Leon McAuliffe instruments, Craigslist?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bruce Tull

Leon McAuliffe instruments, Craigslist?

Post by Bruce Tull »

Hey guys,

Just curious. On OKC Craigslist, an ad popped up for a couple of four-neck steels, a 1950 Fender Broadcaster, '57 P-bass, Guild X-175, etc, and a plaque for the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. I contacted the seller, who told me the instruments were located in Arizona.

Unsettling is that his name is spelled "mcculliffe", etc. Other oddities are that the ad doesn't have prime search engine flags like "Fender" -- it would be a lot easier to sell a Fender Broadcaster than a Broadcaster, etc.

Does anyone here know any thing about this sale, why or whom? Maybe it's legit, and a family member, but some things about the advert seem odd.

Thanks, bt
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I hope Scotty sees this.
Bruce Tull

Post by Bruce Tull »

Hi Jim,

Yeah, of all the things to sell, a Hall of Fame plaque would seem like a nice memorial to keep.

Cheers, bt
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

I hope Scotty sees this.
He knows about it now.
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

The 50' Broadcaster is the jewel here. No telling what it is worth if it is indeed the real thing.
Bruce Tull

Post by Bruce Tull »

No kidding on the Broadcaster. $50 thou? Kinda startled me to see that pop up, and the reason I followed up on the ad. But, whatever they charge for it is likely to be way out of my league. If it were in OK, I'd go look at it, but AZ is a long drive.

Cheers, bt
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

DeWitt Scott

Fender

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I have seen the posting and seen the plaque that was made for Leon McAuliffe. The plaque looks genuine and there were two plaques made. One is on display on the wall in the lower level of the Millennium hotel and the other one was given to Leon. It is doubtful that his widow would ever part with the plaque. The year was 1978 and the cost of the plaque at that time was about $1,200 each. The plaques today cost is over $1,700.00 each. I no longer have two made but I do give the receipant a nice 8X10 copy mounted on a nice plaque.

The Fender products listed seems strange. The Broadcaster to my knowledge was a guitar, not a steel guitar. The Quad steels were either the Custom or the Stringmaster. Scotty
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

"Jerry" the seller called. He wouldn't give me prices for individual instruments as he's selling everything as a package. He says he's a collector. According to him the Bob Wills museum made offers on some of Leon's guitars but the bids weren't high enough. Jimmy said that Quads get $3-5K, since these are Leon's guitars the prices are higher.