Randy Cornor Appreciation Day

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Robby Springfield

Randy Cornor Appreciation Day

Post by Robby Springfield »

There is going to be an appreciation day for Randy Cornor starting around 2:00 pm on Oct. 3rd, 2004 at the Texas Saloon in Pasadena, TX. Randy Cornor, the guitarist on many Houston, TX records including Fiddling Frenchy Burke, and an incredible vocalist himself has done so much to help others in thier time of need, so some of the Houston folks decided to say thanks by throwing this bash. Some of the guest artist will include Frenchy Burke, Gene Watson, Roy Head, Jimmie Lou Springfield and many more, and of course, Randy himself. Lots of great music all day. I can't wait to climb on the stage with some of my old friends. Come join us...I'll bet you'll see a few steel players through out the day. By the way...Shhhhhhhh...Randy is not suppose to know!

Robby Springfield
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

Hey Robby. That sounds like a fun day. I sure wish I could make it. It would be great to visit with old friends from my Pasadena days. I know you'll have a great time. Hope to see you in Dallas this year. Tell Jimmie Lou hello for me.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Top of the morning to ya Robby! Image

Ditto what Bob T. said. Bring back the Winchester!!!

Great night a couple years ago. I was booked to back up Frenchy at the Cotton Club in Granger TX, and the club owner told me, "surprise guest tonight." Well, it was Randy! Totally floored Frenchy Image!

Y'all know how fast Frenchy plays the fiddle? Well, Randy played harmony to every freakin' note FFB sawed out of that thing, and man was it awesome! I missed some solos, not only because of the 280bpm Imagetempos, but just because I had to sit like a kid with my jaw hanging open listening to their chops.

Randy also sang "Sometimes I Talk In My Sleep" and it was beautiful. He's had a real problem with his eyesight in the last few years and he's functionally blind for the most part. He could have been a MAJOR star back in the 80's, but some unfortunate mishaps sidelined him and his career. Our loss. Image

Bob T.... Hey, you made that Zum sound sweet last week. Johnny Dickenson came out on Saturday when I was a Blaine's with Bush, but you probably knew that already. Image

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 21 September 2004 at 07:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

Thanks Herb. I was glad we got to visit a little bit. Wish I could have made it to Blaine's, but I was playing that night. Maybe next time.
Robby Springfield

Hey Bob,

It's been a while since either one of us has seen the south side of Houston. It's also been about 20 years since I last played with Frenchy...I hope I can still hang!

Cya in Dallas,
Robby
Robby Springfield

Herb,

Are R U? You could just come on to Pasadena and bail me out and I could sit there with my jaw on the floor and watch you and the guys pick.

L8R,
Robby
Robby Springfield

Herb,

I ment to ask you how you are doing...I never claimed to be good at typing. I'm still a 2 finger pecker!

R.S.
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

Robby, you'll do just fine. Remember, Frenchy is getting older too. Image
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

I'll be there with a bus full of pickers.
Frenchie always speaks highly of you Robby. one of Frenchies current steel players Don Sowersby is gonna be there too I cant wait<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Justin Griffith on 23 September 2004 at 07:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

Hey Robby! Man, I wish I could make it too! Randy came in to the studio last year to play a guest spot on Jason Allen's CD and just blew doors big time. It was such a treat to hang with him. Hope you are doing well. I'd love to come see y'all....Hey, check out the pix on my web site. Got a cool one of you up there...(www.cherryridgestudio.com)
Don Sowersby

Post by Don Sowersby »

Robby,

I'll be there if I get back from Oklahoma early enough. Sounds like I will get to see people I haven't seen since leaving Houston 20 years ago.

I am really looking forward to seeing you play with Fenchie and Randy again. What a reunion that will be.

Don Sowersby
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Don Sowersby on 22 September 2004 at 07:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
Robby Springfield

Hi Tommy,

Good to hear from you...it's been awhile! I have been wondering where you went. Someone told me that you moved your place. How's the studio biz? Stay in touch. I'll check your web site to catch up.

Cya L8R,
Robby
Robby Springfield

Hey Don,

Man it's been way too long for me also. I haven't played with Frenchy in 20 years so it will be a welcomed reunion. You gotta come man...and bring your guitar and play. You have been playing with Frenchy so I need you to keep me in line!!

Hope to see ya,
Robby

Robby Springfield

Hey Justin,

Bring it on with the bus...the more the better. This might be the high point of the year for me...to get to see all of you guys and play with some old friends!

L8R,
Robby
RON PRESTON

Post by RON PRESTON »

Hi, Robbie..How ya doing?
You Cracked me up when ya said you were a TWO FINGER PECKER.......I STILL LOSING IT!
I WILL say THIS...Don't know too much about you being the 2 Finger Man, But, You ARE THE TWO FINGER PICKER.......Guys, He's a treat to hear. God Bless you, Robbie. Image
Robby Springfield

Hi Ron,

Whatz up? It's a good thing the word "inch" wasn't in there. Couldn't resist that! Anyway, I hope to see you soon. Send me your ph #.

Cya,
Robby