Rick Price with Jake Hooker

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jody Sanders

Rick Price with Jake Hooker

Post by Jody Sanders »

Just got home from seeing Jake Hooker and the Outsiders at the Tomball VFW in Tomball,Tx. Rick Price cannot possibly have an ass left. He played his ass off tonight. That black Emmons was really singing. Jake and the guys treated us to 4 hrs. of 2-steps,slow dances, waltzes, and western swing. Full house and the dance floor was full on every number. It is extremeley nice to see that many people enjoying the older country music. If they are in your area, and you like the older country, be there. Jody.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Rick Price cannot possibly have an ass left. He played his ass off tonight.
That is the best statement I've ever read on the Internet...maybe anywhere...
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

I learned a bunch of great licks off"Live at Dancetown"...a Johnny Bush album with Rick Price on it...I had it on a cassette tape about 30 years ago and played it until it disintegrated...Rick Price is a great steel player!
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Jody I highly agree, I remember the first time I heard Rick Price playing, I walked into Pearls one night and the first thing that caught my attention was this crisp, finely tuned/toned steel, I got tunnel vision and went straight up to the stage (at Pearls the steel is right next to the side of the stage and you can actually go up and watch the steel player play) and standing there was Chuck Cusimano kinda of standing there in awe with his mouth wide open and his head cocked to one side watching Rick also, We didn't even shake hands I asked Chuck who in the hell is this guy playing this beautiful sounding guitar and he told me Rick Price. Well I became an instant Rick Price fan that night and any time he's playing in this area we try to go out and listen....Yes he plays his hind end off each time he's behind that steel. One of the most underrated Steel Player in the business.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I forgot to add, Jake's singing was incredible. Jody.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Yes,Jake is a great singer and bass player...I was working out in Vegas a few years ago and Jake was playing down the street...Dickey Overbey played half the week and Rick the other half...couldn't get down there fast enough every nite...they played every good shuffle ever recorded!
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Several times during the show, tears came to my eyes as I thought I was probably listening to a dieing art. Steel, fiddle, 4/4 bass and shuffle beat on drums. It doesn't get any better than that. Jody.
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

What Steve and Jody said. Just outstanding!
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Rick Price is one of my favorites. It's great when a good steel player has the opportunity to play real steel guitar friendly music. Jake Hooker certainly fits this category. Rick Price, Dicky Overbey, Tommy Detamore, Junior Knight, etc... These guys are my heros, thanks to people like Jake Hooker, Curtis Potter, Amber Digby, Justin Trevino, etc... They keep my love of music alive and well.
Wayne Franco

I listen to Rick Price every chance I get

Post by Wayne Franco »

Unfortunately it is on record because I don't live in Texas. If I did I'd be camping on his doorstep and following him to every gig he played. I just love his playing.!!!!

Wayne Franco