Grand Ole Opry

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

BUDDY BARROWCLIFF

Grand Ole Opry

Post by BUDDY BARROWCLIFF »

Whats the scoop on the opry live portion on GAC
They haven't had a new show on in months.
Has the ression hit GAC and the opry too?
And with the summer touring coming up groups and artists won't be available either so it will continue.
?????

Buddy B
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

I'm afraid the Opry is soon to be a thing of the past. We're hearing it will possibly be moving to Ft. Worth TX, but will only be in abreviated form from what we've all known. The Opry doesn't even do a 2nd show on Saturday nights anymore. Everything you hear on WSM Radio after 9:30pm on Saturdays is taped segments from archive Opry Shows of yesteryear. All the good Opry stars & performers have either died off or no longer wish to be associated with the Mother Church of Country Music. It's sad folks, but a reality here in Nashville. Seems they just can't produce anything NEW thats as good as what we had years ago on the Opry. I grew up just 60 miles north of Nashville and the Opry was always our staple of traditional country music. But times are a changin, and it's dwindling away.

Enjoy a little of the past:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2-vdqnjL2I

Nick
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

"Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes". If this actually comes to pass, it will be so sad to talk about Nashville and have to admit that the Opry is no longer there. There may be a positive outcome if the Texas Grand Ole Opry caters to the real country singers that are out there like Amber Digby, Justin Trevino, Bobby Flores, etc... In any case, I suppose something needs to change, because the Opry doesn't seem to be fairing very well in it's present situation. This is a sad time in country music for me. :(
Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

Why, just why, would anybody want to change the Opry?
:(. It just don't get any better than the you tube video Nick posted.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Luke,

I've been trying to figure that out for several years. Obviously, they're not happy with what they've let the Opry become. Someone should say "I told you so".

I'm lucky that I got to play there when it was still the real thing and there was a lot of prestige in being on the Opry stage. I don't see much of that anymore.

Some pictures of me on the stage behind the WSM microphone are among my most cherished possessions. I wish I had a video.
Sonny Priddy

opry

Post by Sonny Priddy »

I'm With You Nick We Are From The Old School And I loved It that Way. SONNY.
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

Why, just why, would anybody want to change the Opry?
One thing....and one thing only.

$$$$$$$
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

At the Grand Ol Opry 50th year celebration in 1975 I predicted the GOP would not Last another 25 years and was practically laughed out of the room. It was easy for me to see the change beginning when the Opry left the Ryman and went to the new bldg. As Rick said I am glad I was on stage while it was still country music and at the Ryman. Jody.
Paul King

opry

Post by Paul King »

I cannot say that I am surprised. I have complained over and over about todays Opry and the music that is played there. There are very few of the older stars still there that made the Opry what is was for years. Todays music is not country IMHO. I have always told people that country music was the only music that had a place where the older stars could perform on a weekly basis. Well, it appears that may be ending. I remember it was not too long ago that Stonewall Jackson filed a lawsuit against the Opry which I believe is now settled. It appears all we will have is the memories and hopefully a lot of video from the past.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

In truth the Opry has changed with the passing of many greats who gave their 100% of support to it..The Gaylords have little interest in it except to rake in the big bucks without investing a whole lot to maintain the history of why it came into existance...WSM no longer feels Country as it was is enough to continue supporting what made their reputation and high ranking in the past..Tourist don't flock to the city as in the past because all there is is lower broadway and a few spots where they can hear some of the great ex road and studio musicians..And the Opry..Other than that Opryland family funland has been replaced by Shopryland..The CMA award shows,and whatever name the others are called are more into the glamour of Hollywood and New York for its show locations..So why not go to where Country music is still alive..TEXAS..
Cameron Tilbury

Post by Cameron Tilbury »

I was fortunate enough to go to the Opry when I was 16 in 1977. I haven't been since and have been wanting to go to Nashville for quite a while.
It looks like I'm going to be taking my wife (who has never been) this coming September. It may not be what it once was, but at least she'll have been able to experience it.
I can't imagine it not being in Nashville, but if it has to go to Texas to survive, so be it. Damn shame about what has happened to it though.
Sho Bud Super Pro D10
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Joe Casey wrote:The Gaylords have little interest in it except to rake in the big bucks without investing a whole lot to maintain the history of why it came into existance..
The "History" of the Grand Ole Opry (previously known as the WSM Barn Dance), is that it came into existence, as an advertising ploy for the National Life & Accident Insurance Company. The whole thing started as an on air show to sell insurance and "rake in the big bucks".
So it seems that the current management IS maintaining the history of why it came into existence!!!
Kevin Lange

Post by Kevin Lange »

There IS a 9:30 GOO show on Saturday nights. I know, because my son Eddie plays steel for Bill Anderson, and they work that show a lot. As to whether WSM broadcasts it, I don't know. If they don't, that's really too bad, but not really surprising considering the direction they have been taking lately. But as a rule, things change. On an up note, coming up on May 17th, my group and I will be backing Stonewall Jackson at a sold out show at a new club here in central MN. We are lucky to have a very loyal classic and traditional style country music audience here.

Kevin
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

It may not be what it once was, but at least she'll have been able to experience it.

Some years ago, my daughter and I visited the Ryman and the Opry exhibit and, yes, ponyed up the money for a picture of us standing on the stage, strumming chords on two cheap guitars. At the time, it seemed a little silly, but we agreed on it as the thing to do.

Now, with the Opry as it is and likely will be, we feel that if you can say you actually played guitar on the stage of the Ryman (not Opryland), you can't do better.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

There is an article in today's (on line) Nashville Tennessean about the Mayor appointing a committee to explore ways to keep Nashville as "Music City". But, he doesn't see the forrest for the trees as he wants to incorporate all forms of music rather than promote what made Nashville "Music City" - the country music venues. I don't have a problem with other venues of music but this seems to go back to when the city fathers and other Nashvillians ignored or tolerated the "Hillbilly's". I don't see building a new Ampitheatre and having "Fan Fair" type activities for other types of music is going to lure tourists to Nashville. Traditional Country music fans, the actual loyal fans, and the Opry were what made the "loyal" trek to Nashville. Opryland bumped up the tourist trade but Gaylord dumped that for "Shopryland" which is not a tourist draw and all they have left is the current "diluted" Opry (and it's high admission prices).
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

In any case, I suppose something needs to change, because the Opry doesn't seem to be fairing very well in it's present situation.
Given enough time, rich people will screw up anything. In the old days, all you had to do was break even, and maybe make a little extra. You enjoyed what you were doing, and were able to make a decent living doing it. Nowadays, things are bigger. There's boards of directors and stockholders to answer to. "A little extra" just doesn't cut it anymore. They want a guaranteed double-digit return on their investment, and continuing growth. They want increased market share, and vise-like (or is that vice-like?) control over all aspects of the business. They'll bleed the dying corpse 'til it's dry, and then fold up the show and move on to ravage, redo, and then dispose of some other nice little enterprise.
Chuck Huffman
Location: Sonora, California, Now Living in Siloam Springs, Ar. USA

Post by Chuck Huffman »

This is horrible news about the Opry. I'm only 40 but as a kid growing up my family anticipated the opry show every week. I loved to watch and listen to all the greats. Things change over time and not always for the better. We can all hope as trends change the Opry will be back strong.
ZumSteel SD-10 5-8, GFI Ultra SD-10 3+4, Goodrich V/P, Boss DD3, FenderFM, Vegas 400. Learning to play for my Savior, Jesus......
John Floyd

Let it Go, Its Over Now

Post by John Floyd »

Rick Campbell Wrote

Someone should say "I told you so".

A lot of us have as long as this forum has been online.

I started noticing the changes the early 70's when all the washed up rockers started drifting into Nashville to try and a make a buck. Most of the suits thought that was cool especially those who weren't legit country. So the system changed and IMHO not for the better.

A lot of us road pickers were always bitching about the studios being closed to us, when we should have beeen trying to improve what we played. The ones who did became highly sucessful.

A lot of the record producers mistook different for better.Some of these record producers should have been used car salesmen. It would have been the same process except they wouldn't have beeen destroying a legimate art form.

Nashville society never really accepted country music, but was more than happy to take the money. I always thought there were laws against prostitution. :\ :eek: It was ripe for somebody like Gaylord to come in and take over.

I hope it does move to Texas Where it will be appreciated.