where are all the gospel music steel players?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

I haven't gone anywhere...
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I have played in a couple, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I know if someone calls me today and wanted me to play in one,I would go for it. There's nothing like Praising His name in song. Tommy Shown :)
Walter Hamlin

gospel steel

Post by Walter Hamlin »

Count me in too. Been playing about 30 years. Several groups and in church. I was influenced by the Goodmans, Hinsons, Kingsmen, Dixie Echos, Hemphills and others. This is the only music I love to play.
Gary Dillard

Post by Gary Dillard »

I'm still around even though I don't play anymore. But...still here and enjoying reading the forum.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Gary, didn't you play for the Kingsmen, back in the mid 80's? Tommy Shown
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Here is your's truly laying some gospel down at a little country church in Minnesota. Every year they have an open house. It is a very historic Lutheran church out in the country. I play together with my "Speckled Bird Band" (BIAB).
It's what I do!

Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

If you want to hear the kind of music we play at Christian Life Church in Austin, go here.

http://savefile.com/projects/888796

There are four songs you can download and there's even one that borders on country. LOL. These were recorded directly off the board during service, so you will hear a few clinkers here and there. Lot's of folks think the steel doesn't fit into Contemporary Christian music, but I think it fits pretty good.

By the way, I'm on the left and the lead guitar is on the right, stereophonically, not politically.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Where are all the Gospel Steel players/

Post by Bishop Ronnie P Hall »

Hi Mike,
I`m on here as well, representing the Sacred Steel style, of Gospel Steel players, and there are a few instrumental numbers on here as well! Enjoy
Bishop Ronnie P. Hall
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I play pedal steel and dobro on occaision with our worship praise band at www.bereanbaptist.com
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Well, I'm a Christian and I play Gospel steel and travel to various churches when invited.

Also, I sometimes get to play on recording sessions that are all Gospel music in nature. I enjoy that immensely, since HE is worthy of all praise, glory and honor!

There is also a Christian Steel Website and I know several well-known steel guitarists who are Christians too.

May GOD bless you!

Terry Wood
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

I'm right here.

I play a Cowboy Church every Thursday evening and a Methodist Church Service every Sunday morning.

Sometimes PSG, Sometimes Reso, Sometimes both in the same Service.
Tony Rankin

Me too!

Post by Tony Rankin »

I've been playing with a southern gospel quartet out of Dayton, Ohio, for over ten years and have been averaging forty plus appointments per year. I've also started doing a few gospel sessions.

I've had a lot of fun over the years trying to learn some of the licks played by Gary Dillard, Mikey D., Scotty and Sonny G., that gave so many gospel tunes their great flavor/appeal. I can't forget Lloyd, John Hughey and Paul Franklin here either.

Some of the best steel I've ever heard has been on gospel recordings. Lloyd's recording with the Goodman's live in Huntsville is one of my very favorites of all time.
Tony Rankin
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

You guys who play in churches and cathedrals have fantastic acoustical environments to play in. :D
Jerry Eilander

Post by Jerry Eilander »

When I'm on for 'Worship leading",
I pick songs suitable for steel,
thats once every month or so,
and if it wasn't for ERV, I would still be playing "Country"
its defently my bigest joy to play gospel.
and the response is always overwelming.
sometimes I think ,is it me or the pastor that gets new people in, :lol: :lol: ;-) .
cheers from" down under"
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

I've been playing PSG or Dobro in the "Contemporary" (folk) choir at the Catholic church I belong to, since fall of '05.
Del Ray Grace

Post by Del Ray Grace »

I play with a Sacred Steel Band called the Amazing Grace Praise Band.I recently posted some video clips of our live performances below,We love to "Praise him on the stringed instruments".
Enjoy,
Del

http://www.sacredstrings.com/AGPBVIDEOS.html
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Steel pickin' for Jesus. :D :D :D :D :D
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I am really blessed by this post. And thanks to the Lord for being able to assist steelers to "give Him praises on an instrument of 10 strings" through the help of my gospel tabs.
God is good, all the time! :D
Bill Stroud

Great Music

Post by Bill Stroud »

I play for a gospel group called the The Borders from Union City Tn great muscians and singers, but the main thing is they live what they are singing about.
Great music, I love it.
Bill
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Erv Niehaus wrote:I am really blessed by this post. And thanks to the Lord for being able to assist steelers to "give Him praises on an instrument of 10 strings" through the help of my gospel tabs.
God is good, all the time! :D
Amen Erv
Tommy Shown
Tommy Taylor

Post by Tommy Taylor »

Gospel is all I play now.I am very fortunate that our church has a great band. We play that old time southern gospel music and the congregation loves the steel guitar. Our music director plays a little steel too. I am blessed.

Tom
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

I'm another wanna-be. I'm studying towards that goal.
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

Have not played in a little while but count me in in this post as well.My wife Karen and I do a lot of gospel recordings here at home.
Here is a sample from what we are doing at home.Enjoy

Karen Kaylee - Lord are you listening

Karen and Ron
Gary Steele

Playing Gospel

Post by Gary Steele »

Thats where my heart is also. There is no better feeling than playing Gospel. I'm planning shortly to start playing in a church just at the edge of Columbus. I will post the address when i start incase you are around or travelling thru. I really admire people that dedicates there music to doing Gospel. I done a lot of singing back a few years ago and never hardly played steel for 10 years. I'm sorry i done that, But you cant cry over spilled milk. Maybe we all should get something going where we can book each other at our churches and or have a special night for just a concert or whatever. Maybe someone that knows alot about booking could post something about this. If anyone has any ideas on this let us all know.

Thanks, Gary
Johnny Thomasson

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

Yep. Fiddle too.
Johnny Thomasson