Rick Alexander's hospitalization and passing

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Richard Terry

Post by Richard Terry »

Rick, the very best wishes for a speedy recovery. You are a most generous teacher, and though you don't know me at all, you've answered dozens of questions without me even having to ask. May you have the best doctors with the best hands.

Richard Terry
RH2 Chandler, D10 SuperSlide
Dave Britton

Post by Dave Britton »

Rick - Praying for your full & speedy recovery with a minimum amount of residual pain. You're a mainstay for this forum and steel guitar music. It shows by your many devoted friends and fans.

The best to you and your family.

-Dave Britton
Ronald Smith

rick

Post by Ronald Smith »

Rick,

This old man has already talked with the Master and looking for a speedy recovery. We all need you and your music that is so great.

God bless all,

Ronald Smith
Craig Stenseth

Post by Craig Stenseth »

Rick,
Get well soon!
William Clark

Post by William Clark »

Rick, My prayers are with you!! Get well soon!!!
Bill
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

Same here Rick. My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. We need to have you healthy and back over here posting again real soon.
Dave Sky

Post by Dave Sky »

Rick, you are appreciated both for your knowledge and for being the kind of person that wants to help others. May you have healing rest, jovial friends and try not to make a lap steel out of a bed pan.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Rick,

Take care, friend.

Drew
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

I talked to Rick this morning! He's doing as well as can be expected at this point. He's weak, of course, but in good spirits

He had the heart cath on Friday, and it went well. The heart and vessels were in good condition, so no no stent was needed; in fact, it was determined that the malfunctioning valve is a congenital defect. So at least there's no vessel disease or damage.

On Monday, he'll have the big procedure... replacement of the aortic valve via open heart surgery. Basically, a tube will be inserted into his airway, so a respirator can take over breathing. Then, the chest will be cut and cracked open. Since the surgeon can't work on a beating heart, a cardio-pulmonary bypass machine (also called a heart-lung machine) is used to keep oxygen-rich blood flowing through the body while the heart is stopped. Once the old valve is cut out and replaced, the heart is restarted, and he'll be disconnected from the machines. The procedure usually takes about 3 to 4 hours.

He was able to read some posts and is so thankful to everyone for their support. He asked me several times to be sure I thanked everyone. It has really meant a lot to him...at times, he told me it was as if he could feel the power of prayer helping him a long. Especially when he got the news that there's no further damage, other than the valve itself.

I'll update you on further info as I receive it.
Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers...he's certainly not out of the woods yet, and needs all of us pulling for him on the big day. :)
Billy Gilbert

Rick

Post by Billy Gilbert »

It is good to know that there is no other damage. About 70,000 of these "procedures" are done in the US every year, so the surgeons get enough practice to "keep their hand in".

He won't know anything about the operation, but when he wakes up, he will be in for 6 to 8 weeks of unbelievable weakness and lack of motivation. The salt free diet they put you own makes everything taste like sawdust, and I had to make myself drink water, and I still didn't drink enough. He will make it though, and be back at full speed by next March in Dallas. :) :)
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

DAMMIT ......and every other exclamation I can and can't think of, condensed (^%$#^%$#@&$* Image ). Grrrrrrrrr.......

Just got back to the SGF after several weeks absence; And find this news. Grrrrrrr..................

Sorry, I have a hard time hearing of Friends with troubles, .....even though I know darn well that there is Good reason in the cosmos for Those that deserve it, and Rick SURE deserves Good (MUCH more than candy stripers washin' his toes .....although that's a pretty good bennie itself); And he's sure up to this sidetrack and challenge. So when my innards settle down here I'm sure I will realize this challenge is indeed for some Good and rewarding reason (like revealing the faulty valve at just the right time, etc.); Tryin' to convince myself anyway. But in the meantime, GRRRRRRRR...............

Lord, ......help me understand what yer doin' here ....7 come 11 for Rick if You will please ....I'll clean my dashboard's plastic Jesus, and hang a fresh lei on it, as soon as I finish this message (well, soon as I try to contact Rick); .....And bless all them starvin' pygmies down in new guinnea; Trying real hard here, Boss; Amen.

Rick and Family; BE SURE to let me & us here know if you Folks need anything at all; No doubt you got plenty Friends and Folks here eager to deliver. MANY hands and hearts outstretched for ya, Bro. Give us the pleasure and honor of returning the Friendship and gracious generosity you've given all of us; We.O.U.
Last edited by Denny Turner on 17 May 2009 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aloha,
Denny T~
http://www.dennysguitars.com/

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Thanks for the update Jeff! Hang in there Rick - all the best for the operation and recovery.

Fred
Charles Buttner Jr

Post by Charles Buttner Jr »

Rick,

We'll keep youin our prayers. Get well soon.

charlie Buttner
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

From over here on the other side of the country I still feel like we're family in a sense. Get well soon. That collection of steels needs you.
Your friend in music,
Dave harmonson
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

See you when you get back. Enjoy the rest.
Jay Y.
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Rick.....We should all be thankful that they "caught it" early. You will be up, running and playing better than ever shortly. Prayers are on the way for a speedy recovery.
Gary Stevenson

Post by Gary Stevenson »

The Angels are on alert and working double time for Rick,the many prayers will help Rick, so here's to a speedy recovery.
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

Thanks for the update Jeff..Glad to hear that it's something that the medics can fix..
BTW they did my by pass whith out the machine.It was a new procedure that I had to sign off on...
Thinkin of you Rick..
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

Rick,

Just received this shocking news this AM......Especially on this day, God keep you strong!! TX

Rgds,

Ron
Guy Cundell

Post by Guy Cundell »

Rick, break a leg, mate.

Our thoughts are with you today.

guy
Jim Newberry

Post by Jim Newberry »

Another voice from Seattle wishing you all the best of everything. Quick recovery to you buddy!
"The Masher of Touch and Tone"

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
Jamie O'Connell

Post by Jamie O'Connell »

Get well soon, Rick! That's good news about no permanent damage to the other parts.

--Jamie
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Rick must have had his operation by now. Any news ?
Al Salmon

Post by Al Salmon »

Today's the day! May the maker of all things choose to keep you safe my friend.
Reverend Al Salmon.
'Six is enough, but eight is great!'
Billy Gilbert

Rick

Post by Billy Gilbert »

Hey Jeff, Do you have another update for us?? :( :(