Laney Hicks on Midnight Jamboree

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bill Ferguson

Laney Hicks on Midnight Jamboree

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Just talked with Laney and thought I would let all of you Laney "fans" know that Connie Smith has asked Laney to do a guest spot with Connie on the Midnight Jamboree this Saturday night, 10/9/04.

I know someone that is way and I mean way up on Cloud 9.

We will miss Laney Saturday in Bristol, VA, but she assures me she will drive up EARLY Sunday morning for the Sunday show.

Bill
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I think it is great that Laney will be singing with Connie Smith. That's good news. Laney, I'm proud of you! Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel
Mike Sigler

Post by Mike Sigler »

Oh Man... My two Favorite chick singers togather.. Thats it!! im gonna cancel my gig this weekend and Drive to Nashville....
Connie is a great singer... But move over connie, laney is taking it to a bit higher level!!!!
Laney your still #1
Mikey
Doug Rolfe

Post by Doug Rolfe »

I'll never forget the first time I heard Laney sing. It was at Stony's Knoxville show and she sang "Once a Day" with Weldon Myrick playing and it just sent chills up my back. What a beautiful voice. Since that time, we have been blessed to have Russ and Laney at our Gospel Steel Show this year here in INDY. They truly blessed our hearts and THE GOOD NEWS-----they will be back to the 2005 Gospel Steel show. Can't wait!!!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Doug,
That's good news. Do you still let left-handed Norwegians in? Image
Erv
Wally Maples

Post by Wally Maples »

SHOOT! I'll miss Laney in Bristol but wonderful that she and Connie are doing the Midnite. They were both great at the Elder's Ball last month. wally
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Wally,
Laney will be in Bristol on Sunday. She is driving up EARLY Sunday morning.

Bill
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

"YOU GO GIRL" Congratulations Laney.
Bill
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Laney...another dream come true? It couldn't happen to a nicer member of the family! I hope you and Russ can make it back down to Georgia for the next Georgia Peach Jam on November 28th. I've had to keep my "Matters of the Heart" CD under lock and key since some of the Opry House regulars heard it. Don't know how much longer I can hold them off!
Love You Both,
Roger
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

I'm going to miss Laney. Can't be there Sunday. You folks that can are in for a treat. Russ, you will do ! Image
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

Well a couple of my good friends have posted here...so I dont see why I should not.
I met Laney and Russ in St Louis this year.
Laney gave me her latest CD..even autographed it to me.....she would have to be one of the nicest,sincerest people that I have ever met........the fact that she is extremely good looking has nothing to do with it !!!!!!!!!!!
We were also fortunate enough to be taken to a party in Russ and Laneys house by Smiley just outside of Nashville inhonour of Hal Rugg coming through cancer OK..........I dont think I have ever been made to feel more welcome anywhere......all the top steel players were there and I had a great time....Laney gave me big Hug..as she did in St Louis.........and made me feel like we had been friends for years!!!!!!
So Laney Hon !!!!
If you see this..........go on the Jambourie.......Knock ém dead..and imagine that I will be two rows back..clapping for you and I'll get you a coke and see you next door infront of ET's bus while you sign autographs !!!!!!
Tony
Linda Plowman Fikes

Post by Linda Plowman Fikes »

I'm new to the forum and am thrilled to find you! Sounds like you have quite a "family" here. I had to join just so I could respond to Bill's post about Laney Hicks being on the Midnight Jamboree with Connie Smith last night. What a blessing to read this here so I could tune in! Laney sang her heart out and she and Connie sounded awesome together! It was great! Hope you all got to hear it and also that Laney and Connie will do some more of this! I grew up with Laney in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. We both sang on a weekly television show for a few years, beginning when we were 10 years old. Laney always sang Connie Smith songs and certainly did Connie proud! It touches me deeply when I think back to our childhood, knowing how very special it would be for Laney to share this experience with her hero, Connie Smith. And what a true blessing for Connie as well! Also wanted to let you all know that the Laney you know has always been special from the gitgo! I feel compelled to let you in on a little "Laney trivia"... Growing up, Laney was always voted everything in school! Everybody always loved Laney with that beautiful smile and her gorgeous dimples. Laney was Best All Around, Most Popular, Most Talented, Head Cheerleader, Homecoming Queen, Top Ten Senior, etc., etc. Doesn't surprise you, does it?!! I think she won unanimously in every "favorites" category except two during one school year! They let her take her pick! All the other winners were actually "alternates". Laney had aced almost every category! Anyway, I'm just so very proud of Laney and wanted to say so! She is a blessing to us all and is so deserving. She is genuinely beautiful from the inside out. I'm so thankful she's doing the steel conventions with hubby Russ, and singing those great country songs. I've enjoyed reading the posts about the dynamic duo they are! They would have to be! Blessings to all you steelers and a special shout out and hug to John & Jean Hughey if you read this! Love to all, Linda Plowman Fikes ^j^
Randy Mason

Post by Randy Mason »

I heard Laney sing "The Last Letter" last night on my way home from the Ryman and it was the best singing that I've heard anywhere.
Pat Jenkins

Post by Pat Jenkins »

Had the opportunity to be at the jamboree on Saturday night, and it was really incredible, Connie and Laney, or is it Laney and Connie? Either way, some incredible singing....and Jack was great, as always on the steel.

Pat

Waltzing Through A Rock And Roll Life!!!
Russ Hicks

Post by Russ Hicks »

Cloud 9 is soft and warm, and, yes, I'm still smack dab in the middle of it!
I know you steelers understand what it means to be acknowledged by someone who has had ENORMOUS impact on your entire life.From the first note I ever heard her sing, I've been compulsively drawn to Connie Smith's
music, to the point of obsession, I guess,because I loved it so much. It sounded perfect to me, and it was never enough to simply listen and enjoy it, something far deep inside needed desperately to EXPERIENCE the spiritual pleasure of making real music. I know I'm only preaching to the choir because everyone participating in this forum feels the same way and has such a hero.(I love hearing Russ recall the first time he heard Buddy play and how it initiated the calling of his life's ambition to experience music like that. Heck, I remember the first time I heard Buddy play,(steel guitar lover that you all know I am) and I dreamed of one day getting to record with him. Roger, I know you were referring to that "dream" in your post, cause you know what it meant to me to record "A Love Like This/Nameless Shuffle" with Buddy.)
I soaked up every moment of spending time with Connie. She is gracious, gorgeous, still vocally perfect, and she radiates the presence of Jesus in her life.She's the most "real" person I've ever been around, inspite of all that talent; just listening to her for a short time reveals that she loves her gift of singing, but WHO she enjoys most being is somebody's wife and mama. That's someone who has it all. I love her.
I can't close this thought without commending Connie's band, "The Boys In Back".Jack Smith, Rod Hamm, Rick Wright, and Rick McClure. No rehearsal and I was the only one familiar with the song Connie and I did together, "I'm Ashamed of You" (because they havent studied her as long as I have). Russ made charts for me, and those boys played that song and "The Last Letter" like they'd been playing them for years. Like my darling Russ says, "there's just no substitute for talent".He was listening from Bristol and his first comment to me by phone that night was about the band and what a really great job they did "making us girl singers sound good"...I'll take it, anytime.
Thanks so much for being good friends and posting here for me (Linda Plowman Fikes...the members of this forum will love getting to know you and some of the awesome achievements you made in the music business as a child, and I owe you one for the things you said about me. These folks don't know yet how very special you ARE,but they will)

Russ and I are having a ball; thank God for MUSIC and FRIENDS WHO UNDERSTAND AND CARE.

Love,
Laney
Kenny Foy

Post by Kenny Foy »

BRAVO-BRAVO--------Laney, We couldn't be there but the bravos are appropriate. I know. We have heard you sing before. And it is a blessing. We love ya. ---Dora and Kenny Ray
Ron Elliott

Post by Ron Elliott »

ME TOO! Ron
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

Laney, we could not pick up the broadcast down here in our part of Texas Saturday night, but we know, with out a doubt, that you were super as always. Many more people were able to hear what a great talent you are. Those of us who are fortunate enough to know you and work with you already know this. But I'd be remiss if I didn't say what a wonderful and humble person you are as well as talented. Barbara and are so very glad to have you and Russ as our friends. Speaking of Russ, we know his buttons were just popping with pride Saturday night. What a great musical artist he is....he can do it all...one of MY HERO'S.
Your dear friend, Linda Plowman Fikes', great post only confirmed what Barbara and I have thought many times. Knowing you only makes her comments even more real for us.
Barbara and I are looking forward to seeing you and Russ in Hot Springs next weekend and we concur with you "thank GOD for MUSIC and FRIENDS WHO UNDERSTAND AND CARE".
Luv Ya,
Roy and Barbara

------------------
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy

Linda Plowman Fikes

Post by Linda Plowman Fikes »

Thanks, Laney. It's so good to read your post about Saturday night. Again, I'm so thankful you had this experience with Connie AND that Connie had the blessing of singing with you! Both of you outsang yourselves! It was great! Hope to hear more of this! You two are definitely kindred spirits. God surely used the same mold when He made you and Connie...not only in the vocal chord department, but your beauty inside and out. You're right, too...the Men In Back did a phenomenal job as well! It was fantastic! All of you were truly "in your element". I appreciate your sweet comments near the bottom of your post, too. Blessings to everyone on The Steel Guitar Forum! There is a true sense of family here and it is heartwarming to share it. I am thankful to be in touch with such special folks...Linda Plowman Fikes (and husband, Bobby, too!)
Mike Sigler

Post by Mike Sigler »

Laney
i caught your show with connie.. And i stayed up half the nite to record it!
It don't come on here until 1am.. But I sat up and recorded the entire thing....
You sure sang great.. I was so proud of you!.. Country Radio don't know what they are missing.... But you will always be in steady rotation in my 2000 ford windstar.. Image
Great Job! and give Russ a big hug for Me.
Mike Image