What Good is Music, Anyway?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Great piece, Jim. Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed reading it, and will forward it on to a few close friends who will appreciate it as well.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Y'know, Chris, I was just about to make a wisecrack that it doesn't apply to western swing. But then I thought back to this past New Year's Eve. We played a private function and everybody was up and dancing and really loving the music and we all had a great time, and I figured that was the end of it. But as I was packing up, a woman came up to me and told me that he had been clinically depressed ever since breaking up with her lover several months ago and that this was the first New Year's Eve that she was spending alone (i.e., unattached) and she showed up that evening really depressed. But she went on to say that our music had been an absolutely transformative experience for her, breaking her out of her deadlock with depression. It was truly gratifying to know that our music could actually be therapeutic for even just one person. This was just a more dramatic case but I'm now aware that it happens on a more subtle level all the time for lots and lots of people.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Those are the experiences that stick with you, though, aren't they? This woman was inspired by the music's power to make her forget, not remember, which was exactly what she needed. It works in so many ways. You can think of a bunch of reasons to play music, or to give it up. But in the end, the power to move people seems to be the most important reason to play - or to compose. I know that as a songwriter, I've had people tell me that my songs have helped them reach out to someone they couldn't talk to before, patch up bad relationships, give hope, etc. I haven't written a song in about two years. Not sure why, but I just stopped. When I think of these instances, after being reminded by this article, it makes me want to write again.
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Jim, I was very moved by this post. Lately I've been questioning the value of my life, and I needed to read this. Thank you.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

That was great Jim. Like most others there have been times when life was not that much fun. I always maintained faith in our Creator but I found music to be the vehicle that allowed faith and hope to come together. I don't play in church as much as I would like to but I feel that I have been Blessed to be able to give to others that which also gives me enjoyment.
Joe Law

Music

Post by Joe Law »

Jim,
Thanks very much for posting this article and your commentary.
I am not a musician ,but am very much musically inclined and get a good thrill at listening to a good artist or good piece of music, country or otherwise.

I have been amazed at the amount of talent the good Lord has bestowed on steel guitar players or musicians in general with so little monetary satisfaction as a payment for their skills.

There has to be a payment further down the line other than our listening pleasure.But, as stated by some of the respondents,there is a hidden appreciation that the artist will probably never fully know about as a reward.
Joe Law
Kevin Macneil Brown

Post by Kevin Macneil Brown »

Living 50 years has, at the very least, taught me that everything we do-- and the way we do it--might well have a profound effect on somebody who encounters it. When what we do involves riding on the awesome, ineffable power of music-- well, so much is possible...
Thanks so much for posting that, Jim.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

"Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast..."

(I intentionally left out the part about rocks and trees.) ;-)
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Music is a gift from the Creator to His creation. It is just another "voice" to communicate, both with the Creator and amongst ourselves.
Peter Dollard

Great Address

Post by Peter Dollard »

Dear Jim:
That was so on the mark I can't believe it. My father loved music but he felt(as many professional people do)that it was, impractical, that you couldn't really make a living at it, and if you did you could have had another career, a "real" career.
Despite his lack of enthusiasm for the business side he loved to sing with his sons after dinner; my brother and I playing both old folksongs and broadway tunes on our guitars and the songs that he had grown up with.We did this every night when we were home for vacations.How about ascribing a value to that Dad? Ah a deafening silence...
Dean Gray

Post by Dean Gray »

Thanks for that Jim, it certainly resonated for me.

I have been through periods of intense self-doubt, agonising over why I feel compelled to make sense of music, and felt extreme frustration at how slowly my level of technical proficiency seems to improve.
I even decided to walk away at one point, and for almost a year I was just a listener.

But I could not stay away, and even now I have a hard time explaining why, other than music is not just a part of me, but it is who I am. The article you posted explains it better than I ever could.

I do not make a living from music, I have a regular job for that. I do teach guitar part-time on the side, but I enjoy that and learn as much as the students do. I play because I have to, and because sometimes we are meant to play a certain thing at a certain time, for someone we don't even know.

Thanks again Jim.
The more I learn, the less I know!
John Hawkins

Music

Post by John Hawkins »

Jim ,
Thanks for posting that write-up by Karal Paulnack ! I indeed, like all kinds of music and appreciate the dedication that all musicians have given to their particular craft .

You may recall speaking with my Son Richard Hawkins sometime ago regarding your son's anticipated college selection / s . Richard ( as you may recall ) is the Professor of Clarinet at the Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio ! I intend to forward Karl's message on to him as I know he will appreciate the comments and feelings spelled out therein.. It may fit that he will use some of it in his day to day teaching of his students at Oberlin.

Of course, I am partial to the steel guitar ( that is my instrument ) but I am amazed at the time and study that Richard and many others like him, have contributed to prepare their careers and life's work .

Thanks for taking the time to share that important message that Mr Paulnack set forth for us all to enjoy and appreciate. Music heals !!!

Regards,
John