Jimmy Day in 1994

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rob Rohde-Szudy

Jimmy Day in 1994

Post by Rob Rohde-Szudy »

Hey folks, I'm the new guy on the forum. I play about everything BUT PSG, so I guess it's time, eh?

OK, my first question for the masters:

In this incredible recording of Jimmy Day at the PSG conference in 1994...

http://julianwinston.com/music/mp3/jimmy_e9.mp3

...does anyone know what guitar he si playing? I know I'll never match what he can do with his hands, but similar hardware might be a start.

Thanks in advance,

Rob in WI
Mike Brinkmeyer

Post by Mike Brinkmeyer »

On this YouTube video of Jimmy at the 1994 convention, he's playing a Mullen . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDA875zxlgU
Dave Beaty

Jimmy's Guitar

Post by Dave Beaty »

Rob, unless I am mistaken, Jimmy is playing his steel guitar "Blue Darlin', which was custom made for him by Del Mullen - it was an incredible instument! I believe Del made only three of those particular guitars. One is Del's own personal guitar, Jimmy's Dlue Darlin' and one more. Del could certainly tell you what current guitar might approach its quality and craftsmanship.
Hope that helps.
Dave
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Whoa, I'd be very interested to know what characteristics were incorporated in the three guitars you refer to that you say were uniquely made.

I have a '94 Mullen in blue lacquer with "mother-of-pearl" (irreverently "mother-of-toilet-seat") inlay that is at least cosmetically very similar to Jimmy Day's Mullen "Blue Darlin'". It's a wonderful guitar, mechanically and tonewise. I'd be delighted if I learned that at least part of the reason my playing on it isn't as expressive as Jimmy's is because of differences between the guitars!

I won't hold my breath, though....
Rob Rohde-Szudy

Post by Rob Rohde-Szudy »

Very interesting! Like Brint, I'm not holding my breath, but it's a starting point.

Thanks,
--Rob
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Jimmy's Blue Darlin' Mullen was what inspired me to order a SD-10 sister to it at that time, same color, trim and polish package. As to whether it has the same special craftsmanship as Jimmy's, I don't know, but I have enjoyed it all these years. :)
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Jimmy had two blue darlin' Mullen guitars. At the time of his passing, one was in the possession of David Zettner, and the other I carried behind his casket from the visitation room to the chapel, and thence on Lynn Owsley's bus to the gravesite. :cry:
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?