KSGA Show

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

john buffington

KSGA Show

Post by john buffington »

The Kansas boys have struck again! Talk about a great show, if you missed this one you missed a great show. Great line up of players and talk about hospitality, Ray and his staff make you feel just like family. I want to personally thank the Kansas Association for the award given to Don Compston - what an honor. I also want to thank Ray for the invitation to play on his show again this year. My singing hero John Terry brought the house down with his vocals and fiddle playing. He makes you play things you didn't know were in there! I'm still shivering from his awesome set last night - thanks hero - you done this old boy proud last evening. The backup band was totally first class especially with Larry Jackson on drums - awesome, and Bob Dell on bass - you all out did yourselves! Looking forward to playing this show again next year and thanks to the Kansas Association for the invite. Don't miss this show - AWESOME!! One of the best around.
Fred Justice played his new Rains Steel Guitar - very, very nice, and he's great player also, gives a whole new perspective to the E9th tuning as stated by great vocalist Rob Parker who by the way handled
the MC chores this year - did a great job!Congratulations to the Kansas Association for a fantastic show!
John Buffington
Vice President OSGA<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by john buffington on 03 October 2004 at 01:20 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by john buffington on 03 October 2004 at 01:22 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by john buffington on 03 October 2004 at 01:23 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by john buffington on 03 October 2004 at 01:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

I agree with John Buffington, it was a great show. Thanks must go to the hard work of Ray and his staff. The backup band was great, they made me feel comfortable, and did a good job of covering some of my mistakes. Fred Justice did some great playing on his new red Rains guitar. When Fred played, "Here's That Rainy Day", I was watching Bob Dell on bass. Bob did a great job on a very difficult tune with many difficult chord changes. Good to see the great pickers Mike McGee and Duane's Music in attendance. John Terry is also my singing and fiddle playing hero. John B, when you have the next Oklahoma Steel Show, why not have twin fiddles--John Terry and Bobby Flores. That would be something great!
Leland Ogle

Post by Leland Ogle »

Thanks for the complements. There was some very good picking going on. Thirty some players from seven states and people in attendance from all over. What a great time. If you played this year you are already confirmed for a spot next year. A big thank you to all who showed up.
Lee
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

The warmth and personal feel to this show was truly special. Saturday night was magic - thank you John B. and John T.! Great playing from start to finish (except for that one hillbilly substitute from SW MO), and a great backup band. If the KSGA can keep it like it was this weekend, their hard work will pay big dividends in the future. Ray and officers, you've got something really special!

I loved seeing so many old friends - Keith, Jerry and Venda, Bill and Betty Jobes, Fran Newman, Rob, Larry J., and I know I will leave someone out. Keith, so good to hear you play. It's been too long and I enjoyed your set thoroughly.

And I made so many new friends! Lee, you said it best - it's a brotherhood (and sisterhood too!) like no other instrument.

Thanks for making this hillbilly feel so welcome!

mm
Duane Dunard

Post by Duane Dunard »

I had a great time at the show. The back up band and sound system gave excellent support to the players. Everybody that played sounded super to my ears. Many thanks to Ray and the Staff for their kindness. Also, John Buffington's and Fred Justus's set were awsome! I'm sure glad I attended this year and I'll be there next year!
Wayne Smith

Post by Wayne Smith »

Wow, What can I say? This was a fantastic show. Ray, Elizabeth and all the staff were more than hospitable. The players did a marvelous job. I'm not going to start naming them, but everyone was absolutely great. What can I say about the band? Those guys had it together all weekend. We had a great time and looking forward to next year.
God Bless the KSGA. Thanks for letting me have a small part in the show.
Wayne and Perceline<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Smith on 04 October 2004 at 05:25 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

Thanks to the KSGA for letting Jerry and Austin play. They had a great time. The band and the singing was all good. Sorry we couldn't get there till Sunday. Enjoyed the Sunday morning service with Jerry and Venda. They always do a great job. Jerry doesn't play a lot of steel in the service, but I got one of their CD's and he has some very good picking on it. Thanks to Elizabeth and the crew in the kitchen. I know you were VERY tired by the end of the show. I had to miss last year( because of fishing), but enjoyed it this year and look forward to next year. Donna
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

This is going to be a long post, so get you a cup of coffee and read on!
First we want to say that the highlight of the weekend was the honor and pleasure of having Mrs. Fran Newman to be our special guest. Fran was brought to our show by Bill & Betty Jobes and she was there to accept the award of the KSGA Hall of Fame's newest inductee, Jeff Newman. Jeff was born in Arkansas City, Kansas in 1942. Fran is a first class lady and we were very honored for her being there. Thank you Fran.
Thank you John Buffington for accepting the Pioneer Award that we honored to the late OSGA's president, Don Compston. No one truly deserved it more than him and it was a very emotional day for everyone as Jeff & Don both will be missed.
We missed Ken Rollans-take care of that back and get well, we missed Ken Williams but school duties called him-hopefully next year Ken, We missed Marty Neer but job duties called him also-Next year Marty, we missed DeWayne Maye and that was probably my fault as I didn't confirm that he was on the schedule-Sorry DeWayne and hope that you can play next year. W.C.Edgar had to cancel as he was called to play with Dale Watson-Next year W.C., We missed Allen Cain-have Kaye to take care of herself & see you next year. We missed Virgil Pittman-We're sorry for the loss of your friend and our prayers are with you.
Thanks to all the steel players Curt Shoemaker, Scott Henderson, Jerry Newberry, Austin Stewart, Vance Monday, Ronnie Neighbors, Terry Day, Terry Bethel, Doyle Huff, Larry Garrett, Fred Justice, Louie Hallford, Rev. Wayne Smith, Jerry & Venda Hanley, Duane Dunard, John Buffington, Tim McCutchen, Keith Hilton, Bob Cooper, Rick Crow, Mike McGee, Clovis Richards, Jerry Roller, Rob Parker, Paul Troop, Glen Vaughn, David Cobb, Doug Hudson & Lee Ogle.
Thanks to the back-up players. John Terry, DeWayne Bowman,Larry Jackson, Bob Dell, Dennis Turner, Jerry Hoffman & Kyle Ogle. They'll all be back next year.
Thanks to all the singers, DeWayne Bowman, John Terry,Carlene Roller, Pat Cox, Donley Harrington, Rob Parker, Larry Garrett, Jerry & Venda Haley,Fred that sang on Doyle Huff's set, Jackie Harmon, and to all the side men that came and played with each steel player. If I've missed someone I apologize.
Thanks to Shirley, Louise, Linda, Anita, Mary Lou & Merry for all their work in preparing food in the kitchen and to Betty Hudson for being our official greeter at the door. Thanks to Marvin Groff for his help in loading and unloading equipment and supplies. He was our right hand man.
There was just to much good music to tell about everyone so we'll just say from the bottom of our hearts, Thank you to everyone who was there supporting us.
Ray & Elizabeth Qualls and all the members of the KSGA
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by ray qualls on 04 October 2004 at 11:16 AM.]</p></FONT>
Curt Shoemaker

Post by Curt Shoemaker »

RAY, Let me be the first to second everything you talk about above.Thanks to you, and the staff for a good weekend.I've never been treated better!! All my fellow players were great,along with the back--up band. Looking forward to next year!! GREAT JOB. Curt
Vance Monday

Post by Vance Monday »

Just wanted to thank Ray and Elizabeth for inviting me to play. I really enjoyed the show although Lila and I didn't get there until Sunday afternoon. What a great band! With twin fiddles even..It was a great time and I hope I can come back next year. Ray and Elizabeth, what a great convention. Thanks again..Vance and Lila
Bob Dell

Post by Bob Dell »

Trish & I would like to thank Ray, Elizabeth, Lee, Doug and all of the other officers and members of the KSGA for inviting us to the KSGA Show this year.
It was an honor for me to serve as the Staff Bass Player this year and work with John Terry and Dewayne Bowman again. It's "ALWAYS" a great treat to work with those 2 guys......just like "Old Times"..... even better!
Thanks to the ladies in the kitchen that worked so very hard for all of us.
I truly enjoyed working behind "EACH AND EVERY" steel player at the show.
Can't remember when I've had so much positive input......from "EVERYONE"!
Seemed like we started out "GOOD...to...GREAT" Sat. morning, and it just kept building all day long.
Guess I "THOUGHT" I was wide awake Sat. night, until Buff and John Terry tore into the last set. I soon found out......that "I JUST THOUGHT" I was awake.
After that, I went to the room and wore out 3 sets of batteries in the remote, flipping through channels for about 4 hours, trying to unwind.........kept hearing all those tunes in my head that we did that last set.......someone kept pushin' the automatic re-wind button............"BUT I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY"!
Lee.......if Kyle gets "ANY" better... I'm gonna have to come up there and break a couple of his fingers.....Just Kiddin' Kyle
........Great Job Buddy.....keep on a pickin'!
later,
Bob Dell
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Bob, you're cracking me up! Haha Next year we'll be stocked up on lots of batteries. Fine job of playing my friend.
Ray & Elizabeth
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Ray, thanks for letting Carlene and me be a part of the show. I have never played a steel show with a band I enjoyed playing with anymore than the guys you had on stage. The stage volume was perfect for my taste and they were a real pleasure to play with. Thanks to the ladies also for the good food they prepared. It was an all around great time. I am looking forward to next time already.
Jerry
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

KSGA,
The show was great , and I wish to thank Ray and Elizabeth, and their staff, and all the club members for their hard work and dedication to make it a success... as the old saying goes, KUDOS to "all hands and the cooks" for making it a great weekend...
Some awsome picking by the artists who played, and a great stage band...one of the best...I hope you use the same group next year, if they are available...
Thank you KSGA for allowing me to be a part of your show...

RP...'come on in'
Tim McCutchen

Post by Tim McCutchen »

Let me also send my thank you out to all that has been mentioned above. I had a great time. Great pickers, great band, great fellowship,great food. This is one of the best run shows around. Thanks for the invitation to play and I'm already looking forward to next year.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

Bob -
You and Larry Jackson provided a rhythm section second to none! With John Terry's awesome vocals and fiddle playing you guy's are definitely "The A Team". Thanks for making my show easy.
John Buffington
Douglas Hudson

Post by Douglas Hudson »

I spent yesterday doing the Bob Dell thing rewinding the whole weekend in my head. I wont forget this one for a long time. We are very fortunate to have such level of talents that are willing to work so hard to do these conventions. Without the input of everyone that attends the convention, it just wouldnt work. My wife and I are truly blessed to have met each and every one and can call all, our friends. I just want to work harder for the next year and make it even better. I apologize for the air conditioning problem,, that was my fault I had not become better acquainted with the building. Next year will not be hot inside. I also want to say welcome to all our new members. We are blessed to have each and every one of you to join. I hope the experience will be what it has been for us.
Douglas Hudson
Rosalee Moody

Post by Rosalee Moody »

To Ray Qualls, a very big "THANK YOU" for the outstanding show. The hospitality was just the greatest and you, personally, made us feel so very welcome. I don't think we have EVER had a more enjoyable weekend. All the music and backup band was just wonderful and we made many new friends. Thanks to the great cooks also. The entire weekend will be a warm, wonderful memory for a very long time to come. God willing, we'll come again next year. Image
Leland Ogle

Post by Leland Ogle »

Bob, being a bass player myself, I have great admiration for you and your playing this past weekend. Although the staff band was truly an all star band, it was all held together by you and Larry. As Jeff Newman told me a long time ago a bass player can make or break a band, you made it man. Please don't break Kyle's fingers cause I plan to play in his band one of these days.
Kyle says to tell you thanks for the kind words and he hopes to see you next time.
Lee
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

Wanted to extend my thanks to the folks at the KSGA for a great day. I am starting to realize that these here steel shows are more about getting together with friends old and new and less about playing. In a very short time Teresa and I encountered so many great memories. I met a man who had known me since i was knee high to a volume pedal and that was good. I talked to an old friend about his last memories of Don Copmpston and that was good...sad but good at the same time. I guess that's why I like these shows so much. We always take home a lot of great memories and new friendships. I enjoyed the other players and thought my playing sucked but that's my own fault no one elses's. (THE BACK UP BAND WAS GREAT).
But I still had a blast playing and meeting folks and thank God for the opprotunity to enjoy both. Thanks again to Ray,Elizabeth, Doug, Betty,Lee, and everyone else at KSGA for the great day.See down the road and next year.
And Clovis you're a prince Brother!!!!!!

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Roger Osbourn

Post by Roger Osbourn »

Hi there Ray,Lee and Doug;I sure regret missing the KSGA convention this year.Hopefully I'll have better luck next year.I sure missed seeing all my friends.Sounds like the whole family was there.Larry,Pam,Delores and I will be going up to see Scotty and Teresa in a few weeks.It sure would have been a hoot to see "Old Freddie Justice",Wayne,Louie,Keith and all the rest of our pals.I hadn't heard that Fran Newman was going to be there.Man I would have walked up there to meet that lady.I know too well that conventions are a tremendous load of details.Thanks for carrying that load while promoting the steel guitar and thanks for your friendship.

------------------
Roger Osbourn (President,Siloam Springs SGC)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

479-524-4240

Leland Ogle

Post by Leland Ogle »

Roger, with the great time we had at our show I realized how much I am missing by not coming to any of your get-togethers. If you have a place for me, I want to play at your Nov. get-together.
Lee
Bob Dell

Post by Bob Dell »

John Buffington,
Thanks for the kind words, my friend and brother, but I think it was you that made it easy for John Terry, Larry Jackson and myself, to have an easy set and fall into the groove where we needed to be, instead of the other way around, and I feel sure they would agree.
Still, I will always remember & cherish your kind, heart felt words.
BTW, I appreciate you taking charge of the OSGA duties since Don is not here to do them. If ever I can do "ANYTHING" to help you and / or the OSGA Club, I'm only a phone call or e-mail away.
Fantastic pickin' you did that set....as you always do.

Lee......I'll try and remember to take it easy on Kyle and break 'em gently.....Ha! He's a very talented, courteous, fine young man, plus the fact that he "Plays Fine"! We need more like him coming up through the ranks. You obviously have done a fine job raising him. I talked to my buddy Cotton last night and again today, and he "TOO" has a very high respect for both you and Kyle. That in itself speaks very highly of both of you.

In closing, I have one last remark. At a steel guitar show about 4 years ago........I told my good friend Junior Knight that I really appreciated the "Lack of a Competitive Spirit" throughout the show.
His statement in return was, "Well I'll tell you what Bob, if it ever gets to the point that it becomes a Competitive Sport......I'm out of here........... cause I got no time for that type of mind set. I come to the shows to relax, have a good time, and see old friends, visit, etc., so if that ever changes, I'm all done."
I've found in the past when I played steel on some of the shows, that regardless of "How I Played"........the Super Pickers are "ALWAYS" the first to have positive coments to help boost my spirits. "NEVER" has one of them said "ANYTHING" negative. Furthermore, the higher up the ladder you go as far as Super Pickers, the more they try and help you, boost your morale, etc.
I was told repeatedly throughout the KSGA show, that the only comments made......were of a positive nature.........which I think is what it "NEEDS TO BE"!
Thanks again for the invitation to be a small part of your show.
Bob Dell
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by bd steelinforfun on 05 October 2004 at 05:27 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by bd steelinforfun on 05 October 2004 at 05:33 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Osbourn

Post by Roger Osbourn »

Lee;I'll let you know what our schedule looks like a little closer to November 13th.Keep in touch.Roger

------------------
Roger Osbourn (President,Siloam Springs SGC)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

479-524-4240

Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

Just got home today as I planned my work week in Oklahoma to coincide with the weekend of the Baxter show. Even though I am late I dont want to miss a chance to join in on this post.

I am not into most award programs and am likely as not to take a lunch about that time. However the awards given to Fran Newman
and to Don Compston were two of the most emotional presentations I have witnessed at steel shows. Jeff Newman changed my musical life when I began to attend his seminars during the 70's.I was almost 40 years old at the time. Fran was always there with him except this year in Dallas when illness prevented her attendance.I still find his death hard to accept.

Don Compston,I met during the past ten years. Meeting him and being musically associated with him has been one of the highlights of life that happened to me through the medium of steel guitar and steel guitar shows. If I never play another show, I do not feel that I would ever stop going to shows because of all the friends that I have made there. The reunions are more important to me now than the music.

I don't mind saying I love those two guys having known them has made a lasting impact on my life. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by louie hallford on 07 October 2004 at 02:53 PM.]</p></FONT>