your favorite place you ever played,,and the least favorite.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Mueller

Not all that good or bad

Post by Bob Mueller »

Best: Old Museum Club If Flagstaff AZ 1963-1964 ( 22 month gig )
Worst: Owl Club (Strip Club) Winterheaven CA 1962
TELONICS PEDAL
NEW DELTA BLUES 5 and 5
Stupid D9th with half Day Setup
( DESERT ROSE FROM CHUCK )
LOVE IT !!!!!
NEW STEEL SEAT BY JOE
HOLDS ALL MY STUFF
Roland cube 80 xl (wow)
Ernest Cawby

The Best

Post by Ernest Cawby »

My best nite was when we moved the La. Hayride to The Big VA hospital to Texas and got to play with Haank Locklin and Zeke Clements on stage.
The worst I enjoyed all the dates we did.

ernie
Shane Glover

Post by Shane Glover »

I agree with Charles. Outdoor gigs suck! I can't remember all the times I've been rained on . Last one was a couple years ago opening for Earl Thomas Conley.

I did'nt want the gig but my drummer had never opened and was all excited . Sure enough, Rained right in the middle of our set . I still remember sloshing through mud and crowd trying to get out of there. I did not even stay to hear ETC .
Outdoor gigs SUCK !!
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Best gig: Sandestin Hilton. Destin, Florida 2004-2006. Me and my duo buddy Chaz had a house gig at the Hilton right on the beach for nearly 2 years. There were some weeks we made over a grand each not counting tips!

Worst gig: 4th of July Celebration Concert, Inverness, FL 2007. Rain flooded the stage, the grounds and some of my P.A. during the performance. We didn't even get paid.
Show Pro D10, Session 400
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Here is a best/worst (same place) that I almost forgot. Daytona beach on July 4th in '92. We were working with Johnny Rodriques in an apmitheater shell. We were doing a few songs before calling Johnny up and it started raining. As Johnny came out I had to move towards the center of the stage. The wind and rain blowing in off the ocean had the whole band on one side of the stage in about 15 minutes. Johnny did one more song and left. There were hundreds of people standing out in the rain as we packed up and went in to the hotel. By the time we got up to the room the rain had stopped and the fireworks had started. We had a great view from the top floor.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Bronco's Steakhouse, in Ravenna Ohio, was my favorite. Held about a thousand folks. We packed 'em in and turned 'em away at the door.
The worst? Topper's in Berea. Bandstand was in front of the men's room. Never cleaned. Stank! If you'd see it in daylight, you'd be revolted! They always kept it dark as a cave.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Ben, I played that bandshell in Daytona Beach. The
roof is so high and the stage so small, it doesn't offer any protection. We were opening for Charlie Daniels and the wind was blowing so hard the stage decorations kept coming down on us.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Robert Harper

Thats Why I come here

Post by Robert Harper »

Yous guys have great stories. I love history an yous guys are full of great stuff. Wish all ofyou coud collect your stories and pass them on , before they are lost. a lot of these however convinced me that I was right ot to want to be part of the worst of the night club scene. DYKCB and some of you have seen stuff they won't show on television
"Oh what a tangled web we weave when we first begin to deceive" Someone Famous
Keith Junot

Post by Keith Junot »

the best - Halletsville Texas KC Hall with my Dad , Rufus Thibadeaux and Frenchie Burke 1976

worst - when i am no longer able to play ..........
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

I have a toss-up, for the best. Sun Valley, in Doylestown, and the Rose lounge, in Copley, Ohio. The bad one was the Nut House, in Cleveland. That was a very active punch palace. I hear you John, when you said Toppers. One like it was the Forestview, in Hinckley. No bandstand, and we were right next to the womens room door. When someone stuffed too much paper into the commode, the water ran out on the floor, and under our feet.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
James Jacoby

Post by James Jacoby »

Ronnie Boettcher wrote:I have a toss-up, for the best. Sun Valley, in Doylestown, and the Rose lounge, in Copley, Ohio. The bad one was the Nut House, in Cleveland. That was a very active punch palace. I hear you John, when you said Toppers. One like it was the Forestview, in Hinckley. No bandstand, and we were right next to the womens room door. When someone stuffed too much paper into the commode, the water ran out on the floor, and under our feet.
Hi Ronnie. I don't remember what year, but I played in Sun Valley with a Band called "Long Run" Our drummer, Bobby Dillinger, Lived in Brunswick. Our psg player was Paul Allen, and the Bass player was Roger Coffman. I played lead Tele. That was waaay before I ever had a steel! Do you remember, Ted and Dee?Kinda lost track of Bobby, over the years. Paul, and Roger, passed away some years back. The Rose Lounge conjures up memories of Jack Starr, and Mary Jackson. What year/years, did you play those places? ---Jake Jacoby---
Corky Anderson

Post by Corky Anderson »

Best Gig(s)...The Trio Club in Mingus..and the Louisiana Hayride last july. The Bar K Ranchouse in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada...great people..good money! And every gig I get to do with Opry Stars :D

Worst...anything out side! I used to play a couple of hell holes here in Edmonton....Fights inside and out...crack heads..Ho's and every other kind of human garbage you can think of!

Worst yet...any place more than 25 miles north of here!

Carter D-10 Nashville 1000

Tele.........twin.......boss pedals