Strings for E9

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charlie Silliman

Strings for E9

Post by Charlie Silliman »

This is my first post to the forum, having just been activated today. I having been visiting the forum for several weeks now and have enjoyed what I have read and learned. I am a composer/lyricist that playes piano and percussion and lives near Nashville, TN. I have loved "the sound" for years but have never touched an instrument. I just purchased a 3-year old Carter Starter and I will begin the next chapter in my musical journey this evening! My questions are these. Should I buy replacement strings from the forum or elsewhere? I'm all for supporting this group and if they make a small profit by selling strings (and for no shipping), so be it. On the other hand (great song, btw), I could just pick some up here in town. Next - What is the best lubricating oil to use on the various moveable parts of a steel? Would a 3 in 1 type do, or must I purchase some special type. Please advise and thanks.
b0b

Post by b0b »

The Carter Starter is designed for specific gauges, including a .022 wound for the 6th string. Most people can't find these sets locally, because other brands use an .020 plain as the 6th string.

Here's the link to our catalog page:
http://pedalsteelmusic.com/strings/E9.html#cs
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Hi Charlie and welcome to the Forum. I buy all my steel strings from Bob right here on the Forum. Besides good prices he stays on top of it and the strings arrive lickety split. As far as lubrication goes your gonna get a lot of different ideas on it but here's a link to get you started. Click Here
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Welcome Charlie !! I buy all my strings right here from the forum. Eeasy to find and very quick delievery. Also it helps to support a forum that is very important to many newbies and veterans alike.
Oil, I use transmission fluid normally. Heres the latest forum conversations about oils.. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=160281
Charlie Silliman

Post by Charlie Silliman »

Thanks for your responses. I will order some strings through the forum and research the oil issue from the links you sent.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Lubricant, not oil!
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Welcome Charlie.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Hey Charlie, I bid you a fond welcome also, as far as strings go, I would recomend the GHS Boomers nickle wound strings for that guitar.Carter Starter is a good guitar if you are starting out. The nickle wound string gives a sweet mellow tone. Stainless strings can cause ruts in your rollers at the changer end of the guitar.
b0b

Post by b0b »

The GHS Boomers for E9th have an .020 plain for the 6th string. Have you ever tried this on a Carter Starter, Tommy?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

As for lubrication of moving parts, Charles Stepp (Derby Steel Guitars) suggested “GUNK” Super Oil available for a very reaonable price at stores like Dollar General. From the makers of Liquid Wrench.
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster