BIAB Summary...Please tolerate!

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Tony Palmer

BIAB Summary...Please tolerate!

Post by Tony Palmer »

I know all the little bits of info on BIAB are in this section, but it would take a while to go through everything, so, at the risk of repeating duplicate information, can someone summarize the features, or rather the quality and ease of use, of the newest version?
For the record, I bought a version from Jim Baron almost ten years ago and I think it went away with the 386 computer it was loaded on!
It came with his CD of 4100 songs and was well worth the money.
But, the overall midi sounds were kind of cheesy. To be fair, I never upgraded anything and was in fact, running it on a clone 386 puter with god knows what for a sound card.
So, conclusion: What can I expect with the newest version, do I need a special sound card and should I get it from Jim again (if he still sells it)?
My goal is some realistic backing for recording.
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
Jim Baron

Post by Jim Baron »

Hi Tony, I'm still around..))) Sent you an e-mail. Jim
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Tony, I expect that you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality level, and the relative ease of use.

While the instrument sound quality is still definately MIDI, as opposed to real musicians, there are real instrument tracks available for BIAB, especially drums, which helps a bunch.

I've done some recording using BIAB tracks as backup, and honestly, the average listener never knows the difference. Musicians on the other hand will notice it.

Hope that this is helpful!
David
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Thanks, David. You mean there are real instrument sounds available for BIAB? If so, why doesn't everyone use them?
Anyway, I'm waiting for Jim to give me a call.
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

Tony,You need to go to PG music site amd listen to the demos of real insturments..They are pretty darn good..
http://pgmusic.com/
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Thanks for the update, guys. Big Jim filled me in and helped me out once again. I should be on my way to backup track heaven in a few days with a great deal.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have a Sound Blaster Audidy 2 sound card in my computer at home. It generates good sound but recently I invested in an EMU 1616m digital Audio System. The sound card mounts in the computer and then there is a cable that runs to an external MicroDock with lots of inputs and outputs.
I'd kind of like to get going on some recording.
Your BIAB will only sound as good as the sound card it's connected to.