Peavey "Jetsons" Lap Steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

David Pinkston

Peavey "Jetsons" Lap Steel

Post by David Pinkston »

Just saw the new Peavey lap steel over the weekend. That is one ugly guitar.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

I should harness my opinion.....on your opinion.
Last edited by Bill Hatcher on 22 Sep 2009 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

There have been no shortage of threads here on the Forum about the guitar, and yes, a fair number of folks don't care for its appearance.

But for whatever reason, I like it. And I am pretty conventional as to my taste in guitars.

For example, when it comes to electric guitars, I would never own a Gibson Explorer or a Flying V.

To me, they're just butt ugly. The key words in the previous sentence are "to me." Because I know there are thousands of guitar players that think they're the coolest thing since sliced bread.

But I like the look of the Peavey Power Slide.

Go figure.
Mark
James Fleming

Youth Appeal

Post by James Fleming »

If you are going to try and get some young players interested in Steel Guitar you had better be making something they like.
Most production lap Steels have a rather uninteresting look. Akin to a 2 x 6 with strings.
The young guns out there need something they can wrap their heads and hands around.
Peavey nailed it. I hope they sell a b##tload of em.
David Pinkston

Peavey

Post by David Pinkston »

Time will tell. Hope they sell a bunch. Still one ugly guitar (to me)...
David Pinkston

Slide

Post by David Pinkston »

Safe to say it's the best 199.00 steel on the market..
Todd Weger

I'm in the 'don't care for the looks' camp, however...

Post by Todd Weger »

I DO like that they put the effort into making a decent, affordable and flexible (i.e., play standing, sitting, or "Spanish" style) guitar for the masses. We need to get more young'uns interested in steel.

I just wish they'd make one in solid black or white, with a solid color fretboard. I don't dig the Nike-ish swish stuff, but that's just me.

If I did order one, probably the first thing I'd do is take all the hardware off, and repaint it.

:)

TJW
Todd James Weger --
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

I'm not really fond of the "Metal" look. I don't think it's a necessary look to pull in the youngun's either, but I do see the ergonomic reasons.

I fiddled around a tiny bit with one a few months ago and was seriously suprised by the very light weight. The sustain seemed questionable to me, but I frankly didn't spend enough time with it to really put it through it's paces. Personally, I have no interest in playing standing up with a strap, so it's just not my cup 'o tea.
Primitive Utility Steel
Dom Franco

Peavey Power Slide

Post by Dom Franco »

The crescent shape on the "belly" side was dictated by the desire to make it a "stand up" instrument. I suppose the front side and headstock could have been shaped more conventionally? I don't mind the space age style...

The light weight makes it good for this also. But The sustain is lacking...

See these other threads: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=162678
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

Dom Franco :wink:
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

My bandmates say that it's something I stole from the group "KISS". If the looks don't get their attention try the volume knob!