Rick Alexander's hospitalization and passing

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Michael Winslow

Post by Michael Winslow »

Dear Ricky,

I feel so helpless. You are such a great human being. I'm sending you all of my positive vibrations.....
Yer Pal,
Mike
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Any recent news ? Have they brought Rick out of the induced coma yet ?
Ben Rubright

Post by Ben Rubright »

Floridian thoughts, prayers, and best wishes all the way from Germany.

Ben and Carol Rubright (a small part of your army of friends)
D10 Emmons LeGrande SKH (rebuilt by Billy Knowles), D10 Emmons Push/Pull (setup by Billy Knowles) , SD10 Rittenberry
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

Get well wishes are coming your way from Beijing, Rick.
Bill Hampton

Post by Bill Hampton »

More prayers from Colorado Rick.

Though we've never met, you've been a great help to me through your efforts on this forum.

Get well soon -- the world needs more folks like you!!
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Hi all -

I got an update today, and Rick is doing about as well as to be expected, given what all his body has been through.

He's still sedated on the ventilator, and is also having to undergo dialysis due to kidney failure after the cardiac arrest. The nephrologist feels this will be temporary.

His heart appears to be in good shape...we're just waiting for the rest of his body to bounce back and function on its own. Hopefully the vent can be removed in a few days and he can be brought back to consciousness.

I'll give another update as soon as I know something...

I reassured his daughter of the thousands of people who are thinking of him and praying for him.

Thank you all for your support!! I'm for certain that all this positive energy has helped him through so far. Let's please keep 'the wave' going for Rick!
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

Amen on keeping the prayers and good thoughts going!!!Thanks Jeff...
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Add another. Been watching, waiting and hoping from the start.
Philip Bender

Get well Rick

Post by Philip Bender »

Aloha All,
A few months ago after being diagnosed with Parkinsons, and not being able to play steel as I had, I put my Triple neck Excel guitar up for sale on the Forum. I had several responses to the item, but Rick answered with compassion in his response. We made a deal, and as I left his home, he said to me, "If you get over this problem, I will always have the guitar waiting for you, I will not sell it".
To make a long story short , the doctors that were treating me came up with a combination of drugs that improved my condition, and in a few months, I was able to hold the bar in my hand. After a brief phone call to THE Rick, I went to his home to pick the guitar up. I asked him how much I owed him and he said, "just what I gave you for it".
After that, he attempted to help me make a CD for me and my family and friends, but alas the hard drive crashed, and we lost the data.
All I can say about Rick is that he is the warmest, most genuine person that I know, and he deserves our prayers, and our help when he gets well.
WHAT A GUY HE IS!!!

Mahalo Nui loa,
Phil Bender ( No 1 Rick fan)
Charley Wilder

Post by Charley Wilder »

Cautious good news! I know I'm only one many who are checking this thread often. Again, my thoughts are with you and your family, Rick. Get well!
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

I just received terrible news. Rick has passed away. I started a new topic in extended family.
Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

Very very sad to hear....
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I am shocked and saddened by this news. What a tremendous loss to the steel guitar community. I never met Rick, but we exchanged many emails, including a few just before he went into the hospital. Rick was totally committed to the steel guitar, and he did a Lot to spread the word about steel. He was a performer, an educator, and a promoter. Rest in peace, Rick
Jim Dickinson

Post by Jim Dickinson »

I never met the man, I wanted to, was even thinking of going to Florida and stopping in for lunch at that shoreside bar. I sent a couple of links to his videos to my friends- the title line said "let's go". I probably have had the some of the least contact with him, of you all, just several phone calls and emails. In that short time, Rick gave me a number of good suggestions and was very supportive in my ideas of things Steel.

On our conversations, I mentioned that I was an Argentine Tango Dancer, of all things Rick ask me to forward him some links to it. I could just see, or rather hear it, Tango on a Steel Guitar, but, that was just several days before he was stricken, I didn't get to it. With a guy like him, you know it would have worked. Man, I was just getting to Know him and I feel like I have lost a longtime best friend.

So, thank you Mr. Alexander, may your journey take you to the light, just as you led us to it in your altogether too short time here.

Jim Dickinson
David McMillan

Post by David McMillan »

I am very saddened by Rick's passing. He is not feeling any pain now and is getting ready for a glorius gig UP THERE. He was very knowledgeable in his trade and was always there to help everyone. RICK, WE WILL MISS YOU!

David McMillan :(
David McMillan

Ellisville, MS

Yamaha 300 Keyboard,
Handmade Console 8 Steel Guitar
by G.B. Greene, Louin, MS
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

This is a very sad, unexpected and painful loss. We are all diminished by it, whether we play pedal or non-pedal. Rick gave so much of himself for all of us, it humbles me to think of what he had left to give that will remain forever his now.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

A very sad ending to this story.I never met him but we exchanged many emails. Rick shared so generously to promote our instrument and his love of music and steel guitar wee evident. What a loss to our community. My condolences to his family and to all of us who considered him a friend.
Iain Carmichael

Post by Iain Carmichael »

This is very sad. His was a vital and, yes, you could say a beautiful presence in the midst of this good forum. He was, clearly, a fine man. My thoughts are with his family.
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

Farewell Rick,

I met Rick in Ft. Lauderdale and visited his home on his invitation. He was so gracious and a very warm and generous host.

Rick, you are greatly missed.........my deepest condolences to Rick's family......

May God rest his soul in peace, harmony and music forevermore.........TX

Ron
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Unbelievable. One of the really good ones, and I've been stressing out over BS. Hadn't even been aware that he was ill during all this moving mess. Rick did a lot of really big favors for people on here over the years, me included. We are all reduced a bit in his absence.
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Rick Alexander wrote: Music is a journey, not a destination.
I am sure you enjoyed every twist and turn of that journey Rick. Now rest in peace, you did good.

Steinar
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I can't believe it :cry:
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i too am deeply saddened to know of Rick's passing
to say the least, he was quite devoted to steel
yes, we have lost a real good guy
i never met him but i sure appreciated all his contributions here on the forum
i'm sure he won many a blessings
RIP RA
Richard Terry

Rick

Post by Richard Terry »

Rick was a fine, generous presence on the Forum. I will never forget those images of him on that Florida beach, standing where he stood, playing and the people moving past behind him, the living feel of it. The voices from the bar, the wind in the microphone. The journey right there in the moment. I will miss him.

He gave to all of us.

Richard Terry
RH2 Chandler, D10 SuperSlide
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

This just completely sucks. I can't stop thinking about him and all the good work he did and friendships he forged here in just a relatively short amount of time. Hopefully, his instructional videos will stay on the net so he can keep helping people for a long time to come.