Anyone know this steeler?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Walter Bowden

Anyone know this steeler?

Post by Walter Bowden »

Does anyone know who played steel on the Carpenter's hit "I'm on the (1/4 note rest) Top of the World"? It's really sweet, sweet stuff.
Emmons S10, p/p, Nashville 112, Zion 50 tele style guitar, Gibson LP Classic w/Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe De Ville and a Rawdon-Hall classical
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

I am pretty sure it's Buddy Emmons.
Jerry Fessenden

steeler

Post by Jerry Fessenden »

I think it was Red Rhodes.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I think it was both Buddy and Red.

Tony
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Sounds more like JayDee to me !!
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jon Graboff

Post by Jon Graboff »

This question has come up before and I think Tony is right. Both Buddy and Red but I'm not sure who where and when. I haven't heard it in a long time!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Red Rhodes played the intro and ending, and Buddy Emmons played the fills.

He's the word from the man himself:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a thread entitled "Dan Dugmore" dated 03/08/2000, Buddy Emmons posted the following:
Buddy Emmons
Hermitage, TN USA
posted 08 March 2000 07:57 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For some that aren't familiar, Red played the intro (middle?) and ending to "On Top Of The World" and I played some fills. I was impressed by how Richard Carpenter had the entire song structured in his head. He wanted specific licks in certain areas, and to make sure he got what he wanted from me, he played them to me on the keyboard. I believe the entrance to my fill section was a Ralph Mooney type lick, which was Richard's idea and what I thought was quite a tribute to Ralph.
Richard was the genius behind the Carpenter sound, and by the time I left the studio, I knew why so many Carpenter recordings were as close to perfection as you can get. Of course it didn't hurt to have one of the finest and truest female voices I've ever heard.

As for the topic, hi Dan, if you're out there. You are a terrific player and Blue Bayou gets my vote for one of the more memorable and tasty turnarounds in the history of the steel guitar."