Sunday Tennesseean Newspaper-Steel Guitar Article

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Joan Cox

Sunday Tennesseean Newspaper-Steel Guitar Article

Post by Joan Cox »

Those of you here in TN..did you see the article in the Sunday paper? It's about a 5 page article about the steel guitar..It was in the "Life" section. It was done by a reporter that attended the last SuperJam..Some great pictures..lots of history..and interviews with several of the players who were there. There were pictures in the article taken at the SuperJam. Some really good ones of Jr.,Robby, and Johnny and a neat picture of Buddy and Hal. It went into detail talking about the mechanics of the instrument pointing out how it works, and how difficult they are to play. It was a well written article and gave our instrument some long overdue press. They had some neat pictures of Johnny's triple neck too. Did anyone see it?
Joan
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

We've already been discussing it over in Steel Players. Image http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/002339.html
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hi Joan thank you for the Information on the steel guitar. I copyed the whole thing and I will put it in my Rhode Island Steel Guitar Asssociations Leager that I have for my own personal file.I may have our Editor put it in our Quarterly news Letter.I seen you play in 1997 at the Alanta travaganza before you became Mrs. Cox.Thanks again and good luck to you and Johnny and both of you keep the steel playing going.
President R.I. Steel Guitar Assoc.
Sam White
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Sam, if you look at the web page again, that story is copyrighted. Maybe if you ask the paper and/or the author, you could get permission to reprint it, but otherwise you'd be breaking the law.
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

I called the paper,wanting to find out how I could use the pic of Buddy & Hal for the front cover of our next newsletter. They wanted $30,if you wanted a copy for your own "personal" use,& $200,if you wanted to reproduce it on any publication. Needless to say,we "opted out". Image

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
www.ntsga.com </pre></font>

Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

Damn shame that big business is so greedy !!

Smiley, You can use any of the pics I did at the jam at NO charge. a couple of them are almost at the same angle as the newspaper ones. See Buddy for details.

Bill
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Now just how much of those 30 or 200 smackers would go to Buddy, Hal + the Photographer ?
it's all about Money, ain't a d--n thing funny,
you gotta have a con in this land of milk + honey
Steelin'France<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 30 July 2002 at 12:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

I guess that makes it the land of milk and MONEY, huh?

Pretty sad.

Are these SG Organizations non-profit? If so, did you tell the Tennessean? That may make a difference, but it's pretty shameful in any case.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I'd still like to save the video clips to my computer "for my own use". So far all I can save is the link. Image Has anyone figured out how to save the .ram files?
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

OK so I won't have it in our news letter.I have a copy from my computer and I can copy that because it is my computer.Any thing on it is free to copy.The Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association is a non profet Organization and most of the money we take in goes to The Goslin Clinic in Boston Mass. for children with sugar Diabetes and the wish come true for kids.So you can see we are not in it for the money.We do it for the kids and to have fun playing our Steels.These money hungary Bs should rot in you know where.GREAD GREAD GREAD that is all it is.They are jealuos that the steel is making a big come back and we will make sure it does as dedicated steel players and Steel lovers.This guy Smiley in R.I. told me who is behind all this about putting the Steel Guitar down and the Boys won't run the steel guitar associations as there are to many of them.Now I went and put my two cents in the bucket.
Sam White<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 30 July 2002 at 09:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Sampler

Post by Bill Sampler »

I know this is an old thread, but this is a great article. What I would like to know is what song is Buddy Emmons playing in the video labled "Clip 2 Tearing it up..."

I've heard this song a few times and was just wondering if anyone knew the name.

Thanx

------------------
Bill Sampler
Carter SD-10 4x5
Nashville 1000
Yamaha SPX-90
Lexicon MPX-100
TC Electronic M300
Roger Evilsizor

Post by Roger Evilsizor »

Bill,
I believe this is without a doubt A Way To Survive.
Roger Evilsizor

Post by Roger Evilsizor »

Jim,
To save the video files to your computer, simply Right Click on the highlighted file name and then click Save Target As and press Enter after noting the desination so you know where to find it. This should work for you - mine worked fine. Hope this helps
Clint Queen

Post by Clint Queen »

Joan,
That same article came out several years ago, inside the same newspaper (Middle Tennessee). It was "borrowed" and distributed by several sources then and nothing, legality wise, came of it from their news staff. So don't sweat it.