What's that "sound" we're chasing?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy Gibbons

What's that "sound" we're chasing?

Post by Tommy Gibbons »

Not a style...but the sound. Where does come from?

Are you satisfied with your "sound"? Why?

This may answer some questions we haven't even thought of! I need all the help I can get.

Thanks, Tommy
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

Timbre in the body of your sound, crisp highs, mellow lows, great sustain, even all the way across the strings, tone that'll make your skin pucker. Get that and you'll know you got it right!
Michael Strauss

Post by Michael Strauss »

This is a great question because it doesn’t matter what instrument you play, we all want that sound. I haven’t been playing PSG long enough to have an opinion, but I have been playing bass for 40 years. It took me 36 years, 4 amps and 9 basses to get ‘that’ sound. To me it’s what I think that sound should be and I am happy, it’s my sound. I think to all musicians ‘that’ sound is not sounding like another musicians, but sounding like you. I believe if you can find a sound that is you, that’s everything. I believe too many people are trying to sound like someone else, how boring is that! All our idols, all these great musicians we hear are where they are because of their talent and finding their own style and sound. In my opinion, that’s what we should all strive for.
Carter S-12U, Sho-Bud LGD (80's), Fender Jazz King, Korg Pandora Toneworks PX4D, Modulus Q6, Ampeg B5R, Lapstick Travel Guitar mod to lapsteel
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Sound possibly could be the most elusive part of Music that we have to deal with. Everyone receives and interprets sound in his-her own brain. What sounds good, or bad, to you can sound sound completely differen't to someone else. Many times sound dependes on the acoustics of where your'e playing at. When playing in a Band, how many times when you think the overall sound is pretty good, that someone comes up and says "whats the matter with the band tonight "?. You can set your controls and effects a certain way but depending on where your'e playing they will not sound the same at a differn't location or venue. I will shut up, I'm starting to ramble !
Shane Glover

Post by Shane Glover »

I am new to steel guitar so I am still workin on that sound . But for guitar. Tele With a B & G bender a hipshot drop D and a MESA BOOGIE LONESTAR 212 !!
Marc Mercer

Post by Marc Mercer »

Looking behind me, I believe as a young man I set off on many disappointing searches based on other peoples' suggestions, opinions and recommendations. I certainly don't look at instruments, amps and signal processors the same way I used to... with age, I've simplified my approach to making music; rather than "chasing" a sound or attempting to reach some ideal in my head, I am content to concentrate on the link between my brain and fingers, and it gives me peace to see the relationship working. I'm aware that I have ingrained habits and make attempts to learn new fingerings, modes, scales. Not easy.

My current concept of good SOUND is as clean and unadulterated signal I can get (in an electric instrument); amps don't matter greatly to me, my choice at the moment is an old 15 Watt through a Jensen 15. I play to please myself.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'm not chasing a sound. I'm trying to play the notes right. I think that a lot of steel players are too hung up on sound or tone. They don't pay enough attention to music.

Pitch and timing are the most important things to me. Add note selection, if it's my choice. Next is getting a good balance with the other instruments. Putting the right emotion into your playing is important, too. Also, playing a style that's correct for the song.

Most steel guitarists have a very good sound, but many of them fall flat on the basic elements of music. Why waste time chasing the thing that's almost a given as far as the public's concerned? Can you play right? If you can't, I don't care how good you "sound".

I just got the remastered Beatles records "Past Masters". It's a faithful reproduction, and now I know for sure what I always suspected: Paul's bass sounded like crap. But his notes are perfect. Play the music right, and nobody will care about your sound.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I have to go with b0b on this, I want the Steel to sound good and I think mine sounds fine but I spend my seat time on the notes and the phrases..."the music".. It never made much sense to me to spend my days looking for the holy grail tone when I couldn't even play Steel Guitar Rag in tune.

One of the things which is a given is that each of the professional manufacturers are making quality guitars that already sound good. Sure , they may sound a bit different from each other but none are offensive , none have to be re-designed after you buy them to make them sound good. The Master builders have already done this for us .
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Robert Thomas

Post by Robert Thomas »

For what my feeling is:
One of Webster's definitions is "meaningless noise or racket" and that is what some who hear a Steel Guitar think of it. Another definition of Webster's I like is: "to make music".
As long as I do not try to emulate someone elses particular sound or phrasing and strive to make music that is pleasant to the ear, I am completely satisfied with my sound. I believe that we all should strive to make our music something that is pleasant to the ear, in other words not noise or racket.
Naturally we are all different, I, for example, have never been satified with the sound of any amp that was supposedly designed for Steel Guitar, that is just my opinion, but it does have a definite effect on how I and others perceive my sound. The people I entertain have never complained about my sound, but have always expressed appreciation and wonderment.
I think we are all aware that a certain sound can be very elusive.
Enough of me!
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Chris, the question is even more valid now..referencing that great LG moment where he has provided both performance and tone..

which are you chasing, that's the question....and which is the priority...

??

t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Good point, Tony. This recording certainly does nail both elements perfectly. Hopefully it will add to the discussion.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Colin Mclean

Post by Colin Mclean »

For me, I've pretty much got the sound I'm chasing. Problem is, it's a Carter Starter into an old Fender Vibrolux. So when I finally upgrade to a better guitar, I'll probably have to change amps! :D

Nah, probably not. I think the 10" speakers coupled with the tube rectifier are the bulk of what I like about the setup.

Warm, fat, chock full of harmonic overtones, and a little bit of "sag" from the rectifier!
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

I hold completely the opposite view to b0b :eek:

If I can't get a nice tone, I don't want to hear myself play, and I'll stop playing, even if the practice is necessary.
b0b

Post by b0b »

When I can play as good as you, Richard, then I'll start worrying about tone. :)
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

:D
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

b0b wrote:I'm not chasing a sound. I'm trying to play the notes right. I think that a lot of steel players are too hung up on sound or tone. They don't pay enough attention to music.

Pitch and timing are the most important things to me. Add note selection, if it's my choice. Next is getting a good balance with the other instruments. Putting the right emotion into your playing is important, too. Also, playing a style that's correct for the song.

Most steel guitarists have a very good sound, but many of them fall flat on the basic elements of music. Why waste time chasing the thing that's almost a given as far as the public's concerned? Can you play right? If you can't, I don't care how good you "sound".

I just got the remastered Beatles records "Past Masters". It's a faithful reproduction, and now I know for sure what I always suspected: Paul's bass sounded like crap. But his notes are perfect. Play the music right, and nobody will care about your sound.
Man, I wish I had said that! :mrgreen:

I'm with Bobby. I've got fine tone, couldn't be happier, but can't really play much. A lotta players worry and fret about tone when it's really their playing skill that's holding them back. Also, as Bobby alluded, plenty of pro players have a marginally good tone, and playing skills out the ying-yang. But, you'll notice that absolutely no pro players have poor playing skills, but wonderful tone.

Get the playing skills down pat before you obsess about the "tone" side of the equation.
Last edited by Donny Hinson on 2 Oct 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

I believe it's not sound, it's technique and feeling we are chasing.
Normally I'm not a fan of MSA, but when I hear the 'angel sound' from a slow playing Curly Chalker I could cry ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b75msHFynvU
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Chris LeDrew wrote:What's that sound we're chasing?

http://www.amazon.com/Person-Charley-Pr ... B000005YQB

Good one Chris, if a picture is worth a thousand words, how much is a DVD worth? :twisted:

When I first started on steel, I chased equipment and always sounded like crap--muddy and middy or shrill. The better my tone became, the more inspired I became, so overall, I can't really seperate tone and overall sound. To me, it is all part of the equation of making good music. I can hear some recordings of the '90's of some of the country acts, and the steel , though the playing is awesome, the tone is gawd-awful. Thus, it takes away from the overall song--actually a distraction. So you can still play great and still sound like crap. To me, it's a question of balance--tone should be good, yet avoid obsession for tone. Then learn your music and be more concerned with playing well.

Ricky Davis helped me cut through the chase by telling me to listen to some of Lloyd's early projects and ET with Charleton, which is what "steel guitar" was to me. I sold all my effects, and now just use amp reverb. I carry a boss RV3 for a backup. I love simplicity. You get very inspired when you love your tone. I don't play as well when I know my sound/tone could be better. Nor do I want to practice as much. I got to love my tone. I got to hear that "ear candy".

Ricky nails that tone/sound--what ever you want to call it, with his playing technique combined with period correct equipment for the style music he plays. That is the path I am on(Ricky is one of my mentors). So, the equipment of choice for me is a simple twin reverb type tube amp, old JBL's and an old shobud with shobud singlecoil pickups. The equipment is much better than I am, which leaves plenty of "headroom" for challenge and ability growth, for me. I play the type of music that was played with the equipment I now have, with a simple basic copedant. I get a lot of compliments on my sound as well as tone.

I will comment about sound/tone. Not only does it change to a certain degree when you play in a different place, even with the same settings on your amp, but sometimes it will sound different. Allergies will do that--cause you to hear your sound different, even though it's the same settings as last night. Change your amp to suit your hearing, and others come up and ask "what's the matter with your amp tonight?" or leave it alone, and they ask the same thing--sometimes you can't win. LOL. You might ask THEM if they suffer from allergies. See how subjective and elusive it can get? Like b0b says, just play your music. Get the tone you like, then get it set the best you can, and forget it-- just worry about playing the music. That's my un-edicated guess.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i'm with b0b on this one. that's why certain gods of the steel blow me away no matter what instrument they are playing.
Ray Montee

For me................it was the TONE!

Post by Ray Montee »

From the first time I heard JERRY BYRD playing 'Moonland'........THAT was the tone I simply had to have!

Have gone thro' several different types of amps and g'tars and believe I have finally found the combinations I long searched for.

If ever you get to hear Clyde Moody's old KING Record releases of "Too Young" and "I Love You Because"........I think you'll be better able to understand and appreciate my comment.
JR Ross

Post by JR Ross »

Right again bOb, When I was a young steelist I too have been guilty of looking for new equipment and placing priority on it instead of woodshedding. As time has gone on I realize that practicing should be the real priority over the latter.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

I have to say that I'm with Bob on this one as well. When I play I'm after accuracy, intonation, technique and making the proper musical statement.

What I've found over the years is that while following this method, if I combine the element of emotion mixed with "living the song" as I play, "that sound" or tone becomes an automatic factor. :)
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

It's in the guitar construction, amp, and amp settings. I've heard some very accomplished players sound aweful with their tone. So much so that other accomplished steel players in the audience were commenting about it like toilet paper being stuck to the bottom of his shoe. Totally embarrasing, but the notes were right. There is lousy tone guitars. Bad sounding guitar = bad sounding tone.