What songs would make good instrumentals?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Walter Bowden wrote:In fact, I have not heard "classical" music done on a steel but, admittedly, have not been actively seeking it.
Walter, Check out Buddy Emmon's "Canon in D Major) on his white album, and B.J. Cole's "Transparent Music" CD which contains 4 classical selections.

A player named Marshall Hall recorded an LP of classical music back in the 70's but it's impossible to find anymore.

And I've recorded 3 CDs of classical music. You can hear a lot of my stuff at my web site. It contains 6 MP3s, 2 from each CD, and a tune widget with some more songs.
Last edited by Mike Perlowin on 21 May 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Joel Johnston

I've often thought these would sound good . . . ..

Post by Joel Johnston »

David - I love your videos and your playing. I think you could do a great job of "instrumentalizing" the old Platter's tune, "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes". I have always thought the chord progression favors a steel. I could see you doing for that tune what Lloyd Green did for "Moon River".
One other idea is Buck Owens "Under Your Spell Again", but do it in split tempo - the slow ballad version as Barbara Fairchild did it, then flash to the uptempo shuffle version as Buck did it, then finish back in the ballad mode, or visa-versa.
I hope these suggestions hold merit. You are a fantastic player and I would love to hear your interpretation of these tunes.
Joel[/b]
Joel Johnston

Just thought of another one . . . .

Post by Joel Johnston »

Here's one that might hit closer to home for you over there across the pond. I am a huge Matt Monroe fan and I think the progression and the feeling that can be expressed in his song "Softly As I Leave You" would make it a great ballad instrumental on the steel.
I'm interested in your thoughts and anyone else's on these suggestions.
JJ
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

"Softly As I Leave You" --- Woah!!!

That's the one, David. I can't understand why it hasn't been done on PSG long before this.
Matthew Carlin

Post by Matthew Carlin »

I like to hear a steel guitarists take on Purple Rain... or on the jazz side St. Thomas
"Just tryin to make some music in the money business"
Rick Lodholz

Post by Rick Lodholz »

OK; I'm not sure who wrote it and have only heard it from one guitarist. I believe the song is called "The Prophet" and I have it on a blues album that was done by a guitarist from Thin Lizzy named Gary Moore. It's a beautiful piece of work and I would pay good money if I knew someone who could tab it out for E9-(if it's possible). Someone help me out here!

I am also a Mark Knopfler fan and think there are some sweet choices in his repertoire.

Regards

Rick Lodholz
The Early Bird May Get The Worm...But The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese!

74 LDG-George L Pup & cables, NV 400 w/extreme mod by Ken Fox, Hilton Pedal, Tama Throne.

International Sho-Bud Brotherhood Member # 1974
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

Speaking of Dire Straits, how about "Sultans of Swing"????? I can already hear those changes on a steel guitar in my head!
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Rick Lodholz

Post by Rick Lodholz »

Bob;

I agree "Sultans" would be nice! As far as Knopfler goes he has been so prolific and has penetrated several genres of music in a positive way. I cannot think of anything that could be said about his music that was not complimentary. (my favs have got to be some of his "Sailing to Philadelphia" album..like his duet with Van Morrison). JMHO

Regards

Rick Lodholz
The Early Bird May Get The Worm...But The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese!

74 LDG-George L Pup & cables, NV 400 w/extreme mod by Ken Fox, Hilton Pedal, Tama Throne.

International Sho-Bud Brotherhood Member # 1974
Cameron Tilbury

Post by Cameron Tilbury »

A couple of great songs occurred to me as I was taking the train home last night. I think these would make really nice instrumentals:

Gran Torino (the theme from the film). Jamie Cullum did the vocals with Clint Eastwood.

Bad Timing by Blue Rodeo
Sho Bud Super Pro D10
John Richmond

Post by John Richmond »

David, anything you and your mate John S. tear into comes out great, but here are my picks (sorry if they've already been suggested):
1) "You Don't Know Me" Mickey Gilley
2) "Don't Cheat in Our Hometown" Ricky Skaggs
3) "One Way Rider" Ricky Skaggs
4) "Rainy Day Woman" Waylon Jennings
5) "Down Along the Cove" Bob Dylan
6) "She Belongs to Me" Bob Dylan
7) "Lay Lady Lay" Bob Dylan
8) "Big Mamou" Jimmy C. Newman or Fiddlin' Frenchie Burke
9) "Blame It on Your Heart" Patty Loveless
10)"I've Just Seen a Face" the Beatles
Joan Cox

Post by Joan Cox »

I was in the Jackson room at the Dallas show this year, and Rusty Rhodes was in there playing one of the guitars. He was playing one of those songs you know, but can't think of the name of it...it was the theme to "I Dream of Jeannie"..Rusty's a great player, and I thought it was neat that he'd be playing that tune on steel...the bridge part is a little weird anyway, but he did it exactly right. Thanks a lot Rusty, I still can't get that song out of my head... A neat break song maybe too.. :lol:
Joan Cox
Alan Miller

Post by Alan Miller »

David , JARUSALEM , a poem by william blake put to music by Sir Hubert parry.....a powerful , uplifting emotional piece, must be perfect for steel in that case.....AND DID THOSE FEET IN ANCIENT TIMES, WALK UPON ENGLAND'S PASTURES GREEN?
Not strictly a hymn some ministers in the uk won't allow it in church, originally the question was being asked " did a young jesus accompanied by his uncle, visit England (glastonbury area ) as maybe suggested in the bible.

Buddy's recording of the "cannon suite in D major" was awesome , it was my favourite " classical " piece anyway and to hear it played on steel by B.E was just whoooooooow !
Glenn Suchan

Steel Guitar Instrumentals

Post by Glenn Suchan »

"Afro Blue" by Monga Santamaria (Emily Remler's arrangement)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVuAz9M381Y

"Finlandia" (the main theme) by Jean Sibelius. This was was adapted to a Christian hymn by Katharina A. von Schlegel and called "Be Stil My Soul". Here is a solo guitar version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYjiY9uI37k

Miles Davis' "All Blues"

Jimmy McGriff's "Grits, Gravy and Groove"

Jorma Kaukonen's "Letter to the North Star" aka "Lord Have Mercy"

Pat Martino's "Consciousness"

Keep on pickn'!
Glenn
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

ABBA's "Fernando".
Connie Mack

Post by Connie Mack »

hawaii 5-0
82'sho-bud u-12, frankendekely u-12, bride of frankendekley u-12, a whole mess of other instruments...finger still messed up but getting better...
Joe McHam

Instrumentals!!!

Post by Joe McHam »

How about?
Sugar Foot Rag
Out There Somewhere
By The Time I Get to Phoenix
Amarillo By Morning
Big Boquet of Roses
Rainy Night in Georgia
Houston, TX
Excel Superb S-12 8&5
Fender Princeton Amp.
Peavey Vegas Amp.
Casio PG-380 midi guitar
Ham Radio WA5OKT
Private Pilot SEL
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Mexicali Rose
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

David-There is a lot of good songs listed on all these posts. Plenty to work on.

I like the tunes that Edward Meisse and Billy Tonneson, along with so many others listed. I have played so many solo songs on the Steel over the years that I cant even name my favorites.

I like them all, as they sound so great on the Steel guitar, the greatest musical instrument of them all in my opinion....al.:):) :D :D 8) 8)
Michigan (MSGC)Christmas Dinner and Jam on my 80th Birthday.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

David, theres is a song that I have heard in a AT&T comercial, I do not the title of it. But the video shows a woman returning to the States, and she is getting video and text from a man over in Paris and London. I told my wife when I heard it, that there was something missing in it. And she said yes, the steel guitar. While I listened closely, I thought to my self, that the song could be pretty steel guitar song. I wish I knew the name of it and the artist that is singing it.
Tommy Shown
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

"I Don't Know How to Love Him" from "Jesus Christ Superstar"

"Along the Navajo Trail" which was a big band tune but I heard it first by Duane Eddy.

"Telstar"

"The Very Thought of You" by Jerome Kern who wrote great chord progressions

This thread is givian a lot of steel players a lot of ideas. Thanks for starting it, David H.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

As many of you know, I'm exploring the world of Classical music, much of which is extremely well suited to the steel. Here are some suggestions from that world.

Debussy: "Clair du Lune" and "Reverie." B.J. Cole recorded Clair du Lune on his "Transparent Music" CD. as well as "Pavane for a Dead Princess" by Maurice Ravel, and 2 pieces by Eric Satie. I played Reverie at the 2008 SWSGA show.

Brahms: opus 39, no. 15. This piece doesn't have a name.

Dvorak: The 2nd movement from his 9th Symphony, which is often called the "New World Symphony" and is based on American folk music themes, including country music. Don Williams wrote words to one of the Dvorak's melodies from this symphony and had a hit record called "Miracles."

Gabrial Fauré: "Pavane" Jim Hoke recorded a beautiful version of this on his "Otto" CD.

Saint Sans: "The Swan" (from "Carnival of the animals.") Gerry Hogan plays this.

There are thousands of pieces of classical music that lend themselves to interpretation on the steel. I'm finding more and more of them all the time.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Anything off of the new Green Day album -- if you can hack it...
I need an Emmons!
Larry R

Post by Larry R »

Ghost Riders in the Sky
Alan Harrison

Steel Songs!

Post by Alan Harrison »

Two I enjoy playing are "What A Difference A Day Makes" and "There I Said It Again".
Nice big band tunes with big fat chords on C6th...alan
Mullen (Black) Pre G-2 9x7, B.L. 705 PUP's, Evans SE 200 Telonics NEO 15-4, BJS Bar, Peterson Strobo Flip, Steelers Choice Seat, Folgers Coffee and Hilton Pedals.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

David
You've been missing from this discussion...It would be nice to get some of your thoughts.
Jack
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3