Supro Student model

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Ihde

Supro Student model

Post by Mike Ihde »

A student of mine came in with this guitar and I couldn't figure out why there was such a difference in volume between the low strings and he high strings. I took off the top magnetic plate and noticed that on each side on the bottom pickup are small rectangular magnetized pieces that hug the pickup and the top plate rests on them.

The problem is that one of the pieces is made out of wood! Not metal.
Where can I find a replacement piece for her?

I'll try to get pictures for you in necessary.

Thanks,

Mike
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Mike,

Some of the Supro/Oahu lap steels (with the string-though pickup) have one "dummy magnet". There is one actual magnet and one little block of wood painted grey to look like a magnet. The guitars came from the factory that way, particularly in the later years of the company, early 1960s.

Forum member Rick Aiello used to make... maybe still does make... high quality replacement magnets for those Valco lap steels. I put a set of his magnets in one of mine and there was a dramatic improvement in tone and output.

Did you try adjusting the little pole Screws on the pickup? The pickup should have six adjustable Screws, one for each string. Try turning the screws under the 'weaker' strings. That's more likely to solve the problem than replacing the magnets, in my opinion.
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 4 Mar 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Kimock

Post by Steve Kimock »

One magnet, one piece of wood painted silver is stock on some Supro guitars. Those pickups are super sensitive to pole piece height adjustment tho, that's probably what you're hearing.
My single magnet Supro works fine, not quite as loud and clean as the two magnet version, but still a ripping loud pickup.

Doug beat me to it! Ha. .
Alan Kirk

Post by Alan Kirk »

Contact Rick Aiello. He made/makes supro magnets. leilo@shentel.net
Everyone in the world has two jobs: 1) whatever they do for a living; and 2) music critic.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I posted a question about this last year called "The Dummy on the Lap Steel" ----> CLICK
Rich Hlaves

Post by Rich Hlaves »

Alan Kirk wrote:Contact Rick Aiello. He made/makes supro magnets. leilo@shentel.net
I have a set of Rick's, NiBro he calls them, magnets in a National/Supro/Valco/Dwight lap I own. What a huge improvement over the originals. The man know's his stuff!
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

As usual, you guys are the best. I saw her this morning, adjusted the screws and the steel sounds fine now.

Thanks again!