Monster Cables

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Wright

Monster Cables

Post by Dave Wright »

Just wanted to let y'all know that I just bought these Monsters, and let me tell you what. These are unbelievable :D . Its a far cry different sound than the old cords.. Also, would like to now if anyone else uses them.?.
SD-10 Carter 4&5, Fender Steel King
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

They are very good, expensive but good, Sometime ago their was a thread about this and alot of guys favor gearge l's, because they like the solderless option and you can make a repair quick, I will never understand this when their are so many better cables and to me I would want a solder cable versues a non-solder.

The guy also has a nice Bentley
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Actually, they're kind of a rip-off. A signal is either on or off.
http://consumerist.com/353938/monster-c ... 80-markups
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

No comment about the cables--never used them--but beware...you are vulnerable to lawsuit if you use the letter 'M' for anything other than their product. Or if you read the word 'monster' aloud without adding "Monster cables are wonderful".
I'm joking. Except that I'm not.
Jim Kennedy

Post by Jim Kennedy »

If you like them, that's great. There has been much discussion about cables and various quality of cables here in the past. Over the years I have read several articles where new cables were used in both blind fold studies and then the test equipment was pulled out to measure actual quantifiable data such as signal attenuation, frequency range and such. The bottom line in these studies are always the same. In a blindfold test professional--studio musicians, top tier working musicians, name artists--can't tell the difference. There are differences between cheaper, and top quality cables, such as monster, that can be measured with the proper test equipment. I myself have never been able to hear it. I use cables which are well made with good shielding, and I try to keep them away from a.c. lines and equipment that generates a lot of noise.
ShoBud Pro 1, 75 Tele, 85 Yamaha SA 2000, Fender Cybertwin,
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

It just never goes away........... :lol:
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
John Gould

Post by John Gould »

They made a big difference in my home studio.
But I do have to say they are not the best buy out there. They are high priced, but the way they make them makes sense if you think of the physics of how waves travel down the wire. I've tried them on my live rig and didn't notice as much of a difference.
A couple of guitars
Nashville 1000 Fender Mustang III Boss Katana MKII 50
Emmons LeGrande II and Sho Bud Pro II
Joshua Grange

Post by Joshua Grange »

Cal Sharp wrote:Actually, they're kind of a rip-off. A signal is either on or off.
That article is referring to digital home theater HD cables for the "on or off" argument. There is in fact a difference in audio cables.

But Cal, I agree with you about them being a kind of rip-off.
Perhaps, yes, they might be made to a higher standard and may use more costly materials; however it doesn't necessarily give you more favorable results.

In some setups the extra 'clarity' may be what's needed, other setups not so much.

Anyone ever hear of Zaolla cables? 15' cable is $99.
http://www.shorelinemusic.com/accessori ... agodXXsfpw
Gordy Hall

Post by Gordy Hall »

As a person who has sold retail and wholesale cables in many different places, I can tell you that Monster Cables will provide no measurable difference to the sound of your instrument, recording, nor studio.

I can tell you that the SAME cable is sold by the SAME manufacturers without the excess packaging and prices to the distributors that sell the cable, and some of those distributors charge much more than others.

"Monster' does not own its own factories, nor produce the actual cables they sell.

They are branded as 'Monster', but NOT manufactured by 'Monster' using special secret processes.
Dekley S-10, tangled fingers and feet
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I have tried 'em, but I would not buy 'em.

The main issues for instrument cables are performance factors (like construction quality, shielding effectiveness, and capacitance per unit length), and price. There are numerous cables out there which have (IMHO) every bit the performance of Monsters and radically better performance/price ratios. George L's come to mind immediately, but there are numerous cable "shootouts" in guitar, audio and other rags that discuss this ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

If you like 'em, great. I think there are much better choices, all things considered.

All of the preceding is in my very humble opinion.
Dave Wright

Post by Dave Wright »

They are rather pricey.(Lifetime warrenty thou) And, I do hear a difference. When I unboxed them, I played for a few minutes with my cords, and then switched over to the monsters. There is a difference. I am playing strait through the amp.(no Effect what so ever).. I promise you, I had to reset all the settings on it. It seems like it gave it a "warmer" low end sound. :? . Maybe its just what they call the placebo effect.
SD-10 Carter 4&5, Fender Steel King
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

Even if I ever thought they were worth the cost - and there's really no threat of that - I'd never buy them because I don't want to support their way of doing business. I'm all for companies protecting their brands and patents but am allergic to corporate bullies.

Here's one of many links, though, to what may go down as the most entertaining response to their, or anyone else's, over-the-top attempts at mowing down the competition in an unnecessary manner:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industr ... rikes-back

In either case, and back to the topic at hand, do they sound good? To my ears they sound okay. But since when is an average sound for a regal price supposed to be a good deal?
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

They are rather pricey.(Lifetime warrenty thou)
Practically any decent cable I've used in the last 30 years has a "lifetime warranty". The hitch is always that you have to keep the packaging and receipts, send that back, and blah blah blah. Almost nobody does this. It's a cheap "give".
And, I do hear a difference. When I unboxed them, I played for a few minutes with my cords, and then switched over to the monsters. There is a difference.
A difference as compared to what? A good quality, low capacitance cable like George L's or some kind of cheap cable? There are a lot of cables out there, and their performance varies widely. A good place to start is with this Guitar Player article - http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/49- ... r-08/34729 - but there are lots of good cables that aren't on the list. They don't rate the $39 Monster nearly as high as the $36 George L's, and I concur. Do you have one of the $150 or so Monsters? Otherwise, I'll bet it's inferior (to my tastes) than the George L's.

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of anything, but I've used tons of cables over the years and there are definitely differences - mainly in construction quality, shielding, and capacitance per unit length, the latter of which definitely has an effect on sound. But my question is whether or not there are other cables that would sound as good or better without paying so much money. I think there are.

Again, that's my opinion.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

George L's are a far better cable.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Chris, that letter at your link is great! When he brings up their tax shelters in Bermuda? Awesome!
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Allow me to echo John's post. That is, the link that is in Chris' reply is simply outstanding. Ya gotta' love the last few paragraphs of the letter.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

There are different models of Monster cables in different price categories. In the Guitar Player comparison only the top priced ones rated especially high. In every category there were other cables that were as good or better, sometimes at lower prices. I've used them for their availability and durability, but never heard anything special with them, but I don't think I've ever used the highest priced Monsters.
Johnny Thomasson

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

I started out using top of the line Monster cables, thinking the most expensive must be the best. After copping some sage advice obtained here on the forum, I switched to George L's. I couldn't believe the difference. It was like I took a wet blanket off my amp.

That's been my experience, YMMV.
Johnny Thomasson
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

I use MONSTER on my home entertainment system. For PSG, its hard to beat George-L cable. Easy to roll up for your steel seat, good tips, and sound good. Far better then those thick bulky cables.
http://www.georgelsstore.com/custom.html
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

There was another discussion re Monster:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... ter+cables
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Chris, I'm up to page 19 of the responses at your link. Great discussion goin' on there! Monster Cable sues anyone with the word "Monster" in their name! A site for young people who are interested in skiing was forced to settle. So was Disney! They settled too! I'm gonna name my new band "Monster Cabal." Well,,,, maybe not. I don't wanna get sued!
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Brad Malone

Monster Cables are great.

Post by Brad Malone »

Dave Wright, I 100% agree with you about Monster cables..they are great IMHO
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I bought a set of Monsters and returned them the next day. I thought they cut out a significant amount of highs and detail compared to the GL's. They actually sounded no better than the cheapie Guitar Center cords my son uses.

As far as warranties are concerned, Dave M is right. Hardly anyone is organized enough to keep and file away receipts for guitar cables. On the other hand, George L seems to provide the ultimate warranty....the cable can be fully repaired by the user in about five minutes.

With the cost of GL ends being about $5 each and cable about $1.55/ft (Musician's Friend), a quality 10 foot cable is only about $26, and the cost of a three footer is about $15.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

I got into a previous fray about cables, as mentioned, in earlier posts. Yet, another bottomless pit of splitting hairs.

But beyond the 'my-cable is-better-than-yours' debacle, my gut feeling, since the advent of monster trucks smashed our sensibilities (or at least mine), that any product or entity with the preface 'monster', by all means, should be treated dubiously and suspiciously. ie. really meant for that mentality that thinks bigger and uglier is better; and, of course, still expects much recognition and praise.

Who was in charge of calling an expensive audio cable "monster"? Teenage band members in a suburban garage with (in most cases) little or no money - were they the big marketing target? I think so.
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5; Keyless; Natural Blonde Laquer.