it cumbersome or difficult to manage.

But, of course, as you point out it is much more important to the E9th scales. It is also true that the 12-string Universal players typically drop the D out of the E9. I personally wouldn'tconsider it... unless of course I had less than 13-strings with which to build the E9/B6 copedant.

But, there are many ways to skin the cat... I say to each his own. That is what's great about pedal steel.

BTW, the GFI is easy to change set-ups on, maybe not the easiest... but easy.

Good observation though, Cheers!
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Fishman LB100
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

Lloyd, hang in there. Many of like the "boxy" brands such as Williams, GFI or Kline keyless. The economy can use a real big lift. steve t
Anders Brundell

Post by Anders Brundell »

Lloyd: 14 strings pulls heavily on the frame; is there an audible cabinet drop? It's a 10 years old construction after all and maybe the alloys back then weren't what they are today.
Just curious to know if you've noticed any differences compared with a D-10 in drop tendencies.
Lloyd Burl Brown

Hmmm... the alloy question I would have to ask Gene Fields to field (NPI)...

But I would have to rate the cabinet drop as VERY slight... at worst... whether strung as 13 or 14 string. As you can see in my copedant I don't have any outrageous pedal pulls to exaggerate drop tendancies (such as three side-by-side or 4 string pulls) so it is a fairly "gentle" set-up.

The guitar is 24" string length, which is more than compensated "tone-wise" with the short keyless head. The string length and especially the keyless head combine to reduce string/frame tension.

And finally, this combined with the welded, and much shorter frame, makes it one of a select few guitars I would even consider for 14-strings. As you know many of the leading end-plate/wood apron guitars of the 70's and 80's were poor choices for 12 strings (S12 and especially D12)... let alone 14.

I have owned and played Sho-Bud, ZB Custom, LBB and Emmons D10's. This one is far superior to any of them. I've yet to play one with absolute zero drop... but I sure would like to... any suggestions?

By the way, fellow GFI players, how do you rate your GFI in terms of cabinet drop? Honestly, I can't tell any audible difference in the standard Emmons and Bob White pedal changes on GFI D10s (keyed and keyless that I've had the opportunity to play) and the same changes on my U14... however I have not strobe compared them.

Interesting question, Anders. IMHO it allowed me to bloviate about an exceptionally positive feature of this guitar (and all GFI's).
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Fishman LB100
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Lloyd, it's the universal question: `to D or not to D?`

Arch.
Lloyd Burl Brown

So very true (LOL).

Ya gotta luv it!
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Fishman LB100
John Groover McDuffie

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

What is meant by the term "Bob White pedal changes"? and who is Bob White?
Lloyd Burl Brown

Oh my... I'm showing my age again!

Bob White was a Texas pedal steel pioneer in the 50's/60's who has been generally credited with the foundational changes associated with the modern C6th tuning. In the typical 8-pedal D10 those changes are pedals 5-6 & 7. These pedals truly define and articulate Texas swing on the C6th.

Most of us associate the 1-2-3 and 8 to Mr. Emmons though that debate can go on and on as it was in fact evolutionary... but I'm comfortable ascribing these to Buddy Emmons.

4th pedal (Cmaj7)... I don't really have any idea.

I'm almost afraid of the potential Bruhaha this discussion could launch. Further, if I am found to be misinformed... I'm not yet too old to learn new versions of the "truth". LOL
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Fishman LB100
Lloyd Burl Brown

I'm sorry, I should have added that Bob White was best known as the longtime steel player for (and all-time favorite of) Hank Thompson and the Brazos Valley Boys. (Before such dignitaries as Bobby Garrett and Bert Rivera.) He was probably Hank's favorite because he had so much to do with "invention" of the Brazos Valley Boys trademark sound and style. IMHO, he was to Hank Thompson what Leon McAuliffe was to Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Fishman LB100