Selling my Franklin

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Hoare

Selling my Franklin

Post by Ben Hoare »

Hello all dont know whether to post this here or for sale as Im not selling anything yet.Ive been considering recently selling my Franklin d10 steel as I bought it to learn c6 and am proving I never will.Also considering the current financial climate it is more steel than Im worthy of.I think Ill go back to a single neck steel I have a family member working in the US who I am going to send it over with and sell it there as there is more demand for this type of steel I believe.Is there anything I should consider before doing so on the other side of the globe.I intend to sell it privately I think.Any advice would be apreciated.
Ben
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I'll buy it ..incoming email
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Call Paul Sr. 615 865-4754
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

I would post it in the for sale side, and put "make offer", then decide if the offers are good.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

As someone who traded my Franklin and eventually got it back, I would suggest strongly that you think very carefully before you sell it. The likelihood of finding another is pretty limited, so you may be making an irreversible decision if you do sell it.

I don't consider any guitar a "holy grail" - they each have advantages and disadvantages. But to my tastes, Franklins are pretty unique in a lot of ways, and I'm very glad I have mine.

If you are hell bent to have a single-neck guitar, you might consider offering to trade for an S-10 or SD-10 Franklin (plus some $) if you like that feel and sound.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do at all, just suggest some options. If you do sell it, there will be a lot of people interested - it looks to be in very nice shape.
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

Since you have decided the C6th copedent is not for you, you could convert the back neck to something related to the E9th, like Sacred Steel or a D9th with some different changes. You wouldn't have to learn something complitely different.
John McGlothlin

Post by John McGlothlin »

My advice would be...if you are use to the E9th tuning and would like to take up the C6 tuning also...I would hang on to it and play the C6 because you will be amazed at how simple it is to work the C6 tuning and you have a million times the machine there to do it with a Franklin guitar.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Keep it!!!
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

It's okay to sell it and you'll make someone that wants one happy. :)
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

John McGlothlin wrote:My advice would be...if you are use to the E9th tuning and would like to take up the C6 tuning also...I would hang on to it and play the C6 because you will be amazed at how simple it is to work the C6 tuning and you have a million times the machine there to do it with a Franklin guitar.
I know I'm off-topic but I can't help responding to this. I've played E9th for 25 years (also guitar for 45 years) and have a good grounding in music theory, and I do not agree that it is simple to play the C6th tuning. It may be simple to play simple stuff on C6th--just press a pedal and rake across a bunch of strings and you get a big fat close-voiced chord--but playing anything I consider worthwhile is quite complicated and difficult from my vantage point. Not nearly as intuitive as E9th. And even the great stuff Emmons or Jernigan play on it doesn't float my personal boat enough for me to sweat out trying to learn how to do it. I've got enough on my plate with two instruments.

So the C6th necks on my doublenecks are just armrests. But I don't sell them because I just plain like the guitars too much! And who knows, maybe some day........
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Ben,Keep it! ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

the great stuff Emmons or Jernigan play on it doesn't float my personal boat enough

Brint, you must be a lousy boatsman mate :D
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

If I could play the C-6th like Emmons or Jernigan, I'd be at a local mall with a D-10 Emmons and a big "tip jar".
John McGlothlin

Post by John McGlothlin »

I have found in just the past couple of years that the pedal steel guitar is like any other instrument...first they all operate on the same musical scale. Both the E9th tuning and the C6 tuning have one thing in common and that is...they are complicated simply because they are so doggon simple to play. I am no professional by no means whatsoever but I have found that learning something complicated only happens that one time and after you learn it then its down hill all the way from there. You have to push yourself to learn any instrument and keep a positive attitude with it and you will master it.
Last edited by John McGlothlin on 1 Apr 2009 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

As a matter of fact, I'd be happy if I had Gary's talent.
Manfred Schall

Post by Manfred Schall »

PM sent.

MS
Ben Hoare

Post by Ben Hoare »

Thankyou Dave,Rich and Aj and all for suggestions.I didnt expect such an overwhelming response so quickly due to the high number of emails I have recieved I shall make another post as A.J suggested at sometime with more photos details and any scratchs flaws,etc so that everyones clear on what she is.We may be jumping the gun a little as Im not sure of when I can get it over yet though should be later this year if Im to transport it.But Ill try and respond to everyone who contacts me with interest.To Dave Stu and those who say don't sell......
I know,Ive heard this guitar played by much better steel players than me and wow ,she sounds remarkable,theres definitely something about them.Dave Ill think about your suggestion of a trade with someone who has a single ,hadn't thought of that.Ill post again soon.
Oh and I like E9 And C6 when both are played well just doesnt work for the way I think if I could do what Buddy,Paul,Hughey or any of those guys do in C6 Id be ecstatic.
Thanks again Ben[/i]
Damien Odell

Post by Damien Odell »

G'day Ben,

You could always try to sell it over here before trying to worry about sending it O/S....

I can almost see it sitting in my music room too....

Good luck with it,

Damo

PS - thanks for giving Rose Carleo my number for a gig, I appreciate it.
Dean Gray

Post by Dean Gray »

Hey Ben, how's things?

I am finally getting my hands on a pedal steel, (and feet and knees, I guess!), a nice old Sho Bud, which I am able to borrow for a while to get started on. I will be looking to buy my own steel sometime in the next 12 months.... if you are in no big rush to sell, and don't want to ship O.S., maybe we can work something out.

I am slowly "doing the rounds" and trying to meet as many Sydney (and further afield) steel players, and would love to catch up with you sometime, if that suits you. Hey Damien - you're next!!

Did you ever find that lap steel body you were after?
The more I learn, the less I know!
Damien Odell

Post by Damien Odell »

Dean,

You're welcome anytime. I have 2 steels set up, a big espresso machine and a beer fridge.

Come on in,

Damien
Brian Kurlychek

Post by Brian Kurlychek »

Are Franklins still being made? It looks as if you can order one on the Franklin site.
We live to play another day.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Seems like you should try to sell it in your part of the world first. You'll get more for it there. That's one of the best PSG made. There aren't many of them anywhere, much less down there. And there may be someone down there that wants one. Once it is back in the States, it will sell for the lower prices here. It'll be like you are giving up the extra shipping costs you originally paid. In fact, you will be paying that cost twice, since it will cost to bring it back here.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Ben - not sure how long you have been playing steel, but IMO you should hang on to it!! You will find that you will want to have another crack at C6th further down the line .... and you will kick yourself for having sold the D10 ... I don't think Paul Senior is taking anymore orders for guitars either so you won't get your hands on another Franklin in a hurray !

Keep it mate ---- or sell it to me :D --- I'm only a quick plane ride away !
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jerry Eilander

Post by Jerry Eilander »

I'm with David,
keep it here,you can put it up for sale on the
"brisbane steel," side
if its in good nick, I will be intrested also,
cheers Jerry
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

Ben, I also think that you would be making a big mistake selling your guitar.