Sho Bro. Opinions on value needed .

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bobby Boggs

Sho Bro. Opinions on value needed .

Post by Bobby Boggs »

I need your opinions on the max value of this instrument.it's 7 string as the picture shows. But is it Shot built or an import? How can you tell? THanks in advance....bb

chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i never heard of imported sho-bros.
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 27 Feb 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 27 Feb 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Haines

Post by Rob Haines »

I think these Sho-Bros are cool. I just bought one today at an estate auction. Everything I’ve read online talks about 6 and 7 string models, Gretch making them until 1973, then Shot making/assembling them again. I’ve seen serial number lists. The one I have is 8 string, all gold hardware, engraved cover plate. The fret markers are abalone, the fretboard inlays are pearl and abalone, and there is abalone binding along the top like a Martin D-41. There is no serial number. I’m thinking it might be made by Gretch but maybe Shot built it
My guess is that it was a custom order. Any info that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Image.
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

Rob -- I have one made by Shot. I verified if by finding his signature and date on the inside when I took the resonator off to clean it up. You might want to check to see if you have a signature and date hiding on the inside.
Al

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about
Rob Haines

Post by Rob Haines »

Thanks for the reply Al. Yeah I guess I'll have to take it apart to see if there is anything written down inside. I think I'll ask around town before I do that, people that knew Shot. Al, does your Sho-Bro have a serial number?
Rob
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

Rob -- mine doesn't have a serial number. It's evidently a one-of-a-kind with the player's "name" inlaid on the headstock underneath the ShoBud logo.
Al

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
Rob Haines

Post by Rob Haines »

I was cleaning up the case which was made by Gretch and I found a sticky label inside the compartment. Hand written:
Sho-Bro - $600.00
top inlay - $200.00
fretboard - $250.00
Gold
hardware - $100.00
Total - $1150.00
I guess that tells for sure what was a standard guitar, what the extras were and cost at the time the guitar was new. I showed it to Bobbe Seymour and he seemed to think that it was written by Shot, that's the sort of thing he would do. I also talked to a buddy, John Hedgecoth who worked at Gruhn's for 25 years. Apparently when Shot started making the guitars after Gretch in 1973, he would buy guitar bodies, Harmony Sovereign, and make the bodies from these. If you look at the two models 1260 and 1266:
http://www.broadwaymusicco.com/Harmony1.htm
you will see the body sizes are the same. Shot made the necks and had a guy who had a shop around the corner from his shop on Broadway did the inlays. Anyway, I love vintage instruments and history so any other info is appreciated. ~Rob
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

This looks exactly like the Sho-Bro I had in the early 90's. Traded it to a guy in South Carolina for a black D60 Dobro, because he wanted to try a Sho-Bro 7 string. The one I had was just like new when I traded it. Sorry, I do not remember where I bought it, maybe at Herb Remington's shop in Houston.

Value is probably in the $500 - $800 range.

Thanx,
Jim
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

Rob -- I forgot to mention mine's a ShoBud, not a ShoBro...that was probably important info before I had you searching inside for markings.

Interesting information, though, you found on how a ShoBro could be upgraded and spiffed up -- I haven't seen that before, but who the heck am I?
Al

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife