Latest six string score..........I love it! (Ibanez)

Bottleneck slide guitars, B-benders, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jerry Hayes

Latest six string score..........I love it! (Ibanez)

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I stopped by the local Guitar Center a couple of days ago and found this prize on the wall for only $399...... I've been looking for another Ibanez Artist for a good while now as I love 'em, this one is a 1982 vintage. I had a black one at one point but gave it away to an aspiring rock guitarist friend of mine who was in love with it........

I've set the action very low on this baby and with the ebony fretboard it's a dream to play. The finish is very nice! It's a pearl like faded yellow with gold binding and hardware.
Image I'll be doing a wiring change in a few days for some added sounds. I'm taking it to the gig tonight as my only six stringer. Anyone else ever had an Ibanez Artist?.....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I think that's a great deal for an early-80's Ibanez Artist. Very fine guitars, I've had a couple over the years - both a solid-body like this and a ES-335 type semi-hollow Artist similar to what John Scofield plays, but made in 80 or 81 before he started endorsing them. The necks were great, and they sounded excellent.

The pickups on mine sounded good, but were pretty overwound, as compared to an old PAF. But they still sounded good - I thought about changing them, but didn't wind up doing it. Still wound up trading them away. But that semi-hollow was the best "335" I ever had.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Those and the "Musician" series were killer guitars - the Artists were like a great Gibson back when Gibson wasn't (great :lol:) and the Musicians were a poor man's Alembic, only more normal. There are some great basses from them, too.

Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

Cool guitar. I have an Ibanez just like it in black. Picked it up at a garage sale for forty bucks with a hardshell case. It wasn't cosmetically perfect, so I didn't feel bad about mounting a Roland GK2 pickup below the bridge pickup to make it my MIDI guitar. Mine has the Ibanez super 70 pickups, which I like very much.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I just took it to the gig last night and used it for about 60% of the songs. I'd have used it for the whole night but I missed my B-bender on some things. Here's a shot of the other Ibanez guitars I have........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Cleat Wooley

Post by Cleat Wooley »

The third Ibanez ,I [ cleat wooley]. us't to own one. I played every Wed. Night as J. Swaggerts Minstrys. Also in the single Ministry. And some Sunday morning there . They even use it on there college Mag. On my web site go to cleatwooley.com go 1st. or 2nd. page I belive the picure is there if not will be. GREAT GUITAR.!!!! :D cleatwooley.com
Cleat Wooley

Post by Cleat Wooley »

Thats, HOME Page ,2nd. Page. cleatwooley.com correction . AT J. Swaggers Mins. Trying to adjust to new glasses !@?. :roll:
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Hey Jerry,Nice score...I notice that on your Jr. you have a little B bender that looks the kind my friend Richard Bowden used to make,What kind is that?Stu ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Stu, the mechanism for the B-Bender is mounted on the back of the guitar and is strap actuated just like a Parsons/White. It's made by Paul McEwen in Conneticutt. I think it's called a "Slingshot" bender or something like that. It works very well and with the P-90 it's a lethal combination for country playing. Here's a couple of closer shots of it!
Image..........JH in Va.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I got an Artist like that in sunburst for $50 at a yard sale some years ago, a very fine guitar. Most of The Ibanzes from that era I've played are stellar guitars. Wish I still had it!
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

Very very nice guitars.. I had an 82 Ibanez Artist AM205 for some time. It was a really nice guitar.
Steve Stallings
Emmons Legrande II 8X5
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

I had one of the deluxe models with the tree of life inlay on the fretboard. Heck of a good guitar!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Nice looking guitar, Jerry - where are you going to put it???

:D

best to both of you...
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Good question Roger, I don't have any closet space left for guitars so I'll probably put this one on a stand and leave it out as it's so purty, I know Kay'll love that!.........JH in Va.