Well, Keith Bilbrey DOES play steel, so I'll put this here..

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

I read of this in Bobbe's newsletter, and of the changes coming to the Opry. As some have written, it is part of the passing of time and a generation.

Older residents of this community (Fargo-Moorhead) complain of the format changes on the radio dial, with nobody playing the records and artists they love. They go on and on about how many older radio listeners there are; why won't somebody play their music? It comes down to money.

A commercial radio station stays on the air by selling commercials, and advertisers want to reach "persuadables." That means the people who can be lured to a different store or a different brand. Older people have developed brand and store loyalties, so they are less "persuadable." Besides that, they already have a houseful of furniture.

The answer, for folks that want to hear older music and familiar voices, would be a listener-supported, volunteer-staffed station (public radio.) Otherwise, do what I do, and listen to Live 365.com (and SteelRadio.com) on the internet. But that doesn't bring the familiar voice, nor the live, up-to-the-minute weather.

"Time Changes Everything." Still, I don't see how it can be the Grand "Old" Opry without the grand old stars.
Chris Scruggs

Post by Chris Scruggs »

There is a petition to keep Keith on the air. Go to PetitionOnline.com and search for Keith Bilbery.
Gary Preston

Upset

Post by Gary Preston »

:( I might as well stick my foot in my mouth ! There has been a bunch of the ''NEW '' so called country stars that have '' NEVER '' paid their dues to become a country star . This thing on T.V. that has made millions of dollars off people that really don't know real music should be ashamed of themselves ! We still have some great country artist out there that know real music and then there are the others that think they do . I'm not saying that some of the new artist can't sing but are they country i don't think so !!! Any more if i see a so called country artist singing on the tube without a '' Steel Player '' the channel will be changed fast . I think Keith played real country . I'm sorry but i don't like changing or fixing something that isn't broke in the first place ! I wonder how many years experience the people that replaced Keith has in the industry ? I understand now that when a steel player turns a certain age he is no longer welcome in country bands . When a steel player has been around for a long time he knows and understands the real feel that needs to be in a group.Here i go letting my true feelings known to the whole world and maybe got off topic . Sorry about that . Best wishes to Keith . :evil:
Rex Thomas

Post by Rex Thomas »

That's just WRONG. :x
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I got to watch out, I'm trying hard to bite my tongue here and watch what I say here. It's totally sad day for country music. Tommy Shown
:x
NEWS FLASH--- WSM has changed their stations' motto
from "We Shield Millions to We Screw Millions".
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Randal Smith wrote:Just replied to Bobbe's email. Then I noticed this thread and thought I'd post this here.

I only met Keith Bilbrey once, when I was privileged to play live on his radio show. I found him a gracious, wonderful gentleman. I am not sure why he was "relieved of his duties", but I would not be surprised if it's because he is part of the old guard who loved the Opry for what it was, not what the new management wants it to be.

When I was driving to work today, I happened to notice the huge lighted sign at Opry Mills advertising who would be there. Taylor Swift was at the top of the list. Not one of the acts listed was over 30. Not one of them was what I would call "classic country".

I also read in today's Tennesseean that the CMA Music Fest (that's Fan Fair to you and me) would feature several stages with variety acts such as pop-rock group The Gabe Dixon Band.

I have to agree with Smiley's cap.

CMA = Country My Ass
I agree with you Randal & Hal Tommy
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Hello Gary Prston,That's been my point all alone.Tell the truth and it can get fixed.but,sit on it and nothing gets done. That's what wrong with people who can just talk about fixing what other keep messing up. They always have to turn a good thing into pollution.But,I guess that's what sells. My Opinion holds no water. Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.
Roger Light

The night we met Mrs. Bilbrey

Post by Roger Light »

Our trip to the Opry and the night we sat with Mrs. Keith Bilbrey.

So we had our plans all made. We were to take a trip to “Music City” hit the Opry on Friday night and then do the Broadway thing on Saturday. When we had arrived at will call at the Ryman to pick up our tickets for the Friday night show we found out that Charlie Daniels would be inducted on Saturday night. Well, our friend who came with us is a huge CDB fan. We asked it there were tickets available for Sat night. There were a few seats left. We found 5 seats right in the middle under the “Confederate Gallery” right in the middle, but the isle seat was blocked out on the seating chart. We didn’t think anything more about this until we had arrived Sat for the show. Finally, before the show started a lady sat down in that seat. I stuck up a conversation with her and asked why that seat was not on the seating chart. She replied, “it is a comp seat” to which I said “do you know someone on the Opry?” She said “well kind of, my husband is one of the announcers.” I said, “Eddy Stubbs”. She replied and said, “oh my no, that’s my husband up there right now. Now we knew it was none other than Mrs. Bilbrey. We had a nice chat before the show started and she wanted to know who my favorite performer was and of course I told her that I enjoyed all of them that used steel guitar and that my favorite on the stage was Tommy White. She said what a nice man Tommy was and wanted to know if I a had a business card and she would see that Tommy got it and tell him hello for me.

My point of this long story is that Mrs. Bilbrey was the most gracious lady you could imagine and I’m sure Keith Bilbrey is just as nice of guy too. It’s sad to think we won’t be hearing his voice on the “Air Castle of the South on the world famous Grand Ole Opry any longer!
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

It saddens me that the GOO let Keith go. Where will it all end. My sympathy to him, and his family, and co-workers. I have a question for anyone reading this note. Who owns the Ryman? Is it Gaylord, or some other company, or person? Would just like to know for my own mind. I think someday we will see a show that plays good country music, and will wipe out all the hollering, and distorted guitars, along with the scuzzy looking dress apparel, and just play country, and bluegrass.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Nothing against Tommy White, but they changed the staff band at the Opry, what was the reason behind, them letting the old band go? I'm talking about Spider, Leon, Sonny, Weldon, Jimmy? And please don't tell they are too old, or too country. I'm of the opinion that If they can still "git with it",they need to be playing. I watched GAC about a month ago when they honored Tater, I saw Keith that night. It seems to me that the Mr.Fischer and the other top dogs at the Opry are two faced and Hypocritical, they honored Jimmy Dickens (aka Tater for all you yankess) and now they are doing this? What in the world is going on here? I can understand what Keith is gooing through at this time. YOU DON'T TAKE LOYAL AND DEDICATED PEOPLE AND PUT THEM OUT TO PASTURE LIKE THEY WERE AN OLD HORSE OR COW. This is what is wrong with business and government.Keith I was in job for 23 years.Just 7 shy of retiring, when I was let go. Tommy
Pete Young

Post by Pete Young »

This guy has a great page on this and some other stuff related in his newsletter
http://www.countrymusicclassics.com/index.htm
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

WSM... "We Screw Millions."
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Michael Douchette wrote:WSM... "We Screw Millions."
Hey Mike, I don't think you own the copyright on We Screw Millions. I want my royalty money lol. Tomm