David Hartley for the ISGHOF

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy Shown

David Hartley for the ISGHOF

Post by Tommy Shown »

I am running a poll about having David Hartley in theISGHOF. I feel that a man of his great talent, in the promotion of the steel guitar in Europe is worthy os such nomination.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Tommy, I think that's a great idea. David IMO, is fantastic on the psg and has already done a lot for a lot of us with his tab and videos. I never get tired of listening to him. IMO he is up there at the top with a handfull of musicians on the psg.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

come on ya'll only one vote so far?
Dennis Saydak

Post by Dennis Saydak »

Here's my vote for a phenomenal musician, Mr. Hartley.

I'd walk a thousand miles to see him play in person, too bad I'm not a good swimmer though. :lol:
Dennis
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race, the rats get faster.
David Hartley

Hi

Post by David Hartley »

Tommy, thats very kind to think of doing this thread but now I am embarrassed to visit the forum.

I am glad you like what I do..

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Robert Dominick

Post by Robert Dominick »

Mr Hartley gets my vote too! I concur...he is a phenominal player!

Robert
Mike Archer

got my vote

Post by Mike Archer »

hes got my vote

hes done so much for steel players everywhere

great job David!!!

Mike :D
Victor Eaton

votes

Post by Victor Eaton »

MR HARTLEY HAS MY VOTE
Thats for sure im so glad im only just over an hour away from him had a lesson this past saturday where we had six rains steels all together on his lawn im hoping david will put some pictures on here for all to see .
regards to all out there
vic eaton uk.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

It would be nice to see David inducted.
I had never heard of Him until a couple of Years ago.
I would say that if Basil Henriques,the biggest selling steel player ever(worldwide) cannot make it,also the late Gordon Huntley who was the greatest ever steel player in Britain and never received the worldwide acclaim He was due,It makes Me wonder if the internet has a lot to answer for.
Billy
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Perhaps David could gives us all a run down on his career achievements so far. Since most of us only have seen his great playing on YouTube in the last 18 months or so it would be nice if he could expand on his musical career???

What artists he has toured and recorded with etc... enquiring minds would love to know.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

David, Could you possibly give us a rundown on your pickin' career as to when you started steel guitar and some of the milestones in your pickin' career. Jody.
David Hartley

Hi

Post by David Hartley »

This is copied from my website.

At the age of 13, Dave played bass guitar with New Silver Ace, a very successful country band in East Anglia during 70s. Dave then went on to play pedal steel guitar with the band from the age of 18. At 21, he decided to give it a try going professional with Country Shack, an Essex based band. During this time, he toured with Mo Bandy (USA), Roy Drusky USA), Dotsie (USA), and played annually on the main stage at the famous Wembley Country Music Festivals backing George Hamilton IV, Rex Allen Jnr., and many others, along side stars from the USA like Emmylou Harris, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Boxcar Willie and many more too. Having 2 years on the road as a pro, he then decided to go back to his trade as an electrician but to continue playing with local bands, fitting in recording sessions whenever possible. Its very possible that if a pedal steel guitar is heard on tracks played in supermarkets and stores, or other artistes from UK and Ireland, its David Hartley, as many recordings have been done in recent years.

The thing that helped me in the early years, from the age of 6 is that I had 6 years piano lessons. I gave it up when I got to grade 6, I found it hard reading the music, I always used to get my teacher to play something, and I would memorise it, she discovered this only after we got to grade 6 and the exams meant you had to play a piece of music handed to you without hearing it first.

I had many years playing in East Anglias' top country band. They were a 7 piece with my dad on the piano, me on bass at first (aged 13), we had a fiddle, steel, bass (me), drummer, singer, rhythm guitarist, and piano (dad). We worked every friday saturday and sunday without fail. We had bookings 3 years ahead in the diary. I ended up on steel by about 17 years of age. I also kind of directed the music and tried my best to get guys playing 'only when necessary' as it was all a bit cluttered at times. We all liked our beers and it got out of control sometimes but a weekly rehearsal would give me the chance to sort these things out.

I was bought up in a house where mum and dad always had country music records playing. We had a piano as entertainment too, we did have a telly, but I used to play the piano more.

These days are gone I think now. As we all know there is too much hi-tech entertainment for kids these days.

I played in other local bands too after leaving the Silver Aces. Bands like, Knoxville Country, Country Shack, Country Boys, and others too.

Music has always been a big part of my life. I took it really seriously in my younger days. I used to always be on the steel. I only had vinyl records to learn from. I used to get home from a gig and set up the steel. I have, in more than one occasion, fell asleep on the steel. That was dedication.

It is so much easier these days with all whats available on the internet for anyone wishing to learn the steel guitar, or any instrument.

I do enjoy my steel as much today as I did then although I aint fell asleep on it lately. I am still learning, and with the 2 guys who come over every week, thats Keith and John, I still learn bits and pieces from what they are wanting to learn.

I enjoy posting the odd video, as you know, I usually only post it, and dont log onto youtube till the next posting. I really appreciate your comments. They do get emailed to me. I get questions too from youtube but cannot always reply from there as I rarely log on. I do try and answer all email sent to mr.davidhartley@btinternet.com

I tried my first tuition DVD (the orange blossom special) a few months ago. This was the most requested. It has been sucessful, although I nearly gave the tuition up as it really did take weeks to produce. I am working on others now and after the summer is over (working for coca cols gets busy) there will be a few rolling out. I will probably have Farewell Party completed before I leave for St Louis. A new version, new track, all tabbed and DVD'd too. Others like, Together again, Mansion on the hill, The Blame, will soon follow. The price will be good too now that I have the duplicators to make the production easier.

I get many requests, I have noted them all down. Many of them will get done eventually.

I will no doubt meet a few new friends in St Louis. Fran and myself are really looking forward to coming this time as we are making it a holiday and travelling around the week after Scottys festival.

Now, its 11.50pm, I am switching off, having another beer, and retiring to bed.

I hope this wasn't too boring to read.

Regards to you all, Hello Tamara, (are we going uo the 'Arch') ?

David Hartley
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

David you are well liked on this side of the pond. I apologize if I had cuased you any embarassment.
Tommy :)
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Thanks David for the info. Sounds like you are still having fun in music. See you down the road. Jody.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

I thought to be considered for the HOF you must have been on ,at least one, tour with Ray Price ?
JUST KIDDING ! :D
You got my vote Dave.
Bill
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

It's a big swim me lad, count my vote,
David is THE MAN!! :D
A.K.A Chappy.
Bernie Gonyea

Dave Hartley's Tops On My List

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :roll: :lol: :)

Dave : You know by now you are number one on my list, any day of the week. Blame is still one of my favorites that you perform so nicely. I , too, would like to have you do a special on Hank's " Mansion On The Hill ". I was only 15 when Hank began his great career, owned every record he had up to the time of his death. That's when I decided to take up the steel, as Don Helms was my idol, at that time.. Good Luck, Dave on becoming a member of the International Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame. You certainly deserve to be a member..Bernie :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Geir Arne Boska

Post by Geir Arne Boska »

Hello David,

I want to thank you again for your visit at our steelmeeting in Norway.
Your wonderful playing, your tone, your technic's and your great personality blew us all away.
Our meetings has an unformal approach.... we put on some backing tracks and play a little part each. Some are newbies and some more experieced, but we all do our "piece" :)
The funny thing was, once you hit those first tones we all gently released our foot from the volumepedals and quietly put our bars and picks aside. You were playing at a level that few of us had ever seen or heard before. Just magnificent.
We were all lost for words (and shutting up us norwegians ain't easy) :lol:

We all hope that you will return to norway some day.
(BTW:your personal taxi driver Atle is ready and willing) :D

Your norwegian friends want's your picture on the wall David. Hall of fame for David!

Your friend
Geir
so many strings... too little time
-------------------------------
Zumsteel, Fender Steel King
Barry Gaskell

Post by Barry Gaskell »

pourquoi ?
Last edited by Barry Gaskell on 14 Aug 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Stroud

Vote

Post by Bill Stroud »

David I can get a truck load of votes, but for now you've got mine..
Bill
Marc Mercer

Post by Marc Mercer »

I'm still new to the steel guitar, but I trust my ears and I would say that Mr Hartley has about the cleanest tone and intonation I've yet heard. I've watched some of his videos as well, and his motions look effortless - I'd wager that kind of skill only comes through years of dedication and desire.

Yeah, I'd vote for him; I'd say he's an ambassador of the instrument.
Ray Riley

hall of fame

Post by Ray Riley »

Count my vote. John Stannard is great too. Ray
Darrel Muzney

Post by Darrel Muzney »

David gets my vote. when ever steel music is talked about (which is all the time for me) I mention his name and all people agree. If they have not heard of him I give them the u-tube talk.

Thanks for your music David,

Darrel Muzney
South Sioux City
NE
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

David, you can on a vote from Roxanne, my wife. she has seen your videos on Youtube and she likes em'.
The best one I heard you do is "Dreaming My Dreams".
It is the one you did a couple of weeks ago.You and John Russell played it so sweet.I couldn't do that because I play what I feel, and to tell you the truth, I have gotten so moved by a song, I have had tears in my eyes. Because when I play, I play with emotion. Like John Michael Montgery's song " I miss you a little". I got up one night while doing a gig and ran straight to the restroom, because it brought back some fond memories of my dad that past. This video of yours did the same for me. The two of you played that song with sooo much grace and style. That it was unbelieveable.
Tommy
Barry Gaskell

Post by Barry Gaskell »

Hi Guys
David is an excellent musician and a first rate steel guitarist and has helped a lot of people. We are proud he is from our English shores.

What exactly the criteria are for assessing a possible inductee into the SGHOF I suppose, are mixed and varied.
Is it that you have to be a great player ?
Do you have to have played over many years on many records and have a portfolio of hits, riffs, famous solos, appearances on TV, innovative playing, and have a recognisable style ? Do you have to have served the music/steel community and maybe given beyond the norm to encourage and promote the instrument ? Yes I think all of these.
The world wide web has, in my humble opinion, and I'm speaking in a general sense with no one particular in mind, the propensity to produce false gods. There is available, almost any riff or break you want, on the net, and any good player with a reasonasble head on his (or her) shoulders can be playing them. A good thing ? certainly. It inspires people to play. The problem is of course that you don't necessarily have to think, or study, or work at your instrument or the constructs of your playing. You are not an original, you are playing what someone else has invented and worked out. Pursuing a particular riff on you own account often leads you off on a tangeant and you discover many new things. Don't confuse copyists with those innovators and inspirational players, no matter how good a player they are.
The SGHOF is a tribute to those players.
There aren't many originals out there alas.
In my humble opinion people like Tommy White and Bobbe Seymour should be considered for such an honour. They have contributed so much to promote the steel guitar.
I suspect the future lies in players like Randel Currie, who can maybe push the bounderies a little further, though there isn't a great deal of latitude left. Susan Alcorn has pushed the bounderies in a slightly different direction, and though I don't understand it and it certainly does nothing for me, all power to her elbow.
This is of course just my humble opinion.
Barry