12 string Sho Buds

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Cook

12 string Sho Buds

Post by Alan Cook »

Anybody know how many 12 string sho buds were made? I am thinking of buying one serial number 8357 can anyone tell me the year? Its a green single body 3x5

Alan
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Does it have six double courses or twelve individual strings ?
Alan Cook

12 string Sho Buds

Post by Alan Cook »

12 individual strings
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

The stock color was blue, and they often fade to green. But it could also have been custom ordered green.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Jack Abraham

Post by Jack Abraham »

I have a S12 that I bought @ ten years ago. It has been a real workhouse for me ... stays in tune really well.
Sho-Bud & Jackson guitars - Peavey,GK,& Randall amps - PODXT & ZOOM effects
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Hi Alan, I think you know I got mine in 1977 at the Sho-Bud shop in London. It was a 3 pedal 5 knee lever extended E9th. I had the extra bits made up locally in 1981 to make it a "Universal" tuning. As far as I know there weren't too many 12's made. Mine was only a double raise/single lower, and according to Sho-Bud guru Ricky Davis a very good changer for tone. Mine is for keeps :) Lost your e'mail and phone number so if you can mail me. Love to Karen, cheers...Micky

Micky Byrne United Kingdom

www.micky-byrne.co.uk also on facebook :lol:
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Fo'Bro' Larry Bell had a nice one 4 sale not too long ago

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=152974

Howard Palmer

Post by Howard Palmer »

Here's mine. The body on this one was so badly refinished when I got it that I had to build a new body for it. I used Lacewood and got new knee levers and extra parts needed from Coop as well as decals.
It sounds fabulous and I like the white fretboard for contrast against the fairly dark wood but like others who have responded, I think the black boards on a maple Sho-Bud is classic and can't be beat.
Howard Palmer

Post by Howard Palmer »

Here's mine. The body on this one was so badly refinished when I got it that I had to build a new body for it. I used Lacewood and got new knee levers and extra parts needed from Coop as well as decals.
It sounds fabulous and I like the white fretboard for contrast against the fairly dark wood but like others who have responded, I think the black boards on a maple Sho-Bud is classic and can't be beat.
Howard Palmer

Post by Howard Palmer »

Sorry about the double post :\
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Here's a shot of me and my old S-12 ShoBud (the guitar player is Cecil Bays). It's a little fuzzy.... When I first got the 'bud in '77 it was a very pretty blue stain but after years in the bars it was "green". I experimented with this guitar a lot, adding pedals, levers etc. At one point I had it up to 8 floor pedals and 7 knee levers but when I sold it in the nineties it was down to 4 pedals and 5 knee levers. Mine also had an Emmons pickup installed about a year after I bought it.......JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Hey Bro Jerry, as you know that pic there of your Bud is the mirror immage of mine before it's "resurrection" ....Mine as you know also had an Emmons p/u and was 4 pedals and 7 knees. Now it's 4 pedals and 6 knees. Still does the biz, but It's heavy as you well know, and I don't use her anymore.I think yours and mine may have been next to each other at the Sho-Bud factory, as I got mine too in 1977. I think you have seen the way she looks now in a previous thread. She's now a kinda lighter Turquois colour and a white fretboard...she's now called "Phoenix" for obvious reasons, and still has the tear drop levers and wide pedals. :)

Micky Byrne United Kingdom

www.micky-byrne.co.uk facebook too