Amp Advice?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Leroy Deuster

Post by Leroy Deuster »

Something Different!
I love the sound of my session 500 and John Hugheys rack which I just bought. But out on the big stage or little stage with good PA. I go direct no amp.
I use Korg PX4D with a TRP (The Ribbon Pre). I take the unbalanced stereo out of Korg into my bastardized Goodrich pedal and split the tip and ring. Then I run that into the ribbon pre using 200omh / 50komh transformers(Lo-Z-Hi-Z) adapters, I come out the Pre balanced stereo with a big and fat sound right straight into the snake or board with standard mic cables. Pan the two channels; one to the right and one to the left. No heavy amps or big piles of equipment just big, fat, clean sound. I have nice organ and synth sounds as will as harmony settings, with lots of choices for distortion, chorus, Phaser, Flange, Tremolo, Rotary settings which you can change to what every you like in the parameters. There are lots of amp models to choose from which I only use with different effects. I use nothing but different combos of reverb and delays for my clean sound. No amp models just my steel with great sounding pick-ups. All you need to load in for the show is your custom pack-a-seat and your steel.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

get a cheap amp that works....nashville 400 used. best value. a guitar player friend just got one for $300 with a jbl in it. i played through it one night and loved it. otherwise i use an ltd400 or nv400 w/bw.
to me it's logical to use a powerful small amp designed for steel. not a nv112...too wimpy.
John McGuire

Post by John McGuire »

I have a session 500, a Vegas 400 and a nashville 112. I rank'em in that order.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

John, I had a Session 500 years ago. Mike Calaway talked me out of it. Traded me a Vegas. I have been a Vegas fan ever sense. The 500 does sound good. Heavy but I didn't mind 25 years ago !! :D
Bill
John McGuire

Post by John McGuire »

Bill it is heavy no doubt. But with casters on it the most I have to carry it may be 3 or 4 steps up to the stage. gotta carry my push/pull so what the heck, good excersise I guess :D :D
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

The only amp you will ever need , good for Concerts , Stadiums, Nursing Homes, Church, Bedroom, Parlor performances, Steel Guitar Shows etc..