Lost our bass man - Ben Shackelton

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Larry Jamieson

Lost our bass man - Ben Shackelton

Post by Larry Jamieson »

I just had a call from Colleen, his wife, that Ben Shackelton passed away suddenly today. He had been our Country Express Bass player for the last few years. Ben also had his own band, "Tulsa," but they hadn't worked much in recent years.
Ben had been having trouble with brain tumors for the last few years, and had had 5 operations on this brain. He always bounced back and seemed to do well for awhile. In the last month or two he had slowed down and was not getting around as well, but was still playing, singing, and calling square dances.
Ben was 70 years old, and played an upright Ampeg Baby Bass which he bought new in the 60s. RIP Ben...
Larry J.
Last edited by Larry Jamieson on 7 Aug 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Larry, so sorry to hear about your band buddy Ben. God Bless him and his family and I know that he will leave a void. Its hard losing good friends. Your friend, Ray
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Larry:
I'm sad to hear of Ben's passing. I met him once about 7 yrs. ago and he was a very nice man. May The Lord now keep him and bless him. My deepest sympathies go out for Ben, his family and friends.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
David Young

Ben Shackelton

Post by David Young »

Larry,

I am also sorry to hear of your friend's passing. I think my friend, Ray, spoke well:
ray qualls wrote:Larry, so sorry to hear about your band buddy Ben. God Bless him and his family and I know that he will leave a void. Its hard losing good friends. Your friend, Ray
My the Lord minister to Ben's family & friends at this time and in the days to come. They will be in our prayers.

Bro. David
Hello to all my steel guitar playing friends. You are in my prayers as you travel to all the shows. I'll see you when I can. Rev. David L. Young / 2007 Martin D-41 Special, 1999 Tacoma DM-9, 2012 Bourgeois Cocobolo back and sides with an Adirondack Spruce top.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Thanks for your sympathy and support. We will miss Ben and his musical talent. Tiny, I hope we can get together and pick a little some day.
Larry J.
Larry Lorows

Post by Larry Lorows »

Larry, Sorry to hear of your friend's passing. Did he ever play at the Cortland music park with you? Larry Lorows
U12 Williams keyless 400
Vegas 400, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Larry, Ben was not with us the last time I saw you at Cortland, but he did play there with us a couple of months ago. We are scheduled back there again sometime this fall. Hope you are enjoying Florida and finding some opportunities to play down there.
Larry J.
Bob Vantine

Post by Bob Vantine »

Just ran across this thread tonight ....still heart sick about Bens passing . So sorry I didn't find out about it until last month while e-mailing Larry J :(

Ben was a great singer ! Loved country music .And I'll always remember him singing my name to the tune "MY FUNNY VALENTINE"....one of the only people that got away with messing with my name like that . :\

We worked the same job as "on the road auto parts sales people" for a company out of Binghamton ,N.Y. in the mid 90s, and became fast and good friends .I'm 20 years younger and he was a great older brother/uncle figure to me .I even sold him a red Peavey tele copy with my prized "Jack Greene" autograph on it so his son Danny had a descent electric to learn on .In turn Ben found a bus for my band .

To Larry Lorrows: Ben came to the Cortland Music Park and sang with us a couple of times when you and I had the "OPEN ROAD BAND".

To Colleen and family ,Larry J , and all of Bens friends.....Ben will be greatly missed .So very sorry for your loss.
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars